Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I like our young core, but trading our first next year would be foolish unless we're getting a franchise player back. There's no guarantee we make the playoffs again.
A franchise player...

That 1st is being dealt for a top 4 LHD if it isnt being used in the Karlsson 3-way

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If they cant get TJ to agree to the trade then they need to send someone without a NTC and i would accept Gourde. If the kid puts up another 60+ points he is going to nearly price himself out of TB anyway. If TJ wont wave then maybe we work a deal around Gourde with Serg going to OTT. We will still need to take Callahan and maybe Coburn who we can just buy out. Id love to get Stralman but i have a hard time thinking they would trade Stralman and Serg

Reactions: jorge martinez

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If they cant get TJ to agree to the trade then they need to send someone without a NTC and i would accept Gourde. If the kid puts up another 60+ points he is going to nearly price himself out of TB anyway. If TJ wont wave then maybe we work a deal around Gourde with Serg going to OTT. We will still need to take Callahan and maybe Coburn who we can just buy out. Id love to get Stralman but i have a hard time thinking they would trade Stralman and Serg

Makes sense, but yeah it is going to be difficult to make it work.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I just have a hard time believe anything we could offer to facilitate this deal will actually be in the best interest of our franchise long term. I want us to hold the assets we have and keep building from the draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well we either just take Callahan and get back some picks to make up for the ones we traded away last season, or we offer up a bit more and get another key piece.

Callahan’s contract is harmless and Shero has constantly showed the value of picks as trading pieces before. The more the better.

These proposals sending Zacha and Severson oit the door are absurd. No way we do well in that kind of giant trade, and it is too complicated to even get done.

Something smaller though can absolutely benefit us. EK is moving whether we help or not. Shero decided to screw Yzerman isn’t going to stop it. The Rags can easily just step in and do it instead.

Tampa also has to at some point soon trade away one or more really good players to make the math work. Cap simply isn’t going up enough for them. Why shouldn’t Shero move in and try to snake their cap crunch as he has done time and time again?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I think we are past the point of having to keep every first round pick. Im all for using one or two of the next three, if necessary, to acquire assets (28 or younger preferably) that help us compete within the time slot our two best players have (Hall and Vatanen are both 27). Youd want to be truly competitive before their 30 to be getting good use of their primes. This means making smart trades for some young roster players over the next two seasons, as well as a few prospects taking strides.

The goal IMO should be trying to compete for a cup by the 2019-2020 season. This next season is a big stepping period for some possible major players in the future contentions (Hischier, Butcher, Bratt, Severson) and we may not be able to make any great acquisitions this year if the market just isnt there. But that and another years time I think we could make one or two acquisitions to put us close to being a higher end team.

Last edited:

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Now as for what we need...

First, we have to trade for a #2LHD. Whether they need to be a true #2 is debatable, but as long as they are a #3 at worst and can play 22+ good defensive minutes - they are a gold mine for us. That should be ASAP because it is so vital.

xxxx - Vatanen
Mueller/Greene - Severson
Greene/Mueller - Butcher
Lovejoy

Next, we need a top 3-6 forward. At this point I think we can afford for it to be any position as long as they fit our mold and are a true top 6 talent. If needed Johansson can always play RW, Zacha can shift off center, or Bratt slides down to 3rd. Either way having too many good offenseman when it is affordable is never a bad thing.

Finally, we need a very young and promising goaltending prospect. I mean lets find out who the top 5-7 goaltending prospects are and pick one to go for. We need a surefire prospect to at least have some sort of future there. I know goaltending is so hard to predict but grabbing a Hart/Shestyorkin/Sorokin type would do wonders for the heart and mind.

So we can do all this, aye? Hischier and Bratt are on ELCs, Butcher is making scraps, and almost our entire bottom 6 is and likely will be making under 4mil (Zajac...). Palmieri is underpaid for what he can produce and Johansson, on accounts of some other posters here, should be able to carry his weight and more when healthy. We can not only afford these acquisitions but can relax thinking about future cap issues in the next 2-3-4 years because it is rising quite a bit as well as younger, underpaid players contributing a ton.

Last edited:

kiwidevil

I'd consider us receiving Johnson and Callahan as almost a zero asset (meaning Callahan's negative value cancels out Johnson's positive when you take contract age into consideration), considering the cap Tampa is saving.

I like the idea of us giving up a 1st to OTT and getting Stone though, and Tampa filling in the extra to make the difference. ( level A- prospect?).

Really fits the mould for OTT of not wanting to pay anyone, Tampa needing to make cap space, and the Devs using our only real asset, in cap space. Gives OTT a 1st they can't get from Tampa, too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Won’t trade the first for peanuts though. Would need to st least be a player+ for the cap dump and a first. I definitely don’t see the issue with taking Callahan for a couple of picks or a pick and a prospect.

Flip side we don’t actually have to do anything. We can sit tight and just roll the kids. See what Butcher, Mueller, and Santini bring. See what McLeod and Anderson bring.

We can improve as a team simply by adding new, younger, more talented players internally replacing the slugs (Stafford, Hayes) or the awful (Moore, Lovejoy).

Plus if we get better goaltending over an entire season this year we will be better by default. We were well on pace for a top 3 finish before Cory fell off a cliff and got hurt.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If we are helping the Lightning build one of the best D’s in the league then I want more than 26 year old rookie Yanni Gourde as the main piece to us. He screams Cory Conacher to me and it wouldn’t surprise me if he is the piece the Lightning are dangling in this trade.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So Ottawa is probably gonna move Stone too right? He’s due for a pay day soon. Maybe send them a younger cheaper Bratt plus some picks and prospects for Stone. I’d hate to lose Bratt but Stone would be our best RW by a lot.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'd consider us receiving Johnson and Callahan as almost a zero asset (meaning Callahan's negative value cancels out Johnson's positive when you take contract age into consideration), considering the cap Tampa is saving.

I like the idea of us giving up a 1st to OTT and getting Stone though, and Tampa filling in the extra to make the difference. ( level A- prospect?).

Really fits the mould for OTT of not wanting to pay anyone, Tampa needing to make cap space, and the Devs using our only real asset, in cap space. Gives OTT a 1st they can't get from Tampa, too.
That's pretty silly, getting a 55 point center in his prime signed long term gets cancelled out by spending like 6% of the cap for two years?

Absorbing Johnson and Callahan without giving up any salary still leaves us like 7M under the cap next season, when we'll have Lovejoy and Boyle coming off the books. Callahan will be gone in two years when all the big guys need new deals.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How are we a lottery pick team? Protect it top 10 I guess idk.

We could get Foote+ or Gourde I think with our 1st going the other way
Anyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team now. It's a big risk for a team on the margins like us to trade our 1st round pick unless we are getting a clear improvement to the team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Anyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team now. It's a big risk for a team on the margins like us to trade our 1st round pick unless we are getting a clear improvement to the team.

You could always build in protection against being a top ten pick the way the Blues did with the first-rounder in the O'Reilly trade.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

tenor.gif

Reactions: My3Sons and Blender

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Tampa also has to at some point soon trade away one or more really good players to make the math work. Cap simply isn’t going up enough for them. Why shouldn’t Shero move in and try to snake their cap crunch as he has done time and time again?

that's what is happening here though!
yzerman needs the room for EK and Kuch also.
TJ, Cally and .....
to us for taking over 11M next year and 5+M the next few with TJ contract, does not matter that TJ is an asset, the cap we eat has more value to TBL.

If they cannot get the haul so be it, but I would want no one else but ray there to be the one making it happen.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You could always build in protection against being a top ten pick the way the Blues did with the first-rounder in the O'Reilly trade.
Yes you can, but it's still a big risk if you end up being bad two years in a row.

Reactions: Billdo

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
I'd consider us receiving Johnson and Callahan as almost a zero asset (meaning Callahan's negative value cancels out Johnson's positive when you take contract age into consideration), considering the cap Tampa is saving.=.

We have tons of cap space. How would letting Callahan sit on our cap for two years cancel out the positive of getting Johnson?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
So Ottawa is probably gonna move Stone too right? He’s due for a pay day soon. Maybe send them a younger cheaper Bratt plus some picks and prospects for Stone. I’d hate to lose Bratt but Stone would be our best RW by a lot.
I just looked at his stats, he had 62 points in 58 games last season wow lol

Yes, Stone would be a very good piece to try and get. On top of that he's 26, I'm sure he's going to request a trade sooner then later

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's pretty silly, getting a 55 point center in his prime signed long term gets cancelled out by spending like 6% of the cap for two years?

Absorbing Johnson and Callahan without giving up any salary still leaves us like 7M under the cap next season, when we'll have Lovejoy and Boyle coming off the books. Callahan will be gone in two years when all the big guys need new deals.

Johnson is not in his prime, he turns 28 at the end of this month. His being signed long-term is a liability not an asset. I agree that he plus Callahan would not be free, but they shouldn't cost a lot either.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Our involvement, if any, is going to be like a cap dump+mid round pick for a low pick/AHL fodder to even out the contracts.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but the longer this goes on, the less I see EK going to Tampa. So many of Tampa's roster players with decent cap hits have some sort of NTC, and who in their right mind would waive to leave a beautiful city/cup contender regardless of EK/low taxes to come to NJ, let alone the tire fire that is the Senators?

Don't get your hopes up too high, y'all. We ain't getting Sergachev, Point, Kucherov, and probably not Johnson either.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->