Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Practices as well as nutritionists, psychologists, training regiments (I suppose these could be online now idk any specifics) and the biggest of all - the environment of being on the team and around the guys

this isn’t summer camp. he needs to play top pairing minutes and develop physically/mentally. him being a healthy scratch, albeit a psychologically and nutritionally healthy one, is not a good situation for our first round pick.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Practices as well as nutritionists, psychologists, training regiments (I suppose these could be online now idk any specifics) and the biggest of all - the environment of being on the team and around the guys

While what you're saying isn't necessarily wrong, is that really the best choice for his development? I tend to think he's better off playing big minutes another year in Junior, building up some strength, and coming into camp next year even better.

We've seen numerous times a kid will have a great camp, maybe even a great start to the season, and then fade away or completely fall off ~40 games into the season. I would've been fine giving him a few games, but if they had no intention of keeping him up for the whole season, they might as well send him down and let him get ready for his season with Spokane.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Some valid points. Yall may be right about the playing time , I can agree bigger minutes likely outweighs the positives of the NHL environment

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of he plays a few here and there until he works himself into a role (and didnt really type that out too well so I apologize) but at the same time I guess he cant go to the AHL and if he didnt make it he likely would take it a bit harder mid-season being sent down then early on like nowish.

alright ive changed my stance!

Reactions: Oneiro

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Late to the party, but I hope we give Dea a good shot. We could use another good RW. You never know, he could be this year's Yanni Gourde

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol, what were the offers?
I don’t even remember. What I do remember is the OP (a Devils fan) suggesting that Severson could be or should he in Binghamton. Most non-Devils fans seemed to actually stick up for Severson in the thread.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Late to the party, but I hope we give Dea a good shot. We could use another good RW. You never know, he could be this year's Yanni Gourde

Pens fans have had surprisingly good things to say about Dea, although he didn’t play a ton of NHL hockey there. The Shero/Hynes connection leads me to believe Dea will have every opportunity to stick.

Dea also likely means the end of Stafford, which I’m happy about.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The right side of our defense currently and in the immediate future would be among the worst in the NHL if we moved Severson for anything but an upgrade. Absurd to suggest we should just “get rid of him” when his replacement would be Steve Santini who hasn’t shown he’s even an NHL player.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Pens fans have had surprisingly good things to say about Dea, although he didn’t play a ton of NHL hockey there. The Shero/Hynes connection leads me to believe Dea will have every opportunity to stick.

Dea also likely means the end of Stafford, which I’m happy about.

I know nothing about DEA besides the great meme potential and what was said over the past 12 hours on here.

He sounds like a possible Gibbons replacement with more flexibility due to his ability to play center. Fair?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know nothing about DEA besides the great meme potential and what was said over the past 12 hours on here.

He sounds like a possible Gibbons replacement with more flexibility due to his ability to play center. Fair?

Just peeking over at the Pens' board, they seem disappointed to lose Dea. Most mock lineups they had for the WBS Pens had Dea at 1C. They seem to agree that he has earned a shot to stick in the NHL, and that opportunity likely wasn't going to happen in Pittsburgh.

I'd definitely tab him as a "Gibbons replacement" -- penalty killing seems to be the core of his game, and I've read that he has some scoring touch and a "pinpoint one-timer." He's listed as a C, but spent a lot of time at RW last year. His 5 games in PIT were played on the wing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring. I find this to be much more exciting than signing a guy like Stafford, who is largely a known quantity and who comparatively doesn't have a ton to play for.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Just peeking over at the Pens' board, they seem disappointed to lose Dea. Most mock lineups they had for the WBS Pens had Dea at 1C. They seem to agree that he has earned a shot to stick in the NHL, and that opportunity likely wasn't going to happen in Pittsburgh.

I'd definitely tab him as a "Gibbons replacement" -- penalty killing seems to be the core of his game, and I've read that he has some scoring touch and a "pinpoint one-timer." He's listed as a C, but spent a lot of time at RW last year. His 5 games in PIT were played on the wing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring. I find this to be much more exciting than signing a guy like Stafford, who is largely a known quantity and who comparatively doesn't have a ton to play for.

This is exciting to hear. Glad that he was thought of so highly by their fans. I too would prefer to have a new potential player of the future and now on the team, rather than a Stafford.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
2853D4F8-43F0-4514-9C1D-3245B80FAA01.gif
Is vatanane anchoring the pp this year?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Vatanen. Cmon

Couldn’t resist :laugh:

I would assume so with Butcher on PP2 but that may change through the season if Butcher out performs Vats.

We haven’t gotten but one game (the last one) this preseason with more than 50% of our real regular season lineup.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So Stafford traveled to Switzerland? Seems kinda crazy for a PTO

If he was released from his PTO he goes home and plays Fortnite or whatever he might do to kill time until some team calls him to ask about him signing on as a partial season injury replacement. At least this way he can stay in shape and gets a free trip to Europe. Not a bad deal.

Mike L

Feb 28, 2018
I'm not saying he is going to be the best D-man coming in when he does. But I think he played well enough to not be a surprise if he stayed. He is pretty comparable to Butcher in that sense, but Butcher 1) made it very hard to send him away with the amount of points he was putting up, directly or indirectly. and 2) There was more room to make the case to stay with or with out the points last year.

I think points aside, Smith looked better than Butcher did in his first few games. But you can't argue with the way Butcher produced.

I totally agree with you and think Smith looked better than Butcher. Smith is also a better skater than Butcher so I’m surprised they sent him down.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Ty Smith looked great offensivley, but he could use some work on D, more minutes in all situations, and putting on some weight. Which is why he should be in the WHL and was sent back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad