Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Miller hasn't played C for Tampa and probably should not as a 3C.

They have a solid top nine that there's no need to mess with. You don't want to add yet another finesse player to the third line in MoJo. They're better off using their assets for someone like Coleman, not that he's available, but a similar player would solidify their bottom six.
Yeah I mean, it's not a crazy thought for them just to keep everything as is because it's working well for them. And guys like Ferland/Simmonds might be a better fit for what they need but you never know what exactly their GM wants or what teams would be accepting of taking someone like Callahan back (which the Devils were rumored to last season).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Miller hasn't played C for Tampa and probably should not as a 3C.

They have a solid top nine that there's no need to mess with. You don't want to add yet another finesse player to the third line in MoJo. They're better off using their assets for someone like Coleman, not that he's available, but a similar player would solidify their bottom six.

Could you imagine them adding Coleman to their 4th line and penalty kill? Disgusting.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Could you imagine them adding Coleman to their 4th line and penalty kill? Disgusting.

Exactly. I don't know who is available around the league, but if they could add a reliable defensive forward who is an absolute pain in the ass to play against, their fourth line would wear teams down.

Something like Coleman - Paquette - Callahan will not be fun to play against in the playoffs.

Again, not saying Devils trade Coleman, just saying that type of trade makes more sense for the Lightning.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I can see your point but you undercut it with your last sentence. You don’t squeeze teams too hard because they’ll find someone to take on the Callahans of their roster and you’ll wind up with nothing. The Hurricanes did pretty well for themselves vulturing Teravainen from Chicago for Bickell’s contract. I see nothing wrong with targeting that kind of deal.

I'd much rather play hardball and end up with nothing, than be the sucker who takes on Callahan for a 2nd round pick or something.

If Tampa is willing to tack a Teravainen-esque piece onto Callahan, I do it, but do they have someone of that caliber? Maybe Cirelli?

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I don't know if it's been said before (I'm sure it has), but the lack of return for Zuc has tempered my expectations for Mojo. Considering Zuc has been much more productive and has not had the same recent injury woes.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Exactly. I don't know who is available around the league, but if they could add a reliable defensive forward who is an absolute pain in the ass to play against, their fourth line would wear teams down.

Something like Coleman - Paquette - Callahan will not be fun to play against in the playoffs.

Again, not saying Devils trade Coleman, just saying that type of trade makes more sense for the Lightning.

Callahan is slowly/not slowly losing his place on the team. I don’t doubt that the Lightning will try and attach a good asset to him this offseason to get him off the books.

I believe he has been a healthy scratch on again off again lately. Mathieu Joseph is someone you are missing on there that is a pesky player. He flies out there and has 13ish goals on the season if I’m remembering correctly. Coleman and his team controlled contract status and contract would fetch a lot.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any line with Callahan would be very fun for teams to play against in the playoffs. He’s the biggest bum they got after his longtime teammate Girardi.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I don't know if it's been said before (I'm sure it has), but the lack of return for Zuc has tempered my expectations for Mojo. Considering Zuc has been much more productive and has not had the same recent injury woes.

I think any first round pick for MoJo is going to be conditional based on him re-signing. The fact he's 3+ years younger than Zuccarello will work in our favour though, if he performs well with his new team his age should increase said teams appetite to re-sign him to a longer deal.

Can't see anyone giving us a 1st straight up though, i'd be happy to recoup the 2nd + 3rd we gave for him.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'd much rather play hardball and end up with nothing, than be the sucker who takes on Callahan for a 2nd round pick or something.

If Tampa is willing to tack a Teravainen-esque piece onto Callahan, I do it, but do they have someone of that caliber? Maybe Cirelli?

I would prefer someone not on their roster if it’s not a more well established player. Tampa has a knack of making certain guys look better than they really are since they will get looks with superstars here and there.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So in 21 less games Miles Wood has matched his assist total, 13, from last year. Fairly modest number, but a sign that his game has expanded.

The goals of course are not being scored at as high a rate, but his per 60 #'s from shots to corsi, to high danger are all up(a little), while only his scoring chances per 60 are down(again only a little).

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011

Two potential 1st rounders? Pretty good return to me

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Oh I’m not interested in taking Callahan for a 2nd. I want a young player close to the NHL with more than bottom potential. If the bonus for eating that deal is just a 2nd they can keep it.

Raddysh would be my personal choice. Big, RH RW with a nose for the net. Still developing but has top6 potential and might play great on Nico’s wing. Potentially fills a big need and it only costs a year of unused cap space.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
That Sens' 1st makes them a lot more liquid pick-wise, too. I doubt they'd hesitate much, if at all, to trade a 2nd+ for Johansson.

I forgot they have Ottawa's 3rd, too. That's another top-62ish pick.

As paper thin as their forwards are do they make a move for a winger or try to upgrade from Kerfoot at 2C? They are not too far removed from being terrible. It would be great to get their second since it will probably be a mid round pick.

I think Colorado is in a decent spot and Johansson wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Think of it like the trade we made for Grabner last spring. We were hanging on to a wild card spot and weren't in on the big names at the deadline. I think Colorado is in a similar spot. They're playing well, coming off a 7-1 win against Winnipeg and a 5-0 win in Nashville. The Avalanche make a ton of sense for one of the "secondary" trade options in Johansson

Reactions: My3Sons

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
I think Colorado is in a decent spot and Johansson wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Think of it like the trade we made for Grabner last spring. We were hanging on to a wild card spot and weren't in on the big names at the deadline. I think Colorado is in a similar spot. They're playing well, coming off a 7-1 win against Winnipeg and a 5-0 win in Nashville. The Avalanche make a ton of sense for one of the "secondary" trade options in Johansson

Colorado have also two first round picks and the other one will be top5 pick so they could trade their own first round pick away. I am not sure if they see Johanssons value so high.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Colorado have also two first round picks and the other one will be top5 pick so they could trade their own first round pick away. I am not sure if they see Johanssons value so high.
Even if we got their 2nd, they could potentially miss the playoffs so it could be a higher 2nd than anyone else's that would be trading for a rental.

-edit-
I'd consider it for their 2nd and Ottawa's 3rd that they own

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Proof of life: Taylor Hall. Cory and Noesen lol, Will Butcher Overlook Hotel, Trav gonna Trav.

oFoIRn0.png

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How about something like Johansson<-->Callahan+Cal Foote? Foote was Tampas first round selection (#14) at 2017.

Tampa has ~$6M to extend Point, and either re-sign or replace Coburn, Stralman, and Girardi.

With that in mind, Foote and his $925K entry-level contract are incredibly appealing to Tampa. I highly, highly doubt that he's moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad