Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
As someone who absolutely hated the Lovejoy deal, I would say the Devils came out even if not slightly ahead. It's not his fault he was put on a top pair with a declining Andy Greene in his first season here. I suspect that Butcher has been carrying him during the last year and a half, but there is value to be had in crushing your easy matchups and being a very good player on PK1.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
[QUOTE="Nubmer6, post: 156719705, member: 203115][/QUOTE]

pLaY HaRdEr!¡!¡!¡!¡

It can't possibly be your system, John. No way, no how.

When do one of these players snap and tell him to f*** off. None of these guys have played man to man since midgets and even then, they aren't really playing man to man. They know they're the ONLY team in the league playing this system and they KNOW it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
[QUOTE="Nubmer6, post: 156719705, member: 203115]

pLaY HaRdEr!¡!¡!¡!¡

When do one of these players snap and tell him to **** off. None of these guys have played man to man since midgets and even then, they aren't really playing man to man. They know they're the ONLY team in the league playing this system and they KNOW it doesn't work.

And if it was a good system then we would see teams using it or taking pieces from it.

The Devils were one of the early PP adopters of the drop pass last year and it was so effective most teams were using it at times by seasons end.

I haven’t seen one team adapt any piece of the Devils hybrid man/zone system which leads me to believe the rest of the league thinks it is awful.

Camille the Eel

[QUOTE="Nubmer6, post: 156719705, member: 203115]

pLaY HaRdEr!¡!¡!¡!¡

When do one of these players snap and tell him to **** off. None of these guys have played man to man since midgets and even then, they aren't really playing man to man. They know they're the ONLY team in the league playing this system and they KNOW it doesn't work.[/QUOTE]
Who was it fired a puck at Julien once - Niedermeyer maybe? But anyway Hynes was probably right.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Yeah really, even if Lovejoy was as bad as his detractors claim the guy got $2.5 million for 3 years, that's basically a pittance. Barely top four D money. The problem with him is he was barely a top four D, getting paid like barely a top four D but getting played like a top two D his first year cause the rest of the D sucked. The last two years he's played borderline top four D minutes and been better.

You could say Clowe was a horrible contract too except for the IR get out of jail free card. But everyone knew that was a sketchy contract when it was signed.

What do you mean the 'next two' lol...how about the last two :P

Do agree with the general point though, there is a bias here against older, stay-at-home guys.

There is also a bias against Damon severson who is the opposite of that. The D has played badly this year so everyone is getting hate. Ripping on Lovejoy as if we gave him a great contract is nuts, He makes 4-5 D money on a team with 15 mill in cap space. I don't like him because he is almost useless with the puck but it's not like he was a big ticket player, he's certainly better than Karl Alzner who actually was a big ticket guy.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Not sure if anyone will be able to get their hands on an extra bobblehead tonight at the game, but I would be more than happy to pay for shipping if anyone was able to or didn't want theirs. Would love to get my hands on one.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

giphy.gif

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This is a disgrace of a post. Lovejoy has done fine in his third pairing role here and has been serviceable his entire career. The bashing he gets by some on here is pathetic.

Only a matter of opinion. Many agree with Devils090. I will pay for the gas.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Only a matter of opinion. Many agree with Devils090. I will pay for the gas.
Yes it is time to move on from Lovejoy but calling him a ‘disgrace of a player’ is a joke and that’s what I called him out on.

Also, judging from the 0 likes on that post to my 10 and no one else agreeing with it doesn’t correspond to ‘many agree’ that he is a disgrace of a player.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Yes it is time to move on from Lovejoy but calling him a ‘disgrace of a player’ is a joke and that’s what I called him out on.

Also, judging from the 0 likes on that post to my 10 and no one else agreeing with it doesn’t correspond to ‘many agree’ that he is a disgrace of a player.

I have never liked Lovejoy, but he is not a "disgrace of a player." That's just a disrespectful thing to say about someone who is at least an nhl caliber D man. Tom Wilson is a disgrace of a player.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can understand going back to Kinkaid with stats like that. Perhaps they're looking to gauge his current mindset as well if they think there's a possibility to trade him before the deadline also. Even if they don't look to trade him, they'll want to give him some starts down the stretch also to help him from a contract side assuming they'll let him walk.

I know we've gone back and forth on goaltending for all eternity, and it won't be the most historical tenure here by a long shot, but I'll miss Keith wherever he goes. He's a good dude, great teammate and helped backstop us to our first playoff berth in half a decade last year on his incredible run. Don't know where things will go for him from here, but as long as he's a Devil I hope he ends his tenure here strong.

Reactions: My3Sons

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Who's opinion is it that if someone calls a player a "disgrace" is a joke? I can only assume you are a lawyer to make that statement. Are you a lawyer?

As for the number of likes does not make your case as there are more negative posts to Lovejoy's play throughout this forum.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Who's opinion is it that if someone calls a player a "disgrace" is a joke? I can only assume you are a lawyer to make that statement. Are you a lawyer?

As for the number of likes does not make your case as there are more negative posts to Lovejoy's play throughout this forum.

Lovejoy is not great and gets many comments for his play, calling him a disgrace is a bit much. You can not like a player and also not think he's a disgrace. The first part of your argument is a joke and it's not a good one.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

By every metric Lovejoy is a good 3rd pairing defenseman. To think otherwise is factually incorrect, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad