Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xll

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Without talking specific players, the biggest issue - broad brush issue, generality - with the roster is we need to be more physical. It's great thinking a fast, attacking game, but everyone's doing it and the clubs that are able to do it while putting a body on you are the ones that are going to succeed. Hockey continues to be a physical game. Boston plays fast but hits. Pittsburgh, ditto. Washington played slow last year and hit and won the cup, out hit Tampa in the eastern final on their way.

We are just so unphysical. We are allergic to contact. (That's why I want to keep Wood and Zacha, at least they have the tools for that kind of game. Free associating more, we are too small on the back end with Butcher nor is Smith heavy either).

So whatever we do, get a group together that can take the body on other teams consistently.

So go after Wayne Simmonds in the offseason?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
i mentioned this when the play happened and someone responded to me about andy greene doing it all the time? guess that makes it ok then?

It seems to happen a lot with Hynes breakout system. Seems to me that players are encouraged to take the untradional high-risk pass towards the center of the crease. One of the things that has happened a lot this season.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
hell no.

that contract will be brutal

I don't think so.

Simmonds can skate and that's the main reason why players like Lucic and all the other "enforcers" aren't able to keep up in today's game.

Depending on what his deal looks like, I'd be happy to add someone like him to our paper tissue soft lineup. We'd be basically replacing him for Schneider once his deals runs out in a couple of years and that's a move I'd make any day.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think so.

Simmonds can skate and that's the main reason why players like Lucic and all the other "enforcers" aren't able to keep up in today's game.

Depending on what his deal looks like, I'd be happy to add someone like him to our paper tissue soft lineup. We'd be basically replacing him for Schneider once his deals runs out in a couple of years and that's a move I'd make any day.

I want absolutely nothing to do with any type of Wayne Simmonds contract

the exact type of player we should be avoiding. He'll be 31 this summer.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
tumblr_ouuolti2mG1vmp1bio1_400.gif

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
We’re in a weird spot. We aren’t making the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see a point in tanking either. Hughes/Kakko really didn’t impress me very much in world juniors. To be honest, I don’t think Hughes has any chance of playing in the nhl next year.

I would advise against judging players solely on one short tournament.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It seems to happen a lot with Hynes breakout system. Seems to me that players are encouraged to take the untradional high-risk pass towards the center of the crease. One of the things that has happened a lot this season.

Severson is guilty of this more than anyone else but this season he has seemed to lower these plays pretty dramatically.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Severson is guilty of this more than anyone else but this season he has seemed to lower these plays pretty dramatically.

The fact that multiple players do it and it is something that is beaten into your head as a young hockey player never to do makes me think its correctable and also an implemented strategy by the coaching staff. I notice a lot of teams do it much more than years past.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The fact that multiple players do it and it is something that is beaten into your head as a young hockey player never to do makes me think its correctable and also an implemented strategy by the coaching staff. I notice a lot of teams do it much more than years past.
Everyone around the league does it.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Everyone around the league does it.

Yeah its a trend that was working a lot more on the onset as attacking forwards pick up on it— the success rate drops. I just think we are seeing the adjustment to the initial success. I’m sure teams will drop it as they find alternate solutions. Hell wood had like the same opportunity.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Cordell is advocating trading Kinkaid by the deadline. What kind of return do you think we would get for him? I would be happy with a second contingent upon MBW’s health.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If Hall has to go the asset return is one thing but I’m more concerned with the message it sends to the young players about their long term prospects with the team. Hopefully they wouldn’t get too dejected or think the team has no chance without him.

its just business though and they shouldn't take it to heart. the isles are doing ok without JT there

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cordell is advocating trading Kinkaid by the deadline. What kind of return do you think we would get for him? I would be happy with a second contingent upon MBW’s health.

Nada, we’d be doing well to get a 3. A 5th is the highest I see him getting at this point. On what playoff contender is his 3+ GAA and sub .900 save going to be an improvement? And as a backup no less. You might get a 5 from a non playoff team desperate for depth to finish the season but honestly we’re one of those teams that needs depth to finish the season.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Yeah its a trend that was working a lot more on the onset as attacking forwards pick up on it— the success rate drops. I just think we are seeing the adjustment to the initial success. I’m sure teams will drop it as they find alternate solutions. Hell wood had like the same opportunity.

Similar to drop passes on the PP, you need to make adjustments depending how the defense positions themselves. Think QB option plays in football.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
When he washes out of the league. A useful NHL player isn’t a bust. A disappointment sure, but not a bust.

you can absolutely still be a bust and still be a useful nhl player.

question if the devils knew this was what zacha would look like do you think they still take him at #6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad