Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We’re in a weird spot. We aren’t making the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see a point in tanking either. Hughes/Kakko really didn’t impress me very much in world juniors. To be honest, I don’t think Hughes has any chance of playing in the nhl next year.

so what?

Ty Smith isn't playing in the NHL this year, do we not think he will help us long term?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would literally listen to any trade offer. Now that doesn’t mean I’m not hanging up in 5 seconds when I hear how far off the other GM is. But as someone has said before me now, if you trade away too many of our top vets, we set the rebuild back 3 + years further. I would in all seriousness trade away all of the most likely candidates to be traded this one trade deadline and let even more young guys get into the line up. We need to give these kids more playing time and look towards the next season and by that I mean player development.

Everyone that should be playing outside of Mueller is already playing and that is easily fixed by tossing Lovejoy overboard.

How many guys do you want to trade?
Ray isn’t going to blow it up. Especially with Hall needing to be convinced to resign.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We’re in a weird spot. We aren’t making the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see a point in tanking either. Hughes/Kakko really didn’t impress me very much in world juniors. To be honest, I don’t think Hughes has any chance of playing in the nhl next year.

The easy middle ground is to let Hynes push the team and compete until close to the TDL. If the team is on the bubble (within a point or two of a spot with a game in hand) stay the course and hope they finish strong even if they miss the playoffs.

Assuming they can’t quite get to within a point or two of a playoff spot ship out any pending UFAs who will return fair value and aren’t in the future plans. Then Shero says publicly the team made a push but gave away too many early points and they needed to be better as a group. Hynes continues to push the team saying that they have to start laying the groundwork for next season.

The big wrinkle would be if Shero and Hall and Hall’s agent chat before the TDL and Hall says he wants to test UFA. Then and only then do you consider a full tear down in my mind.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
so what?

Ty Smith isn't playing in the NHL this year, do we not think he will help us long term?

You would prefer to have a NHL ready player at 1st overall.

It doesn’t matter though becayse we aren’t going to be picking 1st overall. Our odds will be worse then the year we won Nico, and we simply aren’t bad enough to boost them up compared to the crap currently behind us.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
How many times do we have to be spurned by big free agents until we realize that trying to build around free agency is extremely foolish.

It’s not building around free agency. It’s building around this year’s draft and the returns from whatever we sell off. With this draft class and the way free agent markets are operating across sport’s the Devil’s have the chance to sign one or two impact players to help out for the next few years. It’s obvious the difference in quality in this year’s class as opposed to last year’s. They have the money and the cap space.

After a disappointing seasonI fully expect them to be active in this year’s market. Also, any return on our top guys would need to be 2019 NHL ready player who would have an impact at least next season. I wouldn’t just sell off these guys for picks.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Everyone that should be playing outside of Mueller is already playing and that is easily fixed by tossing Lovejoy overboard.

How many guys do you want to trade?
Ray isn’t going to blow it up. Especially with Hall needing to be convinced to resign.

Just the ones I posted. The upcoming FAs and Boyle is one I could truly see brining back as I love everything he brings in a 4th liner.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
none of those defensemen are that attractive to me. couple of forwards i wouldn’t mind

Right so I could see the right deal being made for a top team who has a logjam of D that could potentially be a top 4 guy for us next season. It’d be really hard to acquire that through free agency but it may open up cap space to make a serious run at Duchene, Stone, Panarin or Skinner.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Also, Karlsson is extremely attractive to me and not in a physical way.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If you truly believe that than you have no idea what you're talking about. If you're just stirring the pot, you're late.

zacha is a bust no other way around it. maybe playing in a different jersey will do him wonders but he isn't going to turn into anything more then 3rd line material here. while that doesn't scream "bust" to some people to me? being the #6 pick? yes that is a bust.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Might as well trade Hall too. That is a full tear down.

if hall doesn't resign on july 2nd for a long term deal then yes i would trade him instantly. none of this wait and see if we can resign him or if we are in a playoff chase and then move him at the deadline for pennies. if he doesn't resign the first chance he can then just cut ties with him

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Honest question... is there an explanation for how often zacha turns over pucks in our own end? The first thing I learned as a kid when I started playing was to never throw a puck up the middle in your own end... it feels like he tries to make that play often. Really don’t get him, when he’s trying he looks dominant at times.... but it seems like he’s floating out there 90% of the time. No room for players like that

i mentioned this when the play happened and someone responded to me about andy greene doing it all the time? guess that makes it ok then?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Hughes/Kakko aren't generational players like mcdavid/crosby. They are very good players though and played in u20 in their draft season. Hughes was the best forward on U.S team imo in terms of making things happen offensively, he just wasnt given much ice time. I think he played 4th line every game since his return from injury, and wasn't given an opportunity on the pp much, but when he was there he made things happen.

As for Kakko, he doesn't look like a player who drives his own line so yea he didn't look as dominant, but he also had mr. 0 goals on his line and not much other support.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
zacha is a bust no other way around it. maybe playing in a different jersey will do him wonders but he isn't going to turn into anything more then 3rd line material here. while that doesn't scream "bust" to some people to me? being the #6 pick? yes that is a bust.

I mean it's not but that's cool. I forgot he's already like 21, so old.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
takes are off the charts today wow
i know can you believe people are actually thinking zacha isn't a bust? mind totally blown. hot takes indeed!

seriously though everyone gets so excited over a good game here and there a solid shift here and there.

to quote one of the best baseball movies of all time (sarcastic) "kid don't you see theres a problem when you get this excited over a seeing eye single"?

My3Sons

Sponsor
if hall doesn't resign on july 2nd for a long term deal then yes i would trade him instantly. none of this wait and see if we can resign him or if we are in a playoff chase and then move him at the deadline for pennies. if he doesn't resign the first chance he can then just cut ties with him

He may be open to extending but it may take more than a couple of days to work out details like bonus structure and lockout language. I’m not sure if the rules allow for pre-July discussions of specific terms but if they do I agree that if hope they have those discussions before July and can present a done deal on July 1. I agree with you that the team shouldn’t really let his status drag on if it is clear he wants to “wait and see”.

Camille the Eel

Without talking specific players, the biggest issue - broad brush issue, generality - with the roster is we need to be more physical. It's great thinking a fast, attacking game, but everyone's doing it and the clubs that are able to do it while putting a body on you are the ones that are going to succeed. Hockey continues to be a physical game. Boston plays fast but hits. Pittsburgh, ditto. Washington played slow last year and hit and won the cup, out hit Tampa in the eastern final on their way.

We are just so unphysical. We are allergic to contact. (That's why I want to keep Wood and Zacha, at least they have the tools for that kind of game. Free associating more, we are too small on the back end with Butcher nor is Smith heavy either).

So whatever we do, get a group together that can take the body on other teams consistently.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
He may be open to extending but it may take more than a couple of days to work out details like bonus structure and lockout language. I’m not sure if the rules allow for pre-July discussions of specific terms but if they do I agree that if hope they have those discussions before July and can present a done deal on July 1. I agree with you that the team shouldn’t really let his status drag on if it is clear he wants to “wait and see”.
agreed. point being he can't enter the season with this hanging over everyone and the longer it would drag on the less the devils would get in return like the sens and karlsson. I do also think that the return (like with EK) won't be as massive as people really think it would be.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
agreed. point being he can't enter the season with this hanging over everyone and the longer it would drag on the less the devils would get in return like the sens and karlsson. I do also think that the return (like with EK) won't be as massive as people really think it would be.

If Hall has to go the asset return is one thing but I’m more concerned with the message it sends to the young players about their long term prospects with the team. Hopefully they wouldn’t get too dejected or think the team has no chance without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad