Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So, since he's filing a lawsuit against the Devils, who exactly is he filing it against? These are occurrences that happened 20+ years ago, that was the last time he was on the team.

Is this lawsuit against Lou? I would think it's not against the Devils as in current ownership, who had nothing to do with this and weren't even here?

I'm not quite an expert when it comes laws or courts, as you can see, but I was just thrown off when I've seen that he's suing the ''Devils''.
The Devils are a corporation. They're the same entity as 20 years ago.

Usually they carpet bomb the defendants. I wouldn't be surprised if he sued Lou, the Devils, AND the NHL.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Being from near Toronto I've watched Jake Gardiner a lot and let me tell you he makes Damon Severson's defensive positioning look elite. He constantly skates around with one hand on his stick in both the offensive and defensive zone skating laps with no real idea what he is doing other than wanting to play forward. He is much better on the powerplay than Severson and that's about it. If we have the two of them on this team next year my TV will not make it through the first game of the season because it will have the remote control stuck in it.

No to Gardiner. He won't improve the "defense" of the defense one bit.
Yeah, if people are complaining about Severson, believe me, you don't want Gardiner.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I wouldn't get too excited about someone being on pace for 64 points. Let's see if he actually gets there first. Bratt looked amazing last year until the second half of the season hit.
So much fail. What’s the matter with some people? I would stick to Wrasslin, hombre.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Usually they carpet bomb the defendants. I wouldn't be surprised if he sued Lou, the Devils, AND the NHL.
Well in that case, Peluso might own the 76ers and Devils by the time this is over!:sarcasm:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

If you look at the complaint in the article, he's suing all possible defendants - the Devils, the doctor, Lou, etc.

It's typical, in a suit like this, for a plaintiff to sue as many defendants as possible. That increases their chances of recovering something from somebody.

Reactions: Nubmer6

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really don’t get how you can look st this team and think 2C is a bigger hole then multiple spots on our defense.
2c is a legit issue.

Some, including myself, are still holding out hope that Zacha can fill that role, but it's being very optimistic to think he can do so successfully next season.

D definitely needs help as well though. And imo it's all about acquiring a legit #1 d-man. I'm more confident that Zacha can fill the #2 C spot next season then I am about anyone in the organization filling the #1 D spot.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If you look at the complaint in the article, he's suing all possible defendants - the Devils, the doctor, Lou, etc.

It's typical, in a suit like this, for a plaintiff to sue as many defendants as possible. That increases their chances of recovering something from somebody.
That's my problem. Didn't read the article.

I always *WANTED* to learn how to read :(

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I don't know, I like what he brings when he's healthy which has obviously been a problem. He was playing well before he got hurt most recently.

He has certainly been better for us this year, but I can't justify rejecting futures for him just to preserve our chances of re-signing him. The idea is that the picks we obtain at the deadline can be used over the summer to acquire a player better and more integral than Johansson.

The priority should be a top-4 LHD, but even if that opportunity doesn't arise, the picks can be used to improve up front.

Let's say we acquire a 2nd+ for Johansson, a 2nd+ for Boyle, and a 3rd for Lovejoy. A cap team treading water with a stale core - say, Minnesota - would certainly find a futures package - say, Davies/Walsh + 2 2nd's - attractive for a guy like Brodin or Zucker.

They've said as much on the trade board.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
2c is a legit issue.

Some, including myself, are still holding out hope that Zacha can fill that role, but it's being very optimistic to think he can do so successfully next season.

D definitely needs help as well though. And imo it's all about acquiring a legit #1 d-man. I'm more confident that Zacha can fill the #2 C spot next season then I am about anyone in the organization filling the #1 D spot.

So, then, you're agreeing with him that the holes on D are bigger than the need for a 2C?

I certainly wouldn't say no to a 2C, but I do think our draft/trade capital should be used on an impact defenseman.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So, then, you're agreeing with him that the holes on D are bigger than the need for a 2C?

I certainly wouldn't say no to a 2C, but I do think our draft/trade capital should be used on an impact defenseman.
Trading draft picks for a D I can see. I'm all for BPA, but I'm not all too sure I'm hoping for another D.

The way I see it, I feel that between Smith, Walsh, Davies, Butcher, and to a lesser extent Severson, Mueller, and Santini combined have over a 50% shot to develop into... well, not a #1D, but a serviceable top pairing D man.

I still hold out hope for Zacha, McLeod, and Seney, but I see Seney more as a wing, and I don't give Zacha and McLeod more than a 50% shot of becoming a good 2C. I mean, Zacha is young and could always turn it around like Courtier, but I'd say the odds are against it.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Trading draft picks for a D I can see. I'm all for BPA, but I'm not all too sure I'm hoping for another D.

The way I see it, I feel that between Smith, Walsh, Davies, Butcher, and to a lesser extent Severson, Mueller, and Santini combined have over a 50% shot to develop into... well, not a #1D, but a serviceable top pairing D man.

I still hold out hope for Zacha, McLeod, and Seney, but I see Seney more as a wing, and I don't give Zacha and McLeod more than a 50% shot of becoming a good 2C. I mean, Zacha is young and could always turn it around like Courtier, but I'd say the odds are against it.

At this point I think the team’s best move for C depth is to acquire a second top6 center and commit to Zacha as the 3c long term. If he develops, great, then the Devils will have tremendous center depth. If he never becomes more than a good 3c, they’re still in good shape as the top6 will be taken care of and Zacha looks to be able to fill that role well.

Reactions: Nubmer6

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
That laughing elevator thing with Lou actually happened? Seems like something too petty for him to partake in such a cartoon villain way

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We also don’t really need to rush to go get a 2C either though. I think we can still get by with what we have until Zajac starts to really fall off.

In that time we could just end up drafting a new center, or Zacha develops, or a good deal presents itself.

Worst comes to worst it can be the last piece we need to contend and we just trade a 1st+

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Aren't you the poster formall known as @Nok Hockey? I can't @ that name anymore, so you must be. I do love the new name, by the way.

Don't wanna put too much Hynes talk in this thread, with the extension going, but what made you jump on the Hynes wagon so suddenly? You were probably the second most anti-Hynes poster on the forum?
Yep thats me!

And well its a bit of a twist... with the new year around Ive decided im trying to be less negative and more accepting of things I disagree with. Im usually very black and white with what I do and dont like and dont budge for many.

Its like if your kid enjoys doing something that you cant stand or understand why he likes it and it bothers you... but you see them enjoying it so much that you begin to think ‘maybe I should just enjoy it too since they are’.

The entire team seems to love Hynes, the entire NHL seems to like Hynes, and hes a young coach with major favor from the GM whos done great things for us since hes been here. So i figure, you know what, f*** IT DUDE. Ill hop on the Hynes bandwagon and just begin to accept that he will likely be here for quite some time. Plus he seems like a great guy.

Now that doesnt mean i dont still think the systems need some heavy work; ill just take a different approach about it is all

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We also don’t really need to rush to go get a 2C either though. I think we can still get by with what we have until Zajac starts to really fall off.

In that time we could just end up drafting a new center, or Zacha develops, or a good deal presents itself.

Worst comes to worst it can be the last piece we need to contend and we just trade a 1st+
I think a 2C is a bit more crucial than you may be making it seem. A 2C is what usually completes the top-6 and allows for that lineup matching to work. Unless your wingers are so strong that its moot, without a 2C youre still a one line threat and that trickles down into less possession play and ultimately a tougher time in the defensive zone.

I also dont want to overpay for a middling 2C either. No need to force it but I do think its one of the two most important pieces for us (including a top 4 defensively strong dman)

As for Zacha, treat it like Couturier. If he spawns into a 2C, we just have strong center depth is all! Unless its soon enough before we acquire one/someone steps up, I wouldnt wait too long

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I think a 2C is a bit more crucial than you may be making it seem. A 2C is what usually completes the top-6 and allows for that lineup matching to work. Unless your wingers are so strong that its moot, without a 2C youre still a one line threat and that trickles down into less possession play and ultimately a tougher time in the defensive zone.

I also dont want to overpay for a middling 2C either. No need to force it but I do think its one of the two most important pieces for us (including a top 4 defensively strong dman)

As for Zacha, treat it like Couturier. If he spawns into a 2C, we just have strong center depth is all! Unless its soon enough before we acquire one/someone steps up, I wouldnt wait too long

They need a realistic plan to have Zacha be a bottom 6 center until he sort of figures it out or plays out of that role which he has not yet. If Zacha ends up being the Kadri of this team in a couple years if we draft or sign another stud center then that's awesome. Depening on Zacha to all of the sudden develop into a very good 2C isn't a good plan anymore.

Reactions: MichaelJ

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
While looking up info on Akira Schmid, I accidentally discovered Nico turned 20 today. They grow up so fast.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
While looking up info on Akira Schmid, I accidentally discovered Nico turned 20 today. They grow up so fast.
giphy.gif

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Also, interesting to note and this may sound crazy at first but check this out:

Most teams have a 1C but a lot of those teams dont have a true 2C! I really do think a 2C puts it all together (obviously if you dont even have a 1C youre just having a rough go about it)

Teams who have no 1C - Arizona, Columbus, Montreal, Rangers

Teams with a 1C but no true 2C - Anaheim, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton (if RNH is on wing), LA, NJ, Islanders, Winnipeg. And there are a few I left off due to being too close of a call

I hope Shero recognizes this and doesnt let this fester into next season

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think it’s quite simple.

We need to sign our 2C in FA and use Zacha as a wing or have incredible depth with Zacha and Zajac as bottom 6 centers. Then...

Trade up as far as possible with our trade deadline bounty of picks and take the top D in this years draft that is ready to step right into the nhl next year.

Third step is success.

:sarcasm::nod::naughty::D

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Defense is priority number one. With a better d corps and average goaltending we would be in a wild card spot right now IMO.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
we've got Smith coming next year. Thtas one top 4 LHD spot

we need another guy. Brodin, Edmundson, whoever. Get another one.

next year:

XXX-Vatanen
Smith-Severson
Greene-Butcher

then Greene retires and we have Walsh/Davies enter the fold

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
we've got Smith coming next year. Thtas one top 4 LHD spot

we need another guy. Brodin, Edmundson, whoever. Get another one.

next year:

XXX-Vatanen
Smith-Severson
Greene-Butcher

then Greene retires and we have Walsh/Davies enter the fold
Where are one of Santini and Mueller?

Severson, Smith, Butcher, and Vatanen are extremely redundant IMO. We should look into moving one of Severson or Butcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->