Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Here's a fresh page... hmm. what can I complain about.

Ok - saw on the NHL Network banner ....chuk traded to Maple Leafs and had to see if Kovy already overstayed his welcome...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Natural Stat Trick without question counts empty net goals, so it's pretty much useless for this
So using Noesen as my marker.

He has 2 goals on the season. 1 being an en goal vs Edmonton. 5v5 Natural stat trick has him for one goal at 5v5, but 2 goals for even strength.

So I'm pretty sure their 5v5 stats do not include pulled goalie situations.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Friedman said he believes that this is Nylander's last season in Toronto. It would take a lot to get him and I think realistically we don't have the pieces to get him, but I'm making a push if I'm Shero. Terrific player and I have little doubt that he is a 70+ point player with increased minutes.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
@OmNomNom from what you said before - Id keep Bratt. He has a special look about him with the puck on his stick. Marner-esque ability to move around and be shifty. I know we need shooters but hes young and I think he can be damn good.

Edit: also he has a sneaky shot thats pretty hard

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
@OmNomNom from what you said before - Id keep Bratt. He has a special look about him with the puck on his stick. Marner-esque ability to move around and be shifty. I know we need shooters but hes young and I think he can be damn good.

Edit: also he has a sneaky shot thats pretty hard
100% agree. if it's possible to keep him long term, i'd like to. i mean, even if there was a trade for a well established winger or top pairing D-man for him, it'd take a lot for me to let him go. he's a rare one

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
the problem is I think we need to be using whatever assets we have to upgrade on defense
We have needs at literally every position. No 2nd line center, 2nd line LW to likely leave the team after this season, hole's on defense, below average goaltending.

I don't think we have the pieces to get it done, but I'd still explore the trade. Nylander is young and would instantly be our 2nd or 3rd (if Nico makes significant strides) best forward.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If they want to salvage this season they need 14 pts out of tbe next 10 games. Tough task given the schedule but its time for this team to MAN UP.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Also to what Hynes said - how the f*** doesn't he call out the 2nd line as well? Does Johansson have his nudes or something?

The 2nd line needs far more help than the bottom 6. As of NOW, Zacha is a 3C and Johansson a 3LW. Id rather Coleman on 2LW and Wood 4LW.

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Seney

thats how id run it for now given how guys have played

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HockeysFinest

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It felt like that was really meant for someone like Wood
is there a chance other GMs like Wood as much as Shero did when he last talked about him?

I love Woods style but he isnt immune to trades. Only Hischier IMO is immune realistically.

Id move Wood+ for a top 6 LW

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
is there a chance other GMs like Wood as much as Shero did when he last talked about him?

I love Woods style but he isnt immune to trades. Only Hischier IMO is immune realistically.

Id move Wood+ for a top 6 LW
I'd like to see more trades explored where players are traded whose perceived value to teams is higher than their actual on ice value or projected future value on the team.

Wood would be an interesting one. Scored 19 goals last season in limited TOI. That would be an indicator that he could score at a higher amount in a role with more minutes, but I don't think he has the skill to do that so trading him would be interesting.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
How many teams in the league actually have 6 legit top 6 players? 4-8 depending on your definition of "top 6". A legit top 4 dman preferably left handed is much more important.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How many teams in the league actually have 6 legit top 6 players? 4-8 depending on your definition of "top 6". A legit top 4 dman preferably left handed is much more important.
I bring this up all the time.

And right now we have 4 at the very least plus guys like Zajac and Coleman who are great 3rd liners with plenty of Young guys on the way

Top pairing LHD is much more important than another forward IMO

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wood would be an interesting one. Scored 19 goals last season in limited TOI. That would be an indicator that he could score at a higher amount in a role with more minutes, but I don't think he has the skill to do that so trading him would be interesting.
He does have the skill set, he just doesn’t have the brain.

AD70F76D-4518-4ADB-B781-E3C45FB3E140.png

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

And right now we have 4 at the very least plus guys like Zajac and Coleman who are great 3rd liners with plenty of Young guys on the way

Adding a big time D along with Smith coming along would do absolute wonders for this team.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Adding a big time D along with Smith coming along would do absolute wonders for this team.
and where would the extra dmen go? Are we not re-signing Vatanen? Trading Santini or Severson?

What handidness will the dman be?

Genuinely curious, out of these guys which would you take out and what would you do with them?

Mueller-Vatanen
Smith-Severson
Greene-Butcher
Santini

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The opposite side to this is you don't need to figure out and make tough choices with an addition. A top 6 player would have an immediate spot with only needing to send a kid down. We wouldn't lose any roster players (if none were included this is assuming).

Even players involved going the other way in a trade are moot because you'll have to trade one or more of the defenseman cause they can't be sent down. On forward we have four guys who would clear waivers, five if Coleman counts. On defense we have zero unless Butcher counts but his status is beyond my knowledge of how it works.

As for where the roster NEEDS additions, i personally think its forward more but even if it was defense first - it causes roster conflicts whereas adding a forward would not.

edit: come to think of it Mueller may be able to be sent down as well, unless last time it was just for a conditioning stint.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

To help your case I just went through every team's depth chart. There's 4 teams with a bonafide top 6. Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Toronto. 3 teams with a strong case, San Jose, Philly, and Minnesota. There's nearly 20 teams (including almost all of last years playoff teams) with 3+ top 4 level dmen.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I couldn't give a **** about someone like Santini if we were able to get a top pairing LHD
how are we getting a top pair LHD without trading one of our roster forwards?

I doubt a team trades a better dman for a worse dman and a plus. Unless its like the Kings unloading a guy maybe

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Interesting, I see the Eastern Conference is still sucking as a whole. Devils are only 3pts out if they win their games in hand. Season can still be saved. Needs to start now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->