Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I mean its as simple as Zacha produces or Zajac becomes our 2C again

Nobody seriously thinks an offense with Zajac as 2C in scoring is at all competant enough to win a playoff series

And there isn’t a single player in the organization who is set to get anywhere near the 2C role minus Zacha.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean its as simple as Zacha produces or Zajac becomes our 2C again

Nobody seriously thinks an offense with Zajac as 2C in scoring is at all competant enough to win a playoff series

And there isn’t a single player in the organization who is set to get anywhere near the 2C role minus Zacha.

What, in your mind, is the difference between 2C and 3C on the Devils as they are right now?

Reactions: snwbdgislife

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Im confused as to what you mean

I mean, it was a pretty simple question - what's the difference between the 2C and 3C on the Devils in 2018? - but I guess I'll just answer it myself. There isn't a difference. They get around equal ice time, sometimes the Devils will use Zajac as a matchup guy, sometimes they won't. I don't think Johansson should go with Zajac, as I don't think their games mesh well together. So there is no difference. Obsessing over whether Zacha or Zajac should be the #2C doesn't make any sense.

The 2nd line isn't producing right now but they've gotten chances in the last 2 games.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Even in the brightest scenario, Zacha likely doesn’t produce like a top 6 player which means even if the entire top 6 is scoring minus Zacha, we need a replacement.

We have not one player in our system id ever want nor expect to play 2C anytime soon, so it will likely come via acquisition

Beside 1 or 2 seasons Zajac didnt produce like a top 6 center either but he was fine for what he was. Not only that but Zajac was the ONLY option as our top center. Now Nico is 1C. Zacha will come around i believe, he also brings other aspects of the game to that line so he isnt totally useless. He is very good defensively and strong on the boards, 2 things you need in a center. If Bratt and MoJo have the chemistry we believe Zacha will get points by mistake. If it doesnt work out in the long run then we see what Shero and company have in mind.

I say it every season, power forwards take longer to develop. Everything is Zachas game shows he is developing like a power forward.

Its also not super easy to trade for a top 6 center.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I mean, it was a pretty simple question - what's the difference between the 2C and 3C on the Devils in 2018? - but I guess I'll just answer it myself. There isn't a difference. They get around equal ice time, sometimes the Devils will use Zajac as a matchup guy, sometimes they won't. I don't think Johansson should go with Zajac, as I don't think their games mesh well together. So there is no difference. Obsessing over whether Zacha or Zajac should be the #2C doesn't make any sense.

The 2nd line isn't producing right now but they've gotten chances in the last 2 games.
But that doesn’t change the fact that neither Zajac nor Zacha are even viable 2Cs

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm curious how NJ's high-danger chances rate will be on the road. There could certainly be some scorer location bias in Newark.

That whole stat is subjective as hell. I'd like to see some paperwork on the methodology they use, because given the chances deemed HD are much rarer than others, even being off just a bit in the determination (or not) could result in significant swings.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Beside 1 or 2 seasons Zajac didnt produce like a top 6 center either but he was fine for what he was. Not only that but Zajac was the ONLY option as our top center. Now Nico is 1C. Zacha will come around i believe, he also brings other aspects of the game to that line so he isnt totally useless. He is very good defensively and strong on the boards, 2 things you need in a center. If Bratt and MoJo have the chemistry we believe Zacha will get points by mistake. If it doesnt work out in the long run then we see what Shero and company have in mind.

I say it every season, power forwards take longer to develop. Everything is Zachas game shows he is developing like a power forward.

Its also not super easy to trade for a top 6 center.
It is hard to trade for a top 6 center - but would we rather management wait a year and then if Zacha still hasn’t produced, we then start the search late?

I doubt if many of yall were asked to bet a good chunk of money Zacha becoming a 2C, youd do it. And we have nobody in the system who projects to that position

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Unless Keith shuts Tampa out, just start Cory Thursday. Keith is due a night off anyway. Would have started 9 in a row by then.
Even if cory was still injured, kk wouldn't need a day off yet. The schedule has been really light with many off days for rest.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How is it knee-jerk if Some have wanted another top 6 acquisition for over a season now?

I dont for a second believe this idea that management is waiting on Zacha to perform. He is a secondary piece at this point.

That line was meant more as a general statement about the board as a whole, not necessarily directed at you.

That said, it’s a lot easier to talk about acquiring top-6 help than it is to actually do it. If there’s a viable deal out there, I’m sure Shero pulls the trigger. Until then, there’s no issue with giving a 21-year-old center every opportunity to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad