Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Or players who aren't playing well now could play better. Or we could stop taking a bunch of dumb penalties. Or making dumb mental errors. It seems weird how pretty much the exact same roster as last year is somehow written off after a bad 7 games.
I wouldn't say I am writing any of them off...but something has to be done if you don't want the season to slip away.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This is why I kept complaining about all the 2nd and 3rd round picks we wasted over the last year.

Just the picks in the Johansson, Maroon and Grabner deals are practically an entire draft year worth of prospects.

Maroon 2019 3rd
Grabner 2018 2nd
Johansson 2018 2nd and 2018 3rd
We gave a 2018 3rd in the Vatanen deal

That's 5 top 100 picks.

You don't do that if you're a rebuilding team, especially on the rentals... I could understand on Vatanen and Johansson cause you think that they could become part of a long term plan...but thats still a lot of picks without a lot to show for it

No you ****ing did not :laugh:

On Johansson...

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 2.50.50 PM.png

On Maroon...

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 2.53.56 PM.png

You want to gripe about the trade in hindsight? Lame, but be my guest. But don't you dare jump on a high horse and tell the rest of us that "you've been saying all along..."

Check mate.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No you ****ing did not :laugh:

On Johansson...

View attachment 151965

On Maroon...

View attachment 151967

You want to gripe about the trade in hindsight? Be my guest. But don't you dare jump on a high horse and tell the rest of us that "you've been saying all along..."

Check mate.
Looking at 3rd in 2019 and Dudek in a vacuum vs looking at the year in review is a very different conversation. When you look back and realize you gave up a slew of picks it's a hell of a lot different than one individually.

It is like talking about bad spending habits... the $3 coffee every morning looks meaningless until you realize you've spent over $1000 at Starbucks last year

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Looking at 3rd in 2019 and Dudek in a vacuum vs looking at the year in review a is very different conversation. When you look back and realize you gave up a slew of picks it's a hell of different than one individually.

It is like talking about bad spending habits the $3 coffee every morning looks meaningless until you realize you've spent over $1000 at Starbucks last year

No, no, you just said you "kept" complaining... implying you complained throughout. And that simply isn't the case.

I distinctly remembered you loving the Maroon trade and writing that big blurb about it (because I agreed with you)... did some quick digging, and, alas, you do talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Looking at 3rd in 2019 and Dudek in a vacuum vs looking at the year in review a is very different conversation. When you look back and realize you gave up a slew of picks it's a hell of a lot different than one individually.

It is like talking about bad spending habits... the $3 coffee every morning looks meaningless until you realize you've spent over $1000 at Starbucks last year
you can't say the 4 trades listed weren't logical though, especially at the time.

the only reason anyone is complaining right now is because we're in a losing streak

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
you can't say the 4 trades listed weren't logical though, especially at the time.

the only reason anyone is complaining right now is because we're in a losing streak

And because Johansson's been god-awful as a Devil. That's a big factor in the whole meme of wasting five picks, he was supposed to be part of the long-term solution, not just a guy that plays 80-100 ineffective games and then gets booted out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No, no, you just said you "kept" complaining... implying you complained throughout. And that simply isn't the case.

I distinctly remembered you loving the Maroon trade and wrote that big blurb about it (because I agreed with you)... did some quick digging, and, alas, you do talk out of both sides of your mouth.
The 2nd in the Grabner deal was going to be a top 50 pick for an obvious rental... We not only gave up a top 50 pick we gave a LHD prospect which we were lacking to a divisional rival.

But I would also say again you are conflating two different things...the individual trade discussion and burning asset discussion.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is why I kept complaining about all the 2nd and 3rd round picks we wasted over the last year.

Just the picks in the Johansson, Maroon and Grabner deals are practically an entire draft year worth of prospects.

Maroon 2019 3rd
Grabner 2018 2nd
Johansson 2018 2nd and 2018 3rd
We gave a 2018 3rd in the Vatanen deal

That's 5 top 100 picks.

They got back a 3rd for Henrique re-siging there so really it's 4. The Maroon pick was well worth it to make the playoffs, they don't make it without him. Johansson's been a bust so far, but I have no issue with the idea of the trade. Really we're back to Grabner being the only complain-worthy trade.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I never even mentioned the 2nd for Mueller. From that summer to the trade deadline we gave 3 2nd round picks.

And he's a starting defenseman currently on the top pair. I'd hardly call that a waste. Sometimes players are worth more than lottery tickets.

Other than Grabner and Maroon Shero's not giving picks for 30+ year old rentals, he's trying to trade them for actual long-term solutions.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The 2nd in the Grabner deal was going to be a top 50 pick for an obvious rental... We not only gave up a top 50 pick we gave a LHD prospect which we were lacking to a divisional rival.

But I would also say again you are conflating two different things...the individual trade discussion and burning asset discussion.

It's funny how things shook out, because I think the "obvious" rental at the time was Maroon. On paper, Grabner fit the team like a glove, and I think part of the impetus for pulling trigger was that it gave the organization an inside track to sign him in July.

It ended up being Maroon who fit the team like the glove, so he was the guy Shero tried to re-sign. In hindsight, sure, Grabner was a waste, but it made a lot of sense at the time. You could argue the package we surrendered, but the logic there was crystal-clear.

Re: my "conflation"... I think people can draw their own conclusions.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And he's a starting defenseman currently on the top pair. I'd hardly call that a waste. Sometimes players are worth more than lottery tickets.
The Mueller trade is looking great right now based on his performance this season. The chances of getting a quality NHLer from a 2nd round pick isn't great, and we have one playing an important role right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Other than Grabner and Maroon Shero's not giving picks for 30+ year old rentals, he's trying to trade them for actual long-term solutions.
A 2nd for starting Dman could never be a waste but again when you look at the totality and the mass of the picks we gave up it is significant.

In the retrospective, I don't think we got as much as we gave.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Mueller trade is looking great right now based on his performance this season. The chances of getting a quality NHLer from a 2nd round pick isn't great, and we have one playing an important role right now.
The 2nd round produces a lot of very good Dmen.

You realize the majority of our defense were not 1st picks right? In fact Mueller is the only one.

Greene Ufa NCAA
Butcher UFA NCAA 5th round pick before he went ufa
Ben Lovejoy UFA NCAA not us though.
Severson 2nd
Santini 2nd
Vatanen 4th

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The 2nd round produces a lot of very good Dmen.

You realize the majority of our defense were not 1st picks right? In fact Mueller is the only one.

Greene Ufa NCAA
Butcher UFA NCAA
Ben Lovejoy UFA NCAA not us though.
Severson 2nd
Santini 2nd
Vatanen 4th
https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Depending on where you end up drafting in the 2nd round, the chances of getting a top 6 forwards or top 4 defenseman range from 10.8% to 6.7%.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Reactions: Billdo

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
A 2nd for starting Dman could never be a waste but again when you look at the totality and the mass of the picks we gave up it is significant.

In the retrospective, I don't think we got as much as we gave.
but using your coffee idea, just because i blew $100 on coffee in a month doesn't mean i didn't enjoy all 33 cups of my $3.33 coffee. it's a lot overall, but that doesn't make my past enjoyment nullified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad