Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nico is definitely not at Barkov's level. Barkov is a what top 7-8 center in the entire league? Nico isn't there. Nico has been very good and I'm a believer in him based on his very encouraging even strength play, but to suggest Nico is at Barkov's level is inaccurate.

I don't think he is there either, but the stats suggest its close. It certainly is closer than you're making it out to be

Since the start of last season, Nico is at 2.46 ES pts/60 (26th in the NHL among forwards)
Barkov is at 2.19 (51st among forwards)

obviously way more goes into it than that, but still a good snapshot.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Some fun Nico stats. He hasn't been penalized and has drawn 7 penalites this season. Sharing the league lead with Barkov. Nico and Barkov are highly comparable in 5v5 statistics since the beginning of last year. Seems as though Nico is already at his level.

more fun…..he will out score eichel this season

im hanging my hat on this prediction.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
What’s funny is that I don’t think he’s playing his best hockey right now. Think there’s even more to unlock thus far.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, thats a bit presumptious. And I think having Hall is pumping up some of his stats. But the comparison at 5v5 for both players since Nico entered the league is almost identical for all stats. Nico already has 2x as many PP goals as he had all last year and 20% as many PP assists. If he scores 70-80 pts with that kind of +/- in Penalties For/Taken on top of elite defensive play. Then he's at his level. I don't really see that out of the realm of possibility.
Even if he puts up those numbers that you mention, he is likely going to have Hall on his line. Barkov drives that line and team for that matter. He provides Selke level defensive play on top of being a PPG player. I would be very very surprised if Nico were able to obtain that this season. Later in his career in not out of the question though.

Reactions: My3Sons

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
He has 10 points in 10 games so far.

He's been fine there, just needs to work out some kinks and get better adjusted to the pro game. He loves to have the puck and has terrific instincts, but he needs to get more precise and limit the turnovers. Hopefully he can do that and become more of an offensive guy at the next level, but even without that, he's such a pest that I think he'll be effective in a bottom six role.
Seney’s terrific instincts make him an intriguing prospect. I agree he has some kinks to work out but they all do....Zacha for sure and even Nico can do more to adjust to the pro game.

Seney’s closer than you think and he will surprise if given the opportunity IMO. He consistently creates quality scoring chances and that’s what NJ needs at 2C. You’ll like him better than Zacha and so will his wingers when he’s feeding them the puck

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Thank you.

People only remember when Damon Severson (or some defenseman that's good) makes a bad pinch, which is why guys that stay trapped in the D-zone like Brooks Orpik and *cough* Steve Santini last year *cough* and Ron Hainsey are looked at as actually being really good. Because they ''Play defense''. They play defense because they don't know how to play outside of the D-zone.
I think I may have mentioned it once before. Severson is the only player we have who has the eye for those aggressive pinches - his offensive prowess is almost elite. Hes only 23 and has done a lot of learning in his own end so I see it as this year and next he really breaks out as a consistent top 4 player (he obviously has top 4 talent).

Now speaking of players who do things well, is it just me or is it uncanny how well Butcher keeps the puck in the zone on PP's?!

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So as an actual offer (some have repeatedly asked for examples) I think at max it'd take a 1st+Mcleod and Id be willing to do that since signing Duchene shouldn't be a problem.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
So as an actual offer (some have repeatedly asked for examples) I think at max it'd take a 1st+Mcleod and Id be willing to do that since signing Duchene shouldn't be a problem.
The Devils would make that deal conditional on Duchene signing. Ray has pulled a few rabbits out of his hat (Hall, Palms, Vats) and he’d have to do the same. Ottawa would likely expect waaaay more in return. At least what they gave up to pry him away from Colorado. The price would be too high. Look what they got for Karlsson....a player they had no chance/interest in resigning. Too early in the rebuild for the Devils to be all in.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The Devils would make that deal. Ray has pulled a few rabbits out of his hat (Hall, Palms, Vats). Ottawa would likely expect waaaay more in return. At least what they gave up to pry him away from Colorado. The price would be too high. Too early in the rebuild for the Devils to be all in.
How can they ask for more than a 1st round and a former 1st round, maybe some small adds, when Duchene obviously won’t sign long term? Sure if other teams outbid but I doubt they can ask for much more

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Duchene has been through the ringer ( much to his own fault ) there is zero chance he doesn't test UFA.
An important position on a soon to be long term contender and the chance to make great pay (which is how you pitch it), I dont see why he tests the market

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
With the first line playing like this, the third and fourth lines contributing, Kinkaid playing well and the defense playing really well... Got to think a trade is in the works to take that next step - because Bratt isnt enough and its clear a spark is needed somehow.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With the first line playing like this, the third and fourth lines contributing, Kinkaid playing well and the defense playing really well... Got to think a trade is in the works to take that next step - because Bratt isnt enough and its clear a spark is needed somehow.
I don't know. We don't see many significant trades like that made during season, unless it's around the deadline. We used to see them a lot, but not anymore.

Henrique for Vatanen was probably the second biggest/second most significant trade made last year before deadline time, with the Duchene/Turris trade being the biggest.

And Duchene was supposed to be shipped out of town for over a year before that, so it wasn't really out of nowhere like Henrique for Vatanen, outside of the fact that Turris wound up going in it and it involved 3 teams.

Reactions: HBK27

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know. We don't see many significant trades like that made during season, unless it's around the deadline. We used to see them a lot, but not anymore.

Henrique for Vatanen was probably the second biggest/second most significant trade made last year before deadline time, with the Duchene/Turris trade being the biggest.

And Duchene was supposed to be shipped out of town for over a year before that, so it wasn't really out of nowhere like Henrique for Vatanen, outside of the fact that Turris wound up going in it and it involved 3 teams.
We don't but how often are teams in prime positions to give up talents to take on cap but have enough youth coming and on the roster? The entire forward and defense rosters are 28 or under except for Zajac Boyle Greene and Lovejoy. Only players expected possibly above 7m in the next 2-3 years are Hall and Hischier. We dont have anyone in the system minus Smith who is a high end prospect. While yes more prospects will come, it is obvious to me at least that an acquisition or two will be necessary over the next two years, depending how prospects develop.

The roster is young enough to move some picks and prospects now and over the next year or two, but will still have other picks and prospects to maintain the long term future. The close term future is not necessary to have stockpiled picks and prospects. We drafted a pretty high amount over the last four drafts.

Obviously a deal needs to be out there and it needs to make sense - I just happen to think Shero will be very active and likely on the forward side first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Being a “former” 1st rounder means nothing for McLeod in this trade. The only way he holds this much value is if a teams GM sees untapped potential or that he is about to make a break through. Our 1st is the intriguing piece here... as the Senators would rightfully see us as a bubble team and potentially get them a top 15 (if not better pick). Most likely our 1st would trump any other team that would be in on this trades 1st but it will be a matter of what nhl ready prospects are offered up by the other teams.

Our side of the trade... are through our rebuild where we can afford to give up 1st round picks and prospects that aren’t done maturing for a player that will surely test FA? You have to look at this trade that way. Are we one injury away on defense to having Eric Gryba playing?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not only are we already playing Gryba, but he was just a Ben Lovejoy injury away from drawing into the lineup. We desperately need to address that issue.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not only are we already playing Gryba, but he was just a Ben Lovejoy injury away from drawing into the lineup. We desperately need to address that issue.

Santini also had to get injured and Yakovlev is another viable option from Binghamton as a short-term, injury fill-in.

If anything, Shero picks up a vet as additonal depth at the trade deadline, but this is something that does not need to be addressed now, especially as it would require NJ to carry 8 d-men going forward.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
He has 10 points in 10 games so far.

He's been fine there, just needs to work out some kinks and get better adjusted to the pro game. He loves to have the puck and has terrific instincts, but he needs to get more precise and limit the turnovers. Hopefully he can do that and become more of an offensive guy at the next level, but even without that, he's such a pest that I think he'll be effective in a bottom six role.
TBH I didn't know that until after I posted that haha.

Either way, do we really expect him to produce behind Nico already? I'd prefer to leave him there until maybe mid-way through the season.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Duchene, 3 goals in 2 games. I admit if he becomes available it won’t happen prior to the trade deadline to maximize his value. I’m sure Shero will be in on it when the time comes.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I mean I understand the worry about our second line and the worry of the 3rd and 4th lines drying up at some point. But this team is 5-2-1 currently, they are doing that in spite of the MoJo, Zacha, and Wood not doing much. That will change at some point at least with Wood and MoJo, we are 8 games into the season and dont have one of our top playmakers/scorers from last year in Bratt. Until we see how these line preform how they were supposed to be built I dont want to be making a trade to make one, because thats what you would be doing.

Im sure that if there continues to be an issue Shero will make a move IF there is a move to be made. It takes 2 GMs to make a deal which some forget sometimes on the board i feel like. Shero isnt just going to call up a team and get the guy he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad