Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The entire defense has played fine this season.

I have absolutely no complaints through 8 games regarding anyone.

Would like the team D to be stronger in the late game situations, but yeah overall the D itself has been fine.

Honestly I really don’t have many major complaints about the team as a whole so far. Obviously a few guys I want to see more from, but we are overall playing well

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The main goal for Greene was to get him away from the other teams top lines.

Severson and Greene arent normally playing against a teams top line, thats been Vatman and Mueller. Because of that Greene has been playing better in my eyes. He also does a lot on the PK and we have been on that a lot this season so far. That has to be taken into consideration.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Whaaaaat?

Why do you think he’d be such a great fit for us yet wouldn’t cost much to acquire or sign?
Because hes a UFA on a team who has gotten far below value on multiple talents and Ottawa isnt a contender so theyd take entirely futures which works well for us.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
yes we know you love Seney

thanks Brett
Thanks Brett??

It’ll take more than “pretty decent assets” to acquire an established 2C like a Duchene or Kadri. Why unload our best prospects/future draft picks at this point in the rebuild.

I’m a Devils fan first and a Seney fan for sure. My observations are that he’s a diamond in the rough. When given the chance he’ll surprise big time. A year ago did anyone project Seney to be Bingo’s 1C and leading the team in points?

In Manhattan, Seney played 2C with MoJo and Bratt. After the game the media/fans raved about Bratt and MoJo’s play. Seney was all over the puck all game, created lots of scoring chances including setting up MoJo in overtime for a great chance to win it

Last edited:

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The main goal for Greene was to get him away from the other teams top lines.

Severson and Greene arent normally playing against a teams top line, thats been Vatman and Mueller. Because of that Greene has been playing better in my eyes. He also does a lot on the PK and we have been on that a lot this season so far. That has to be taken into consideration.

Lol to me he still looks like shit. At least last year he was looking bad at the midway point, not 5-6 games into the season. He's the weak link on the left side. The team will be better when he retires and Smith is in his position.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't see why we wouldn't at least try Seney at 2C for a few games before pulling the trigger on a hired gun. He's looked pretty good so far.

I never said otherwise

my point is that that specific poster literally ONLY posts about Brett Seney, which is why I implied that that was him

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
BTW, with all the Greene stats getting thrown around, I'm curious if his defensive zone starts has gone down compared to last year and I'm way too lazy to google around to find the answer. If I remember correctly, last year he had an absurd % of D zone starts.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only legit complaint about the D this year would be Gryba, and that is a nitpick as he is the fill in’s fill in. He is only playing because both Lovejoy and Santini are hurt.

The forward complaints at least have some merit, though they are laser focused on the one whipping boy and mostly ignore that other guys like Mojo and Wood need to contribute more as well.

On the positive side. I love that Coleman is right back to where he was last year. I really wasn’t sure if he could replicate his play from his rookie season.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The only legit complaint about the D this year would be Gryba, and that is a nitpick as he is the fill in’s fill in. He is only playing because both Lovejoy and Santini are hurt.

The forward complaints at least have some merit, though they are laser focused on the one whipping boy and mostly ignore that other guys like Mojo and Wood need to contribute more as well.

On the positive side. I love that Coleman is right back to where he was last year. I really wasn’t sure if he could replicate his play from his rookie season.
Personally, I think he's playing perfectly fine for an 8th defenseman. I'm surprised so many are complaining about him.

As for focusing our ire on Zacha, I think it's intensified because he has 0 points whereas the others you mentioned have had a few. Wood's also had some pretty good games in which he didn't register a point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Personally, I think he's playing perfectly fine for an 8th defenseman. I'm surprised so many are complaining about him.

As for focusing our ire on Zacha, I think it's intensified because he has 0 points whereas the others you mentioned have had a few. Wood's also had some pretty good games in which he didn't register a point.

Zacha has played good games without a point as well. Both have goose eggs that need to be rectified.

Reactions: Owenay

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Because he didn’t look NHL ready during camp. The kid is still raw. He is exactly where he needs to be.

I also suspect if he sticks in the NHL, it will be at wing.
I respectly disagree. He showed well in preseason especially his last 2 exhibition games. In Manhattan he showed he was NHL ready at Center. In Winnipeg he showed he was NHL ready on Wing. In Bingo he’s shown to be the most “ripe” forward prospect we have.

My point is before trading away a boat load of our best prospects/future draft picks to acquire a “legitimate 2C” give Seney a shot.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can live with a few bad pinches because being aggressive offensively has lead to far more good than bad. You just don't hear about the other 20 times it keeps possession alive in the offensive zone.
Thank you.

People only remember when Damon Severson (or some defenseman that's good) makes a bad pinch, which is why guys that stay trapped in the D-zone like Brooks Orpik and *cough* Steve Santini last year *cough* and Ron Hainsey are looked at as actually being really good. Because they ''Play defense''. They play defense because they don't know how to play outside of the D-zone.

Reactions: HenriquesJawLine

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I respectly disagree. He showed well in preseason especially his last 2 exhibition games. In Manhattan he showed he was NHL ready at Center. In Winnipeg he showed he was NHL ready on Wing. In Bingo he’s shown to be the most “ripe” forward prospect we have.

My point is before trading away a boat load of our best prospects/future draft picks to acquire a “legitimate 2C” give Seney a shot.

Isn’t that what u do with a boat load of prospects. You use your assets to fix what seems to be the team biggest hole. And that’s secondary scoring or a scoring center. Not all your prospects are going to make it or those that do play for the team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't see why we wouldn't at least try Seney at 2C for a few games before pulling the trigger on a hired gun. He's looked pretty good so far.

Seney has looked good but he's still really raw.

There's a lot to like there with his tenacity and his vision offensively especially setting up his line mates, but he still makes a ton of mistakes. Turns the puck over a lot carrying it up the ice and he needs to get more accurate with his passing although his instincts are terrific.

He needs a full year in the AHL, in my opinion. Needs to hone in his game and make it more consistently effective. I'd be afraid in the NHL he will be a lot like Wood was in the first year where there's a lot to like but his issues will be glaring.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Because he didn’t look NHL ready during camp. The kid is still raw. He is exactly where he needs to be.

I also suspect if he sticks in the NHL, it will be at wing.
I feel like Bing has been having trouble scoring goals lately too? If Seney can't produce down currently, then it's way too much to ask of him to produce in the show. Plus, Seney is a top sixer down there, which means he's probably getting PP time. No way he gets PP time with NJ.

I'm not saying he won't, I like the kid. To me it looks like he might have the skills, but he needs to figure it out down there.

Reactions: NJDevs26

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Some fun Nico stats. He hasn't been penalized and has drawn 7 penalites this season. Sharing the league lead with Barkov. Nico and Barkov are highly comparable in 5v5 statistics since the beginning of last year. Seems as though Nico is already at his level.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like Bing has been having trouble scoring goals lately too? If Seney can't produce down currently, then it's way too much to ask of him to produce in the show. Plus, Seney is a top sixer down there, which means he's probably getting PP time. No way he gets PP time with NJ.

I'm not saying he won't, I like the kid. To me it looks like he might have the skills, but he needs to figure it out down there.

He has 10 points in 10 games so far.

He's been fine there, just needs to work out some kinks and get better adjusted to the pro game. He loves to have the puck and has terrific instincts, but he needs to get more precise and limit the turnovers. Hopefully he can do that and become more of an offensive guy at the next level, but even without that, he's such a pest that I think he'll be effective in a bottom six role.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Some fun Nico stats. He hasn't been penalized and has drawn 7 penalites this season. Sharing the league lead with Barkov. Nico and Barkov are highly comparable in 5v5 statistics since the beginning of last year. Seems as though Nico is already at his level.
Nico is definitely not at Barkov's level. Barkov is a what top 7-8 center in the entire league? Nico isn't there. Nico has been very good and I'm a believer in him based on his very encouraging even strength play, but to suggest Nico is at Barkov's level is inaccurate.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Nico is definitely not at Barkov's level. Barkov is a what top 7-8 center in the entire league? Nico isn't there. Nico has been very good and I'm a believer in
him based on his very encouraging even strength play, but to suggest Nico is at Barkov's level is inaccurate.

Yeah, thats a bit presumptious. And I think having Hall is pumping up some of his stats. But the comparison at 5v5 for both players since Nico entered the league is almost identical for all stats. Nico already has 2x as many PP goals as he had all last year and 20% as many PP assists. If he scores 70-80 pts with that kind of +/- in Penalties For/Taken on top of elite defensive play. Then he's at his level. I don't really see that out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Owenay and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad