Devils 2018-19 Team Discussion (news and notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bingo is far from a “bad team”. The talent is deep and they played well enough to win. Unfortunately for Bingo goaltending was the difference last night. Hart stole the game and MBW wasn’t his best
Binghamton is 5th worst in the league in Goals Against (27th) and 21st in the league in Goals For...that ratio is the definition of a bad team.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m pretty sure some have discussed it on here...

Any fathers that can give me advice on when they brought a child to their 1st game? I’m really jonesing to take my son but I’m not sure when is too early

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Any fathers that can give me advice on when they brought a child to their 1st game? I’m really jonesing to take my son but I’m not sure when is too early
I don't have children but I would think as soon as a kid can sit for an hour and keep their attention on one thing they would be ready for a game?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
took my niece to her first game at 5 years old and her younger sister is coming in a few weeks for the first time at 4 and a half

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Binghamton is 5th worst in the league in Goals Against (27th) and 21st in the league in Goals For...that ratio is the definition of a bad team.
Don’t understand your point? You say MBW is turning the corner and then add the team in front of him is “bad”. After the first 10 games they’re 4-5-1. Bad is 0-10. Bingo is stacked with talent

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Don’t understand your point? You say MBW is turning the corner and then add the team in front of him is “bad”. After the first 10 games they’re 4-5-1. Bad is 0-10
Is that what you took out of my post?

I even summarized the post at the end cause I knew people were going to go off the rails and create storylines that didn't exist.

I am sorry if I was ambiguous. But the post was about what to do in the Cory/Keith situation...and my point was that you can't really have that discussion until you understand the pipeline situation.

If there is nothing in the pipeline, to get rid of one means something much different than if there is something in the pipeline.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017

I even summarized the post at the end cause I knew people were going to go off the rails and create storylines that didn't exist.

I am sorry if I was ambiguous. But the post was about what to do in the Cory/Keith situation...and my point was that you can't really have that discussion until you understand the pipeline situation.

If there is nothing in the pipeline, to get rid of one means something much different than if there is something in the pipeline.
Oh ok... sorry for over reacting to the “bad team” reference. The pipeline might need some help? Bingo has the pieces to contend for a championship but like all contenders they’ll need a save percentage of .920 or above

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think a new Kinkaid contract would likely cost no more than $3 million per, maybe a bit less. Shero has opted not to give out multi year contracts to 30+ year old players since he's been here, which Kinkaid will be 30 by the start of next season. Lovejoy and Boyle are the only two guys I think that he signed for more than 1 year who were in their 30's.

I do know that whatever happens with Kinkaid, we need better than Schneider/random backup as a tandem next year. As of right now, Kinkaid is probably the best UFA goalie coming up next year. Do we really want Chad Johnson or Thomas Greiss? Hell no. I think it's safe to say Kinkaid is better than these guys. Do we really want a 37 year old Mike Smith or Brian Elliott (I think he's a UFA too) or Jimmy Howard here? I do not. And if Schneider has another .90-something season, we're really gonna need to be smart about what goalies we ice next year.

Assuming he plays as good as he did last year I don't see him staying as a backup for 3 mil per. He's going to be offered a chance to start like Raanta, Talbot, etc were offered during their career.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We've still played the fewest games in the league. Some teams have played 4 more at this point. :laugh:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I dont have any kids either but i took my nephew at 5 years old. He was good the whole game. He really got into it.

For the preseason game this season i took his brother who was 3 and him. I was surprised how well the 3 year old did but at times he would get bored or distracted. So i would say they need to be older then 3.

Sidenote. My cousin watches baseball games with his son and we took him to his first game at 2 and that kid watched the whole game all 9 innings without looking away from the field. He was very into it but also used to watching the game.

So id suggest trying to get your kid to watch some games on TV and get them into it. It will be much easier then at the game because they will understand it more and be used to it.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Sometime around 6 or 7 but be prepared to miss parts of the game getting food then another trip to concessions for popcorn then another trip to track down the cotton candy guy then another trip for whatever souvenir ice cream they have then another trip for a T-shirt and of course three bathroom breaks minimum.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

We took our kids at 6 months - 1 year old. Regardless if it was right decision, here’s what I learned (through experience and feedback from others). Biggest issues were:

1. Noise: goal horn was really tough on them. I’ve heard others have brought headphones to dampen the sound. This was a BIG issue. We had to leave a game early because the Devils were crushing the Hurricanes and our kid couldn’t take the noise.

2. Seating: we brought a portable booster that we strapped into the seat. Worked fine. Without it, though, it would have been hard.

3. Food: we brought our own. No issues getting it in. This is a few years ago though, so may be worth checking what you can bring / how it needs to be packaged.

One other thing: if your kids are that young, you may not need a ticket for them. I feel like we bought tickets for them, but can’t remember. I do remember that we were able to bring our kids to a lot of places for “free” as long as they could reasonably sit on our lap. Of course, no ticket would mean that your kid would need to sit on your lap if there isn’t an empty seat nearby.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

If he's under 5, my advice would be to go with your wife , not just you and him.
Pick one of the 1pm games, bring one of his smaller toys.

He will not want to just sit in his seat for long stretches of time, so, with two parents, you can rotate taking him to the bathroom and even just to walk around the concourse a few times when the game is going on.
Plus it increases your odds of being able to stay for the entire game.

Get a bag of cotton candy as soon as you see it entering the building. But hold off on giving it to him until the game starts, that will keep him busy/occupied for a little while.

It's a must to buy him a souvenir at the game, who cares if it's over-priced, but a little NJ Devil stuffed animal or something along the likes, he will have fun with it and remember that he got it at his first game.

Other than that, just have fun with him regardless of the score of the game, let him soak in the experience and explain to him the nuances of the game and how important it is to be a Devils fan.
I guarantee he will ask you to come back for more games.

Start em young and they will be lifelong fans.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't have children but I would think as soon as a kid can sit for an hour and keep their attention on one thing they would be ready for a game?

took my niece to her first game at 5 years old and her younger sister is coming in a few weeks for the first time at 4 and a half

I dont have any kids either but i took my nephew at 5 years old. He was good the whole game. He really got into it.

For the preseason game this season i took his brother who was 3 and him. I was surprised how well the 3 year old did but at times he would get bored or distracted. So i would say they need to be older then 3.

Sidenote. My cousin watches baseball games with his son and we took him to his first game at 2 and that kid watched the whole game all 9 innings without looking away from the field. He was very into it but also used to watching the game.

So id suggest trying to get your kid to watch some games on TV and get them into it. It will be much easier then at the game because they will understand it more and be used to it.

Sometime around 6 or 7 but be prepared to miss parts of the game getting food then another trip to concessions for popcorn then another trip to track down the cotton candy guy then another trip for whatever souvenir ice cream they have then another trip for a T-shirt and of course three bathroom breaks minimum.

We took our kids at 6 months - 1 year old. Regardless if it was right decision, here’s what I learned (through experience and feedback from others). Biggest issues were:

1. Noise: goal horn was really tough on them. I’ve heard others have brought headphones to dampen the sound. This was a BIG issue. We had to leave a game early because the Devils were crushing the Hurricanes and our kid couldn’t take the noise.

2. Seating: we brought a portable booster that we strapped into the seat. Worked fine. Without it, though, it would have been hard.

3. Food: we brought our own. No issues getting it in. This is a few years ago though, so may be worth checking what you can bring / how it needs to be packaged.

One other thing: if your kids are that young, you may not need a ticket for them. I feel like we bought tickets for them, but can’t remember. I do remember that we were able to bring our kids to a lot of places for “free” as long as they could reasonably sit on our lap. Of course, no ticket would mean that your kid would need to sit on your lap if there isn’t an empty seat nearby.

Thank you so much to all that responded/shared their experiences. He’s just past 3 now and I’m excited for the 1st experience (wish it was at home but that won’t happen for many years). I think basically it seems like everyone would agree that if I thought he could make it through a movie in the movie theater that it would be a good idea. I don’t think he’s ready for that just yet but he’s close so I will probably wait this year. The biggest thing of all of his is it’s a big commitment to go besides the price of admission it’s an hour and a half ride each way. I think I will just get him more hooked throughout this season and maybe aim for next year.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If he's under 5, my advice would be to go with your wife , not just you and him.
Pick one of the 1pm games, bring one of his smaller toys.

He will not want to just sit in his seat for long stretches of time, so, with two parents, you can rotate taking him to the bathroom and even just to walk around the concourse a few times when the game is going on.
Plus it increases your odds of being able to stay for the entire game.

Get a bag of cotton candy as soon as you see it entering the building. But hold off on giving it to him until the game starts, that will keep him busy/occupied for a little while.

It's a must to buy him a souvenir at the game, who cares if it's over-priced, but a little NJ Devil stuffed animal or something along the likes, he will have fun with it and remember that he got it at his first game.

Other than that, just have fun with him regardless of the score of the game, let him soak in the experience and explain to him the nuances of the game and how important it is to be a Devils fan.
I guarantee he will ask you to come back for more games.

Start em young and they will be lifelong fans.

Thanks you. I would definitely choose a 1pm if possible but only having 2 games down here to choose from, I don’t have many options.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thank you so much to all that responded/shared their experiences. He’s just past 3 now and I’m excited for the 1st experience (wish it was at home but that won’t happen for many years). I think basically it seems like everyone would agree that if I thought he could make it through a movie in the movie theater that it would be a good idea. I don’t think he’s ready for that just yet but he’s close so I will probably wait this year. The biggest thing of all of his is it’s a big commitment to go besides the price of admission it’s an hour and a half ride each way. I think I will just get him more hooked throughout this season and maybe aim for next year.

Oh that's right, you're in Florida.

Closer to TB or FLA?

It could be a risk that he favors the home team, so you got to prepare and deck him out in Red & Black.
Arrive early and go watch the Devils pregame skate against the glass.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Oh that's right, you're in Florida.

Closer to TB or FLA?

It could be a risk that he favors the home team, so you got to prepare and deck him out in Red & Black.
Arrive early and go watch the Devils pregame skate against the glass.

I’m actually pretty much right in between. Maybe Sunrise is 20-30 minutes further but I refuse to drive to that s******* anymore.

You hit the nail on the head with all my thoughts. I’m very “fearful” of him growing up in Tampa territory and gravitating towards what other kids down here wear but he’s been wearing red and black since he was a newborn so I started my part early. There also aren’t many people down here just walking around wearing hockey gear as you would see up north (unless you get near the arena on game day).

Pregame skate was a definite thought as well. Maybe get some attention from a player.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I’m actually pretty much right in between. Maybe Sunrise is 20-30 minutes further but I refuse to drive to that s******* anymore.

You hit the nail on the head with all my thoughts. I’m very “fearful” of him growing up in Tampa territory and gravitating towards what other kids down here wear but he’s been wearing red and black since he was a newborn so I started my part early. There also aren’t many people down here just walking around wearing hockey gear as you would see up north (unless you get near the arena on game day).

Pregame skate was a definite thought as well. Maybe get some attention from a player.

Make a sign with him that says my first hockey game with the Devils logo?

Face the ice with it, maybe a Devils player flips him a puck

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

Blackwood isnt the answer.... Johnson looks to have the "best potential". Just like Marty and kk, he plays hybrid. Hes still young, but from what I see his positioning is good, as is the movement post to post. Clearly needs to develop alot more but he has the tools needed to develop nicely.

Reactions: Quest for Stanley

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I still will never understand people wanting to trade a goalie when the organizational goalie depth is not good.

Its OK to have both Schneider and Kinkaid on the team...

From a fans perspective yes it is... for kk AND cory its not. Right now they are clearly 1a/1b and will prob get an even split of the rest of the games once cory returns. Starting goalies need to play consistently and dont like to sit, and now that kk has been the starter he doesnt want to leave the net. It's bad on a goalie bc you will never be able to get into a rhythm if you constantly go in and out of the lineup. Kk if (have always believed for years he would) he gets a starting contract wont resign with us...he wont split 50/50 with cory

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't really care about where Kinkaid may or may not sign in July. I care about winning games right now, in October and beyond. Neither one of these guys is going to bring any type of asset that will be worth even thinking about trading them. Lets keep them both, at least for a few months here, and see how things play out

Reactions: Darkauron

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
Can't Believe I'm saying this but we miss Lovejoy. Butcher is struggling without him. How much that says about Lovejoys ability to hockey and Grybas suckiness I don't know.

He is day-to-day, right? Any word on when he is about to return?

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->