Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Rock opens at 5pm tomorrow? Also, is there anyone who doesn't think we're better with Mueller in for Lovejoy?

Mueller definitely provides more than Lovejoy.

I think they're worried about having three young defenseman in a playoff game at the same time.

It's been either:

Mueller
Butcher

or

Butcher
Severson

I dont think they want all 3 at once. :dunno:

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah this is a really dumb take. The PK is also at 25% with Zajac on it, should we scratch him too? Should we scratch Coleman?

no, because the other players that you mentioned have value beyond penalty killing. big difference

we need lower line players that can make something out of nothing and Grabner does that.

he does? i must have been absent that day

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't really care if Stafford, Grabner, Gibbons, or Bratt is in the final spot. None have been very good and none will log many minutes. But you keep trying to relitigate the trade. Like if Grabner keeps playing bad that makes it a moronic trade. It doesn't. The trade obviously hasn't worked, but that doesn't make it a bad move on paper or the wrong decision at the time. It just didn't work, oh well. I'm gonna enjoy the playoff run, I don't give half a **** about a 2nd round pick or some Russian.

Those complaining about Grabner should point to their posts made at the time of the trade about how they saw Grabner’s game not fitting stylistically or that he wouldn’t provide any offense and his penalty killing wouldn’t make a difference. As you noted hindsight is 20/20. As bad as the Grabs trade has been the Maroon trade has made up for it. Also are the folks complaining about the Grabner trade suggesting Shero is a bad trader or are they just unhappy with this one trade? If the latter just ease up, it’s one trade in a much bigger body of work.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Those complaining about Grabner should point to their posts made at the time of the trade about how they saw Grabner’s game not fitting stylistically or that he wouldn’t provide any offense and his penalty killing wouldn’t make a difference.

Except it does.

Grabner has a been a terrible disappointment in terms of putting up points, but there's no denying he has been fantastic at killing penalties. As advertised, he's an elite penalty killer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Play Gibbles instead of Grabner.

I hope to not see Grabner again until next September or October, when he’s skating around in blue, after the team across the river signs him to a $5 million deal per year for 2-3 years. That would be awesome, as he won’t shoot his 16% from the last couple years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Except it does.

Grabner has a been a terrible disappointment in terms of putting up points, but there's no denying he has been fantastic at killing penalties. As advertised, he's an elite penalty killer.

No I’m not arguing that point. I agree he’s excellent on the PK even if his offense isn’t there. My point was that a fair amount of the Grabner trade bashing is result oriented. I’m suggesting that if you didn’t say the trade was bad when it was made and offer some opinion other than because it was with the Rangers or something other than because Grabner would play poorly or wouldn’t fit in, that it’s not really fair to bash it now because he struggled down the stretch. I’m ok with the trade and I’m ok with Grabner sitting or playing. Either way not a big deal to me. I get why Shero traded for him and sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men....

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
From The Athletic article "Dissecting Devils-Lightning Game 3: Taylor Hall does the heavy lifting in victory":

"Hall doesn't have the benefit of playing close to 100 percent of the available minutes like a basketball player, or the segmented, broken-down one-on-ones in baseball.

But every time Hall hopped over the boards in Game 3 it seemed like the Devils were playing in the Lightning's end and generating scoring chances. When he was on the bench, not so much.

(...) There are so many times Hall leaks out and I kind of wonder if he's cherrypicking or flying the zone too early, leaving his team shorthanded. But every time I further inspect, it's always a case of a measured, strategic chance being taken.

(...) Hall was a marvel to watch on Monday night. If it seemed like the puck was always on his stick, it's kind of because it was."

Dissecting Devils-Lightning Game 3: Taylor Hall does the... (Paywall)

Reactions: Tao Jones

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Nothing on the Nico spear? Whether he got injured or not that was a bit vicious. Deserves at least one game.

Looks even worse from this angle

giphy.gif

On a more serious note, hope he's ok

Nico was definitely pissed when that happened

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Would be harsh to suspend someone for that one in the playoffs IMO. Should - however - be a minor.
Rule 635 | Spearing

(Note) Spearing is the act of poking, stabbing, or attempting to poke or stab an opponent with the tip of the blade of the stick while holding the stick with one or both hands.
(a) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be assessed for spearing an opponent.
(b) A match penalty for attempt to injure or deliberate injury to an opponent may also be assessed for spearing.

Reactions: GameSeven

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
From The Athletic article "Dissecting Devils-Lightning Game 3: Taylor Hall does the heavy lifting in victory":

"Hall doesn't have the benefit of playing close to 100 percent of the available minutes like a basketball player, or the segmented, broken-down one-on-ones in baseball.

But every time Hall hopped over the boards in Game 3 it seemed like the Devils were playing in the Lightning's end and generating scoring chances. When he was on the bench, not so much.

(...) There are so many times Hall leaks out and I kind of wonder if he's cherrypicking or flying the zone too early, leaving his team shorthanded. But every time I further inspect, it's always a case of a measured, strategic chance being taken.

(...) Hall was a marvel to watch on Monday night. If it seemed like the puck was always on his stick, it's kind of because it was."

Dissecting Devils-Lightning Game 3: Taylor Hall does the... (Paywall)
ehh, I love Hall but that's not entirely true. He had a few defensive breakdowns last night that led to Tampa scoring chances.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

It’s a joke. A spear well away from any hockey going on. If Nico ends up with a torn groin and misses the rest of the playoffs then Hedman gets a long suspension but since Nico was ok he doesn’t even get a penalty.

The ref was looking right at that play and let it go too. That ref should have to get speared for apparently thinking it’s no big deal.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
The league is pathetic! At the very least give him a fine. Sends a message that it’s acceptable PATHETIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad