Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VII - Playoff push; read warning in OP first

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
lol you cut off the image where there was a devil where severson's pass was headed towards. when they're saying blind pass they mean that the guy who is passing is assuming a Devils player is there to receive it based on positioning and whatnot. Meaning not directly looking at the player they are passing too. Severson played the most time on defense and didn't get benched for that. Zacha had a blind pass into the slot in the toronto game that led to a great chance and didn't get benched.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
TG picked us for the first round :)
NHL.COM picks said:
NHL.COM picks

Tom Gulitti, NHL.com Staff Writer

Eastern Conference First Round
TBL vs. NJD: New Jersey Devils
BOS vs. TOR: Boston Bruins
WSH vs. CBJ: Washington Capitals
PIT vs. PHI: Pittsburgh Penguins
Western Conference First Round
NSH vs. COL: Nashville Predators
WPG vs. MIN: Minnesota Wild
VGK vs. LAK: Vegas Golden Knights
ANA vs. SJS: San Jose Sharks
Stanley Cup Final: Predators over Capitals
Conn Smythe Trophy: Filip Forsberg, Predators

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If there's a player getting passes on their tape, it's not a "blind" pass.

There is not a coach in the NHL, or in the West Peoria PEE-WEE hockey league, telling his defensemen to blindly pass pucks into the defensive zone slot.

Just......no....nope...no.
Fine, if you are fishing for a win at this point, the "blind" can mean at the time of the pass, but previously they scanned the ice like any hockey player would to either know who to pass to or where the pass would be. So they see who is on the ice, the direction they are heading and then when pinned in, they can THEN blindly pass to that spot. At least I hope that is what happens. Does that work for you? We all win this way, weird around these parts, I know, but I would rather move back into being excited about the playoffs.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
There's like a legitimate hatred for Severson from some of the guys on this board. It's very weird. IDK what Severson did to them. Anyways, that's all I'm stating on the topic

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
There's like a legitimate hatred for Severson from some of the guys on this board. It's very weird. IDK what Severson did to them. Anyways, that's all I'm stating on the topic

It's called being objective and calling it like it is. If Taylor Hall was crapping all over the place, I'd call him out as well.

I really don't care who the player is, if he's not performing, I'll call him out. It has nothing to do with Severson and everything to do with Severson's game... or lack there of.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Looking at the scoring numbers for the Devils it still amazes me both how well the team did and how much the team relied on Hall. Basically it looks like the team spent all season trying to build a second line with mixed success. If MarJo is healthy maybe he gets it together and they could have had more balanced scoring. Hopefully the Wood PZ Maroon line continues its stellar play. If it does that will go a long way towards evening up the series with TB. That and the goaltending of course.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Looking at the scoring numbers for the Devils it still amazes me both how well the team did and how much the team relied on Hall. Basically it looks like the team spent all season trying to build a second line with mixed success. If MarJo is healthy maybe he gets it together and they could have had more balanced scoring. Hopefully the Wood PZ Maroon line continues its stellar play. If it does that will go a long way towards evening up the series with TB. That and the goaltending of course.

Not having a second line center for close to half our season was the main reason why we had trouble relying on another line.

Reactions: My3Sons

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
LMAO, if you think our defense is blindly passing the puck in our slot purposely,this is the most ridiculous and absurd statement I've heard so far to defend Severson.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

No, it's not hatred. It's objectivity. But, there's a legitimate blind love towards Severson and he might have been our 5th best defenseman this year.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Severson showed us all that he can turn out to be a legit #3 while being able to play top pairing minutes if need be... but he also showed us that when he's horrible, he's less effective then Ben Lovejoy and that's saying something.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
We really do make the pass out front from both the corner and behind the net frequently..Not too long ago Daneyko during a game went on a diatribe about how he is old school and doesn't like it but everyone is doing it. It was on a play from Greene to Vatanen from behind the net with a forechecker on him if I remember correctly.

Dano's favorite comment this year is "the best play is sometimes off the glass". If a centering pass breaks the pressure it was the right play.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
LMAO, if you think our defense is blindly passing the puck in our slot purposely,this is the most ridiculous and absurd statement I've heard so far to defend Severson.
I wasn't defending anyone either time I pointed it out over the last few weeks, nor am I now. It happens, the Devils do it, whether you see it or not doesn't matter, enough other people do. Maybe stop looking at it from a severson argument and you will realize. I said from the start I'm not on either side of this debate about him, solely pointing out the fact that blind passes to the slot are a thing and it will bite them if they play the same team a few times in a row. Which they are scheduled to do very soon.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I wasn't defending anyone either time I pointed it out over the last few weeks, nor am I now. It happens, the Devils do it, whether you see it or not doesn't matter, enough other people do. Maybe stop looking at it from a severson argument and you will realize. I said from the start I'm not on either side of this debate about him, solely pointing out the fact that blind passes to the slot are a thing and it will bite them if they play the same team a few times in a row. Which they are scheduled to do very soon.

No, but defending Severson because other do it (Which I will never believe it's actually done on purpose) is not an argument to defend his stupid play.

Every player that f***s up gets shit, see Zacha, see Mirco, see Vatanen, etc, but I've never witnessed anything like it in regards people defending Severson. It's completely ridiculous. Dude was sat by our coach because he plays like he's playing pond hockey. Another player came in and actually solidified our defense, and queue the "Mueller played vs shit teams", Severson was sat because he was terrible on top of that it was against shit teams also.

People don't want to admit it because they don't want to admit they are wrong, but Severson hasn't shown any progress since he's been in the league, after having chance after chance, yet other players we're put in his position and the team has looked better. Scoring 60 but allowing 70 isn't better then scoring 50 and allowing 40.

Severson must be the second most hyped defenseman in in my time watching that isn't living up to the hype

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Severson must be the second most hyped defenseman in in my time watching that isn't living up to the hype

To be fair, I dont think that's true at all.

If you look at this board, there are only about 4 or 5 posters out of a few hundred people that constantly post "Severson love" regardless of what he does wrong.

I think most people objectively realize Severson wasnt playing well and deserved to be benched.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
This one's a doozy!
Larsson isn’t very good. People only think he is because he’s “Safe”. Larsson isn’t that much better than Mark Fayne. I would have had the doors blown off of me for saying this while he was still an NJD, but he isn’t that good. If he weren’t picked 4th overall then people wouldn’t GAF about him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You don’t have to even think Severson is that good to think he’s better than Moore, Mueller, or Lovejoy. That’s the funniest thing about this. Lol @ suggesting you can make an actual objective argument in support of the idea that Moore or Mueller is better than Severson. Congrats, you can post raw goals for and goals against numbers as if that tells you anything. The smugness combined with the obviously incorrect narrative is so funny.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I agree as well. It's incredibly frustrating to watch him play actual defense.

However, I can't think of anyone else other than Vatanen who reads plays better in the offensive zone. He battles hard to win 50/50 pucks in the offensive zone.
Sevo is good at getting out of the defensive zone and not staying in the defensive zone, but in the rare event where he gets caught back there then it’s time to look out. He never knows who to cover. That’s the biggest problem with him. Larsson knows who to cover, he just doesn’t have enough skill to consistently move the puck out of danger. And he can’t skate, unlike Sevo. Sevo can do all those things, he just needs to be more aware in his own end.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You don’t have to even think Severson is that good to think he’s better than Moore, Mueller, or Lovejoy. That’s the funniest thing about this. Lol @ suggesting you can make an actual objective argument in support of the idea that Moore or Mueller is better than Severson. Congrats, you can post raw goals for and goals against numbers as if that tells you anything. The smugness combined with the obviously incorrect narrative is so funny.
I think too many people forgot about what Lovejoy looked like last year.

Lovejoy only looks good as 16-17 minute a night defenseman. He was shelled last year when playing with Greene.

And I seem to remember Greene looking a hell of a lot better last year than he did this year. Imagine Lovejoy paired with this year's Greene for 40-50 games?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Larsson isn’t very good. People only think he is because he’s “Safe”. Larsson isn’t that much better than Mark Fayne. I would have had the doors blown off of me for saying this while he was still an NJD, but he isn’t that good. If he weren’t picked 4th overall then people wouldn’t GAF about him.

If you want to say Larsson is a disappointment for a #4 overall pick, fine, that's one thing.

But to say Damon Severson is a better NHL defenseman than Adam Larsson tells me you dont ever tune into Edmonton Oilers games. That's just silly talk.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you want to say Larsson is a disappointment for a #4 overall pick, fine, that's one thing.

But to say Damon Severson is a better NHL defenseman than Adam Larsson tells me you dont ever tune into Edmonton Oilers games. That's just silly talk.
I can't speak for him, but I've seen plenty of Oilers games and Larsson has just been okay or whatever. He hasn't been anything special. They traded Hall for him and their D still sucks. And we got a better defenseman since then in Vatanen (please don't tell me you think Vatanen is not better than Larsson).

I don't think Larsson is as bad as he does, but I also don't think he's all that good either. He makes a good point about the ''Safe'' thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->