Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VII - Playoff push; read warning in OP first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Or maybe the fanboys have trouble admitting Severson is really not that good at defending.

Note: I didn't say passing.

This has nothing to do with Severson. +/- is bad, and I thought it was bad before I had ever heard of Damon Severson, and I will think it is bad long after he is gone.

I don't think Severson is playing well lately either.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A lot of numbers.

I have no idea where you got these numbers, but 5 on 5 here's the plus/minus (without tonight's game):

Butcher: +7
Lovejoy: +3
Mueller: +1
Moore: -1
Santini: -1
Vatanen: -3
Severson: -6
Greene: -10

So yeah, here's the real numbers. Severson is -6 but he has to play with Moore which would hurt anyone. I think his pairing with Greene didn't go well. He's not playing great lately either, but again, playing with Moore stinks - if the Devils improve the left side, they'll see Severson's numbers improve as well.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Just re-listened to the Maroon post-trade interview

He sounded genuinely happy talking about his Edmonton buddies and he seemed real sincere about going back there in July. Hell, he mentioned it three times.

I have a bad feeling he will - but MAYBE if we go on a playoff tear he will love it here! Plus he has family roots

As for Grabner I see him staying 90%, if not here than NYI

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just re-listened to the Maroon post-trade interview

He sounded genuinely happy talking about his Edmonton buddies and he seemed real sincere about going back there in July. Hell, he mentioned it three times.

I have a bad feeling he will - but MAYBE if we go on a playoff tear he will love it here! Plus he has family roots

As for Grabner I see him staying 90%, if not here than NYI
I’d rather keep Maroon than Grabner and I realize Maroon is way overachieving in points right now with us, but I feel he’s a better fit.

But I also feel like both of them are getting contracts that we might seriously wanna think about not giving.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Out of curiosity, and obviously with games to spare still, where do you guys rank Hall’s individual season among Devils history?

It has to be up in the top 3 for me, maybe top 2. What he has managed to do almost single handedly at times to guide this team to wins, including the gap between him and the second leading scorer, is so remarkable. One of the most enjoyable individual seasons I’ve ever witnessed as a Devil fan.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I have no idea where you got these numbers, but 5 on 5 here's the plus/minus (without tonight's game):

Butcher: +7
Lovejoy: +3
Mueller: +1
Moore: -1
Santini: -1
Vatanen: -3
Severson: -6
Greene: -10

So yeah, here's the real numbers. Severson is -6 but he has to play with Moore which would hurt anyone. I think his pairing with Greene didn't go well. He's not playing great lately either, but again, playing with Moore stinks - if the Devils improve the left side, they'll see Severson's numbers improve as well.
You might want to check hockey-reference. And nope, Severson has been terrible for the past 4 games. He had a solid 2nd period last night.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Out of curiosity, and obviously with games to spare still, where do you guys rank Hall’s individual season among Devils history?

It has to be up in the top 3 for me, maybe top 2. What he has managed to do almost single handedly at times to guide this team to wins, including the gap between him and the second leading scorer, is so remarkable. One of the most enjoyable individual seasons I’ve ever witnessed as a Devil fan.
If he reaches 90+ point, I might argue it's one of the best in history of this franchise, if not the best.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
And Mueller has to be put back in. He has never looked worse then LJ at any point with us. Before his injury he was playing very well.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Usually don't like speaking in definitives similar to this, nor is this based on the couple of more gaffes last night, but in my life as a Devils fan, I'm not sure there have been many, if any worse defensemen out there on a consistent basis than Lovejoy. Post 2005 lockout, we've had a few questionable guys out there consistently such as Harrold, Mottau, Fraser, and a couple of others, but even they at least brought something to the table in an area or two. I was more comfortable with some of those guys than I have been with Lovejoy.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It isn’t above Elias 2000-01
Elias had an amazing team. He was playing for a contender. His support cast was way above what Hall have currently, and Hall probably won't ever step in a hockey rink playing for a team as good as the 2000-2001 Devils.

But I will put it as 1a) and 1b) if Hall reaches 90+ and obviously if we are strictly speaking about offense, because Elias 2 way games blows Taylor Hall out of the water.

and dude do you ever sleep? :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Will Mueller play another game this season?

Depends on injury and whether the team can clinch a playoff berth quickly, if they do find a way in with a couple games to spare they can spell a guy like Butcher or even the captain for a game down the stretch. But I doubt if things remain as they are that they're changing the rotation, they haven't for months other than the one game Mueller went in for Moore which was a nightmare early.

Among skaters you could make an argument he's #1, mindful that Patty's Patty and the 2000-01 statistically was the greatest season for a Devils forward but on a stacked team he just couldn't have the same impact as a Hall this year, or even a Brian Gionta in 2005-06. Stevens getting 78 points in 1993-94 and a +53 anchoring the Devils' improvement into an upper-echelon team was an extremely underrated season, especially since most years it wins the Norris.

Definitely some of Marty's seasons were comparable (if not more so) in terms of effectiveness and individual impact on a team, especially post-lockout when he carried defenses with White/Mottau as the shutdown pairing.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Among skaters you could make an argument he's #1, mindful that Patty's Patty and the 2000-01 statistically was the greatest season for a Devils forward but on a stacked team he just couldn't have the same impact as a Hall this year, or even a Brian Gionta in 2005-06. Stevens getting 78 points in 2003-04 and a +53 anchoring the Devils' improvement into an upper-echelon team was an extremely underrated season, especially since most years it wins the Norris.

Definitely some of Marty's seasons were comparable (if not more so) in terms of effectiveness and individual impact on a team, especially post-lockout when he carried defenses with White/Mottau as the shutdown pairing.

I should have clarified that I was thinking strictly forwards there, as we've historically had fantastic defenders and the greatest of all time in net. :) I definitely agree with your points.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Stevens getting 78 points in 2003-04 and a +53 anchoring the Devils' improvement into an upper-echelon team was an extremely underrated season, especially since most years it wins the Norris.

Off by a decade there. :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Barring injury, Mueller will not see the ice again this season.

I get the obsession with Greene since he is the captain, but I can't figure out the LJ situation. It's like the worse he plays, the more icetime he is given.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sevs is scratched now that I think about it. Maybe Mirco gets in the lineup for Sevs...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Severson hasn’t been at his best for at least the last few weeks and was awful in his last 3 or 4 before last night, but he played fairly well against the Penguins. You don’t bench Severson after last game, you bench Lovejoy.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We need the purge this defense of it's mediocre players in the offseason. I would trade or move on from the following:

Lovejoy
Moore
Greene

I would also be willing to trade a package of Santini and other forward prospects to improve our top pairing LHD.

At minimum, I am looking for a new defensive coach for this team in the offseason. It is always a concern so many players show a lack of development, that is a coaching issue. Bring back Scott Stevens please.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Severson hasn’t been at his best for at least the last few weeks and was awful in his last 3 or 4 before last night, but he played fairly well against the Penguins. You don’t bench Severson after last game, you bench Lovejoy.
I thought he had a poor first period, a great second period, and an up and down third period.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We need the purge this defense of it's mediocre players in the offseason. I would trade or move on from the following:

Lovejoy
Moore
Greene

I would also be willing to trade a package of Santini and other forward prospects to improve our top pairing LHD.

At minimum, I am looking for a new defensive coach for this team in the offseason. It is always a concern so many players show a lack of development, that is a coaching issue. Bring back Scott Stevens please.
Severson for Klefbom, then sign Carlson! Make it happen! :)

I agree with the coaching. I can't stand Nasreddine, but I'm not sure Stevens is the answer. He may be, but he may also be stuck in 90's mentality. No matter what though, I'd love to have him as some kind of special assignment coach to help the young D. I'm just unsure of the personnel decisions he'd make.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kink was a beast.

Nico too, especially on the OT goal.

Hall had his best game in a while, where would this team be without him.

He was goal hanging a lot, if Nico doesn't get the puck out its 2 on 3.

Bratt was very bad, Palms was worse.

It's essential to get LJ out and either Mueller or Santni in.

Coleman is a vital cog .

Good to see Butch score.

Could use more from Boyle and Grabner

Sevs has to smarten up.

Don't start Greene on the opening draw unless you want to get pinned and give up a few early chances.

Huge win last night, now it's time to protect home ice.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Kink was a beast.

Nico too, especially on the OT goal.

Hall had his best game in a while, where would this team be without him.

He was goal hanging a lot, if Nico doesn't get the puck out its 2 on 3.

Bratt was very bad, Palms was worse.

It's essential to get LJ out and either Mueller or Santni in.

Coleman is a vital cog .

Good to see Butch score.

Could use more from Boyle and Grabner

Sevs has to smarten up.

Don't start Greene on the opening draw unless you want to get pinned and give up a few early chances.

Huge win last night, now it's time to protect home ice.
The faith that Hall put in Nico to win that puck battle in was awesome. Nico is so much stronger on the puck now than he was in October, it's just crazy. Nico will be a nightmare to play against once he gets his big boy muscles.

I wonder what is up with Bratt, is he just tired or what, the kid just looks like he has no gas.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
He didn't play fairly well. He was horrendous in both the 1st and 3rd period (might have been a bit better than the 1st). He was very good in the 2nd period. Yea, Definitely bench LJ, and put Mueller in, I'm all for that.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Severson for Klefbom, then sign Carlson! Make it happen! :)

I agree with the coaching. I can't stand Nasreddine, but I'm not sure Stevens is the answer. He may be, but he may also be stuck in 90's mentality. No matter what though, I'd love to have him as some kind of special assignment coach to help the young D. I'm just unsure of the personnel decisions he'd make.
id rather have Sevs, Klefbom hasn't been all that good this year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->