Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) IV - March to the Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Short of a fleecing I don't see how Shero would rock the boat by trading Moore right now. It kinda sucks because I think we could net a decent pick to flip elsewhere but right now he's worth more to us on the team.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
are we really talking about trading moore again? wow.....

if you want the team to be booking tee times go ahead.... trade him

if they were smart they would lock him up right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Trading Moore to play Mueller probably makes the team worse to be honest the rest of this year. And I'm not even a big Moore guy.
I don't want him back past this year, we can't keep everybody just to keep them.

But I think we may as well keep him the rest of this year. If we don't keep him, that's gonna probably be more minutes for someone that sucks. Whether it's even more minutes for Andy Greene again (who has been playing less recently, and thank god for that) or maybe playing even more of Lovejoy.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
I don't want him back past this year, we can't keep everybody just to keep them.

But I think we may as well keep him the rest of this year. If we don't keep him, that's gonna probably be more minutes for someone that sucks. Whether it's even more minutes for Andy Greene again (who has been playing less recently, and thank god for that) or maybe playing even more of Lovejoy.

and why is that?

what is your solution after this year?

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
The only reason not to trade Moore is to not disrupt the locker room.

On ice he would not be missed.

what world are you guys living in?

is this some crusade to prove you are right because youve hated on him since hes been here? hes one of our better players. you dont just let him go.

funny how vats gets a pass but moore is the black sheep. moore is finding his game and realizing his role. thats a guy we want right now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
what world are you guys living in?

is this some crusade to prove you are right because youve hated on him since hes been here? hes one of our better players. you dont just let him go.

funny how vats gets a pass but moore is the black sheep. moore is finding his game and realizing his role. thats a guy we want right now.

Vats gets a "pass" because he has been our best D since arriving outside of Severson.

Moore is a bad Dman. He can't clear the puck. He is constantly out of position .

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
and why is that?

what is your solution after this year?
As I've been saying for a while now

Upgrade to someone better than Moore. Like Carlson in UFA or maybe a trade for someone.

If we keep Moore after this year, we're pretty much making no improvements to our defense for next year and that means that Lovejoy is probably gonna keep playing and Andy Greene is still gonna be second in ice time on the team, when he really shouldn't be anymore.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Moore has been hot garbage since Christmas.

He was one of our best defensemen early on, but recently he's just been getting lost everywhere.

I'm fine trading him, his offense will be sort of missed, but I think Mueller is going to be a better player with more playing time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Moore has been good, outside of a stretch of games recently where he was kind of bad.

My biggest worry is that he's not as good as he's been this year. It might just be an up year.

Even if it's not and he really is good, he'll be signed and still be our #3-4 defenseman, while Andy Greene is still our #2 defenseman and Greene should be on the bottom pairing at this point. At the very least, Greene should be playing where Moore is right now and we ideally upgrade with someone that should be playing where Greene has been this year.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
As I've been saying for a while now

Upgrade to someone better than Moore. Like Carlson in UFA or maybe a trade for someone.

If we keep Moore after this year, we're pretty much making no improvements to our defense for next year and that means that Lovejoy is probably gonna keep playing and Andy Greene is still gonna be second in ice time on the team, when he really shouldn't be anymore.

im all for going after carlson. but what if it doesnt happen?

i think moore is a good piece. he has won more games than hes lost for us. the hate comes from his history and people who hate on him wont admit that. he is not as bad as people make him out to be. it really is interesting.

not saying lets give him a long term deal. but see if he bites on a 2 year or maybe a 1 year deal. if it doesnt work out we can bury him. no reason to let him leave for nothing.

yeah he gets beat on races sometimes, hes in the wrong place every now and then. but not more than any other average d man. yet hes playing minutes that indicate hes more than average. dont think hes been all that bad and i think this board hates on him wayyyy too much. dont know why.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I thought Moore's last game was the first time I even began to understand why the staff might value him.

That being said, he's not a solid defender and he doesn't score enough to be considered a go to offensive guy. So basically he does nothing but skate well. Cut him loose.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Vats gets a "pass" because he has been our best D since arriving outside of Severson.

Moore is a bad Dman. He can't clear the puck. He is constantly out of position .

vats gets a pass because we traded for him. he has been out of position just as much as moore. yes he is a much better player and his vision puts moore to shame. his passing/vision is great but dont tell me hes in position more than moore (that sounded weird ;))

when hes out of position it leads to lost games. moore may screw the pooch every now and then but hes fine overall. in a perfect world we keep both.

i get that moore is expendable but i think they should keep him and really think they will.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It depends on what you're getting back for Moore. If we could get a decent RW to replace Stafford, go for it. But if the return is just a 3rd round pick, I don't think he's going anywhere.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
the thing is, moore is a UFA after this year. if we don't move him, he walks for nothing.

we would def miss his offense, but i think he's replaceable. there are plenty of D his caliber that are available. aside from carlson, there's de haan, barberio, and a bunch of RFA LD on teams that are cap strapped, who we might be able to make a move for

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm fine with losing Moore for nothing if they feel the team is better off with him than without him down the stretch. If you can somehow improve the team by moving him, great. If not, you don't want to mess too much with locker room chemistry.

The Rico trade was different because it was a trade to address an area of need.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
the thing is, moore is a UFA after this year. if we don't move him, he walks for nothing.

we would def miss his offense, but i think he's replaceable. there are plenty of D his caliber that are available. aside from carlson, there's de haan, barberio, and a bunch of RFA LD on teams that are cap strapped, who we might be able to make a move for

when we replace him ill concede the point. right now im just for keeping him. bottom line is this team will be fine. im a moore fan so sue me.

wonder if adding vegas is drawing this trade season out? every gm seems to be sitting on their hands right now.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i wonder. i'm looking at the list that @Devilswede put down (the teams we're lookin at, supposedly), and i'm looking at the kings. so, if they really like LaDue as a D and will need to sign a new backup this offseason, they'll have to shed some contracts. the idea of derek forbort appeals to me. i also wonder if there's ANY SHOT we can peel muzzin from their hands, based on needs.

OR, if we can do something with edmonton. they're gonna have to give (i assume) ryan strome a raise, so that'll be all the money they get from clearing cammalleri and maroon (Vancouver Canucks Multi-Year Cap). i assume drake caggiula will also get a raise.

i'm really intrigued with minnesota though. they're not losing many contracts, and zucker is gonna get a fat raise, along with dumba. anything we can take from there?

if any of my ideas sound crazy, it's only because i'm rambling. i like generating discussion.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
LA is currently in a playoff spot so I doubt they sell, but instead would look at hockey trades.

Wild are as well.

Both teams will be more likely to look at shedding contracts and salary in the offseason, not at the deadline.

That list is too large to properly speculate what we could or couldn’t do. Want to see that narrowed down before really trying to guess who we are looking at.

Reactions: theoptimist

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Moore is too risky to bring back next year. His track record is quite poor before this year. He's played well this year and has done better than Santini/Mueller, etc., but again I'm not giving him a decent sized contract to see him revert back to his usual ways.

We can get rid of Lovejoy/Moore all we want this off-season, but unless Mueller/Santini make GREAT strides this off-season, it certainly isn't a lock that we are getting any better.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
vats gets a pass because we traded for him. he has been out of position just as much as moore. yes he is a much better player and his vision puts moore to shame. his passing/vision is great but dont tell me hes in position more than moore (that sounded weird ;))

when hes out of position it leads to lost games. moore may screw the pooch every now and then but hes fine overall. in a perfect world we keep both.

i get that moore is expendable but i think they should keep him and really think they will.

When Moore has bad games he is miles out of position. I don't see that from Vats. When Vats has a bad game it's more from bad decisions with the puck. There are times where Moore is at the blue line while his man is standing next to the net.

I am not for moving Moore for the hell of it. But if a team offers a good package I would take it and trust that Mueller, Greene, and Butcher can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->