Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) II - Let's Overreact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You pretty much have to keep the Gibbons-Zajac-Coleman line together, they have been fantastic.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Why not just take the four lines approach and just ride whoever is hot.

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Palmieri
Johansson - Boyle - Noesen
Coleman - Zajac - Gibbons

If all three go back, it might be best off doing this for the first game or two until they get back to 100%.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Fun little fact: we only have 3 Canadians in our lineup. Zajac, Hall, Severson. Prout is also but he doesn’t really play. I’d guess we have the lowest or close to lowest number. We also have 15!! Americans. Shero and Hynes’ role in Team USA probably factors in a little but that’s insanity.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ohhh and the way Severson has been playing the last 3 games is rapidly approaching elite level.

I hope this continues and he has even more room to grow, it's easy to forget that he's only 23 years old, but if there is more room to grow, Severson is going to be a #1 in the not too distant future.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Ohhh and the way Severson has been playing the last 3 games is rapidly approaching elite level.

I hope this continues and he has even more room to grow, it's easy to forget that he's only 23 years old, but if there is more room to grow, Severson is going to be a #1 in the not too distant future.

His contract already looks like a steal. Very glad we locked him up long term. Severson-Vatenen-Santini could be one of the best right sides in the league.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos

Love how sevs took the body and broke up those near break always last night.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can’t stop watching this play by Santini in Montreal

This is the new hard to play against. Santini is great at subtly removing opponents from the play.

Except that should kind of be a penalty lol...but hey the refs have called enough horse**** on us I don't mind them missing that one.

Love how sevs took the body and broke up those near break always last night.

Yep credit where credit's due, he was actually really good defensively last night and overall the last few games. I don't even think his defensive play is as much the issue as the careless turnovers that cause great chances against, but he's shelved that lately too.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Very impressed with the strides Wood has taken this season, looks like a completely different and matured player from last season.

Also can't help but be pleased with the way they've responded these past 3 games after hitting a rut for the better part of the previous 2 weeks. Down several key offensive players these past 3 and even despite the loss to Montreal, all 3 games have been well played.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Why not just take the four lines approach and just ride whoever is hot.

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Zacha - Palmieri
Johansson - Boyle - Noesen
Coleman - Zajac - Gibbons

If all three go back, it might be best off doing this for the first game or two until they get back to 100%.

Johansson should be with a shooter and Wood evens out the speed on Boyle’s line. Flip those 2 and it’s perfect.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It seems like our strategy on defense is to let a guy work up his confidence, then play him against the top lines, have a few good games, then a few awful games when they show they're not top defenders, and then just rinse and repeat.

Moore and Vatanen were starting to look very good and then the Devils used them as a shutdown duo. Santini and Severson are playing well right now, but one of the two is destined to be used with Greene as a shutdown pairing soon.

I'd honestly rather keep Severson in the role he's at. Just let him continue to dominate and add a new level to his game rather than play him in the shutdown role.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Except that should kind of be a penalty lol...but hey the refs have called enough horse**** on us I don't mind them missing that one.
Is it though? Because you’re allowed to lift the stick. So I don’t know if they’re going to penalize you because the other guy either holds on loosely or lets go.

But part of being hard to play against is walking that line between legal and illegal play. Santini seems to know how.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
yeah not as much a penalty as a weak grip. used to have a coach in hockey camp that would do that to anyone who did not have two hands on their stick.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Put Palms with Nico and Hall.

Bratt had good chemistry with Mojo earlier in the season.

The kids and Hall is too light of a line night in and night out.

They were starting to get pushed around a little too much.
Exactly. There was more chemistry with Hall-Hischier-Palmieri and then Bratt with Johansson then Bratt with Hall-Hischier.

And Zajac has played a complete game the last 3-4 whereas Zacha, while improving, has still been too easy going in for puck battles.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
What's up with Wood? He was supposed to do an autograph event in Warren today, and I received an email that it is postponed because of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad