Development Camp

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
Missed the scrimmage. Sounds like Berggren had himself a game. Any other standouts? How did Zadina and Rasmussen look?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Funny that Berg killed it, Malik wasn't very high on him the previous 4 days due to his apparent and undeniable size fetish.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Malik is a total mystery. He thinks Lindstrom is a future top pairing guy, but doesn't like McIsaac at all.

Honestly, I would just assume that the opposite of what Malik says about players is the truth.

He is decent at predicting bottom 3 grinders but that is about it. Though since he was a goalie from when he played however long ago I respect his judging of technique with goaltenders.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He is decent at predicting bottom 3 grinders but that is about it. Though since he was a goalie from when he played however long ago I respect his judging of technique with goaltenders.
Yeah, he's been kind of diplomatically suggesting that the goalie prospects the Wings have right now are not so great. Which is the same kind of thing the The Athletic article concluded about the 2 goalies drafted this time.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Missed the scrimmage. Sounds like Berggren had himself a game. Any other standouts? How did Zadina and Rasmussen look?

Missed most of the third, but here were my impressions up until then:

Berggren was awesome. Thought he was the best player today. Fast, always involved and he had a couple of high skill plays (between the legs pass, backhand pass through everyone).

Zadina showed why he's so highly touted without getting as much actual production as you'd like. He was generally quiet making the smart pass/play but then he'd have a sick dangle, high skill play to set up a solid opportunity. He drove the net well sometimes, consistently beating defenders with his skill. He also backchecked very well.

Rasmussen: he got a tip goal, but was generally unnoticeable besides that. That's his game. He went to the front of the net and you could see why he produces well from there, he's a force in front and always looking for tips and rebounds. Didn't create many opportunities and I was a little dismayed by his lack of backcheck and skating. He was generally behind the play coming back. Zadina contributed more defensively despite Rasmussen's reputation.

Veleno: He was fast and had some good setups. Seems very physically developed and has a really powerful first step. Played well overall.

Kivenmaki:. Similar to Berggren he was flying and always involved. Showed flashes with some high skill plays and speed. Also had some good passes which is surprising as that's supposed to be another area where he's lacking. He's tiny and you can tell.

Cholowski: he was steady, skated well, passed well, but didn't do too much to stand out like I was hoping.

I thought a lot of the older college guys like Adams had good showings, but I wasn't as interested in them. Kivenmaki was the only under-the-radar guy that stood out enough to make me go "hmmm, that kid's got some stuff" despite his draft position.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
How was Gogolev and who was the best RhD to impress?

Nice to hear Berggren and Kivemäki succeeding.
You could tell Gogolev wanted a contract. He worked hard out there and had some impressive hands. Looked good to me.

I wasn't too impressed with any of the D tbch. McIsaac had some good passes and a couple of dumb turnovers to match. Skated well. Cholowski was the best of them and he was quiet. Most of the D were getting beat pretty consistently by the forwards.

If I had to pick a RHD it would be Lindstrom as he didn't get beat too much and had some good passes.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Berggren was awesome. Thought he was the best player today. Fast, always involved and he had a couple of high skill plays (between the legs pass, backhand pass through everyone).

Zadina showed why he's so highly touted without getting as much actual production as you'd like. He was generally quiet making the smart pass/play but then he'd have a sick dangle, high skill play to set up a solid opportunity. He drove the net well sometimes, consistently beating defenders with his skill. He also backchecked very well.

Rasmussen: he got a tip goal, but was generally unnoticeable besides that. That's his game. He went to the front of the net and you could see why he produces well from there, he's a force in front and always looking for tips and rebounds. Didn't create many opportunities and I was a little dismayed by his lack of backcheck and skating. He was generally behind the play coming back. Zadina contributed more defensively despite Rasmussen's reputation. Edit:Nice pass from Rasmussen to Zadina on the OT winner.

Veleno: He was fast and had some good setups. Seems very physically developed and has a really powerful first step. Played well overall.

Kivenmaki:. Similar to Berggren he was flying and always involved. Showed flashes with some high skill plays and speed. Also had some good passes which is surprising as that's supposed to be another area where he's lacking. He's tiny and you can tell.

Cholowski: he was steady, skated well, passed well, but didn't do too much to stand out like I was hoping.

I thought a lot of the older college guys like Adams had good showings, but I wasn't as interested in them. Kivenmaki was the only under-the-radar guy that stood out enough to make me go "hmmm, that kid's got some stuff" despite his draft position.
Tried to edit my earlier post, replied instead for some reason. Delete this MOD. Sorry

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Berggren was good in the first two periods, had a quieter third period. Nice shootout goal.

Zadina had some nice plays where he would use his shiftiness to create scoring opportunities on his own. Got a nice feed in OT from Rasmussen and scored an absolute beauty in the shootout.

Rasmussen had good and bad shifts. Offensively he did a couple of good feeds. Had a couple of bad turnovers. Looks like he could use an extra gear. Nice pass to Zadina in OT.

Smith looks like a good 3rd/4th liner. Strong with some moves when he has space. Limited offensive vision though.

Gogolev had a couple of scoring opportunities, showed good speed. I think he was worth a draft pick at least.

Veleno showed some good speed bursts.

I also liked Golod, thought he had a good drive, can carry the puck and has some moves.

On D, I liked Cholowski, Barton, Regula but no one really stood out that much.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
From what I've seen of him, he's a good and creative passer and definitely more of a playmaker than scorer. Dangerous on the PP, ran Ässät's PP this past season from the half wall and scored about half his points on the PP too (mostly assists).

He does also like to shoot the puck but while his wrister is accurate and he takes smart shots, it seems to lack power and therefore isn't often a huge threat. If he can improve that, it would probably make his offensive game even more stronger. His skating speed is another thing I think could make a huge difference if improved. He's certainly not slow, but improving his speed might be the decisive change that enables playing at the highest level. He's got the hands and the IQ, but at his size he needs to find a way to avoid getting stuck in traffic.

If I had to pick a RHD it would be Lindstrom as he didn't get beat too much and had some good passes.
I don't think Lindström played today? He was on the lineup sheet, but at least I didn't see him on the ice...?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Besides the obvious guys, I thought Regula made some nice plays early in the game. Setkov was quite active offensively all game long, carried the puck through the neutral zone several times. He's huge too, even looked like an inch+ taller than Rasmussen when they we're side by side in the frame. Holway made some good plays too, and one nice defensive play where he caught Veleno on a semi-breakaway and got a stick in front of the shot. Fulcher made some good saves.

Hope they have broadcasts like this for the prospect tournament too!

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
From what I've seen of him, he's a good and creative passer and definitely more of a playmaker than scorer. Dangerous on the PP, ran Ässät's PP this past season from the half wall and scored about half his points on the PP too (mostly assists).

He does also like to shoot the puck but while his wrister is accurate and he takes smart shots, it seems to lack power and therefore isn't often a huge threat. If he can improve that, it would probably make his offensive game even more stronger. His skating speed is another thing I think could make a huge difference if improved. He's certainly not slow, but improving his speed might be the decisive change that enables playing at the highest level. He's got the hands and the IQ, but at his size he needs to find a way to avoid getting stuck in traffic.

I don't think Lindström played today? He was on the lineup sheet, but at least I didn't see him on the ice...?
Hmm maybe I was confusing someone else with him. I could have sworn I saw his name on one of the jerseys, but I don't have a good handle on everyone's number yet.

Concerning Kivenmaki I had just read that his passing and use of his teammates is lacking, but your description here is more in line with his play today.

Reactions: ChadS

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018

Rasmussen: he got a tip goal, but was generally unnoticeable besides that. That's his game. He went to the front of the net and you could see why he produces well from there, he's a force in front and always looking for tips and rebounds. Didn't create many opportunities and I was a little dismayed by his lack of backcheck and skating. He was generally behind the play coming back. Zadina contributed more defensively despite Rasmussen's reputation.

Sweet, thanks for the write up. Really encouraging news about Veleno and especially Berggren. I'm liking those 2 picks more and more. Kivenmaki sounds really intriguing as well, for such a late pick you gotta love that potential upside if he can put on some weight. Was hoping to hear that Cholowski and Rasmussen were more dominant, but I guess they both play a more under-the-radar style and still have training camp and the prospects tournament to put on a good showing.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
aXywt6g.gif

F6XiHq3.gif

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Little worried about Rasmussen. He did not stand out today like I was hoping, especially for a player trying to showcase his ability to make the pros next season. Some brutal turn overs, and slow to backcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad