Development Camp 2019

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just watched the replay on YT. The Russians looked pretty good. I seem to remember reading some poster throwing shade at Popugaev, and I'm not sure why. I agree with Amanda that he looked pretty effective / good out there. Also thought Maltsev showed some savvy out there, as well. Vukojevic stood out for me, too.

On team White, it was Graeme Clarke I noticed in a positive way.
Pop's has bounced all over the place in recent years, so there is some thought that his game had been completely unsettled because of that. So last year in Bing maybe he wasn't showing what he could do, especially on a really bad team.

But speed, and probably work ethic(though that could be linked, in part, to the above concern) have been the more prominent on ice concerns.

I haven't watched the scrimmage yet, nor did I see any games in Bing, but watching some juniors tapes I had thought his game had that Joe Thorton playmaking element to it. More of a cerebral perimeter game, then a hard driving attack the net game.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Aside from Ty Smith & Reilly Walsh, who did everyone think the best Dman prospect was? I was really impressed by Vukojevic and McCarthy.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I thought goaltender Cole Brady was terrible at this camp.
What were you expecting? He played in the NAHL last year and stepped into a development camp with a handful of guys with NHL experience plus Boqvist and Hughes. It would have been incredible if he didn't look out of place.

Maybe Ray and company liked his mental makeup and size, but he's a long term project.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
What were you expecting? He played in the NAHL last year and stepped into a development camp with a handful of guys with NHL experience plus Boqvist and Hughes. It would have been incredible if he didn't look out of place.

Maybe Ray and company liked his mental makeup and size, but he's a long term project.

I was expecting him to be the worst goaltender at the camp, but I didn't think he was going to be THAT much worse than Cormier. Cormier was miles better.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I was expecting him to be the worst goaltender at the camp, but I didn't think he was going to be THAT much worse than Cormier. Cormier was miles better.
Cormier split last season between the coast and AHL. Half the shooters Brady was facing won't sniff NCAA hockey, let alone any level of pro hockey.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Let me know if I’m being greedy but can you at least mention times of goals scored? Hughes in particular?

Just pull the slider on the time bar until you see celebrations. That's what I did, anyway.

Anyway, I love how Jack knew what Vukojevic was gonna do in the shootout. And how Case McCarthy thought it was illegal :laugh:

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The first post of the thread has the roster. Unless by summary you mean how guys did?

I watched a big chunk of the game last night, and I really question the wisdom of making too much out of anyone's performance in that game. For example, I think a guy like Popugaev probably benefits from that format (no real checking, toned down physical play) vs. a guy like Seney who's a small scoring forward but made the big leagues through tenacious play.

So am I happy that Boqvist looked great out there? Am I happy that McLeod had some real nice shifts? Yeah. But I wouldn't read anything into it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Have to say that while the camera angles were lousy, the rest of the production was excellent. For a summer prospects scrimmage they really did a good job.

That said, they do need to find a better spot to put the cameras.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I watched a big chunk of the game last night, and I really question the wisdom of making too much out of anyone's performance in that game. For example, I think a guy like Popugaev probably benefits from that format (no real checking, toned down physical play) vs. a guy like Seney who's a small scoring forward but made the big leagues through tenacious play.

So am I happy that Boqvist looked great out there? Am I happy that McLeod had some real nice shifts? Yeah. But I wouldn't read anything into it.
I thought Pop's benefitted because he was playing harder then the rest of the guys. Evident by his celly, he cared. Which is fine by me, him upping the energy level is key to him developing. I see it as a good sign.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->