Prospect Info: Development Camp - 2018

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I didn't doubt that for a second.

Speaking of Hall of Famers, or guys standing out, I won't forget seeing Simmonds at rookie camp, beating the snot out of some Ducks rookie. Even though he looked wiry, that memory stood out. Of course, back then fights were aplenty during scrimmages as guys tried to stand out. I also remember Teubert trying to run roughshod on rookies, probably thought in his head that he was a throwback to the days of Marty McSorley or Bryan Marchment, except he sucked.

Reactions: King Trouty

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Good stuff from Rosen and Zach Dooley. Loved the JAD interview. Sounds like a mature pro. Kings are so lucky to get JAD and Thomas in the 2nd rounds these past 2 drafts.
Both may top 100 points this coming season...would not be shocked for JAD to be one of the last cuts. Too bad he can't play in Ontario, AHL. Probably would be the ideal place for him.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vilardi said in his interview he's rehabing his back.

What's the deal? Did he reinjure it? Or is he still not full recovered from the initial injury last year?

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Vilardi said in his interview he's rehabing his back.

What's the deal? Did he reinjure it? Or is he still not full recovered from the initial injury last year?

Where did he say this ? I understood it as he was rehabbing last year that’s why he’s more familiar with the Kings this year

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Where did he say this ? I understood it as he was rehabbing last year that’s why he’s more familiar with the Kings this year
Here's the quote: "I’m here for most of the summer. I’ve been here for a month now and was doing my rehab for my back, as well, keeping that going and trying to stay on top of that."

I'm not sure if he means now or last year.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Here's the quote: "I’m here for most of the summer. I’ve been here for a month now and was doing my rehab for my back, as well, keeping that going and trying to stay on top of that."

I'm not sure if he means now or last year.

Pretty sure he was referring to last year when he was out for that while. He was here in LA during that time he was out.

Jun 30, 2006
Man that was tough to read. Nothing personal against Hammond but he didn't know crap about the game or how to evaluate players. Rosen knows much more bout the game.

True, all you have to do is look at his take on Teubert.

But Hammond was a source of info in those days. Nobody really covered the Kings on a daily basis.

Reactions: kilowatt

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's funny reading Hammond's comments on what a strong skater Teubert was. I remember someone telling me he looked like an NHLer with his skating ability as an 18 year-old.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's funny reading Hammond's comments on what a strong skater Teubert was. I remember someone telling me he looked like an NHLer with his skating ability as an 18 year-old.

It’s even funnier when you look up what they said about Keaton Ellerby and his skating ability. Hell, Forbort and McNabb as well, but we all know they’re not fleet of foot.

Teubert and McIlrath both appear to be cut from the same cloth, sharing similar scouting reports, and both busted magnificently. You also look at guys like Luke Schenn and Zach Bogosian and wonder where the hell did things go wrong for those two?

Another name making headlines who never lived up to his top pairing billing is Jack Johnson. I guess some things like instincts and smarts has to come naturally, and it didn’t for most of these guys who failed to live up to expectations.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
So these are some of my observations from watching the 3:30 scrimmage and some drills before and after.

JAD- he flew out there, nice quick hands to go with his seeming to always being in the right spot at the right time. You can definitely see that’s he’s coming along quite nicely.
Vilardi- his skating isn’t as polished as some of the others but it didn’t keep him from keeping up with the play. He has nice soft hands and an IQ for the game. Nice passes and nice steals.
Eyssimount- his skating and his shot stood out to me, but it also helps he’s a little older than the rest.

JAD/Vilardi/Eyssimount were one line and you could see the talent level compared to the others. They had lots of offensive zone time and 2 goals. (Both by JAD)

Kupari- is lightning fast and made some good passes. He also seemed timid out there, defered to his linemates a lot.

Thomas- solid, quick. Had some nice plays along the boards but didn’t have any chemistry with his linemates so his lines offense seem to be flat.

Elynuk- what you expected for an older prospect. Big, little more polished, little slower but I can see him getting a contract and going to Ontario.

Clague- sleek skating and nice first passes. They did a slap shot drill for the defense after and Clague kept wristing it and had to be told to slap it 3 times. When he did there wasn’t much on it, so expect to see more wrist shots from the point with him.

Anderson- didn’t really notice him till 4 on 4. He carried the puck a lot more up the ice and was quick and assertive.

Hutts and Phillips- didn’t seem to notice them much, was hard focusing on all the players.

Strand- didn’t stick out good or bad till the drills and noticed he has a heck of a shot. Nice and hard.

And one final bit of information. My buddy and ended up having all the coaches and Futa sitting around us. My friend leaned over and asked Futa about Voynov. Futa said,

-shame, he’s a nice kid. We’ve delt with him a lot and the Voynovs have been working on their marriage

-he will be back in the NHL and expects the NHL to punish him even more. Didn’t understand why he’d be punished more if he’s fulfilled his debt to society

-he will not be back with the Kings, they feel it’s just too difficult

Take that for what you will.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for your review!

I think it's just as well that they deal Voynov's rights for a few reasons...and 2 of them are that he would cost too much and the other is that
he was a little lax on being aggressive the last year or year+ here and that was 4 YEARS AGO. If anything, those tendencies have
gotten worse, not better, with 3 years in the KHL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thanks for your review!

I think it's just as well that they deal Voynov's rights for a few reasons...and 2 of them are that he would cost too much and the other is that
he was a little lax on being aggressive the last year or year+ here and that was 4 YEARS AGO. If anything, those tendencies have
gotten worse, not better, with 3 years in the KHL.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Looks like Mark Rassell isn't being mentioned in anybody's reviews. Oh well. I guess a 50-goal season in the WHL doesn't really translate into anything special for an NHL development camp.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
JAD seems to be getting rave reviews. I could see him getting some NHL games if he has a great camp.

I don't see that as likely at all. No space on the roster. And he struggled at times last year in the AHL, especially in the playoffs. Great compete level. He'll likey be an NHLer. Just not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad