Development Camp 2018

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
HF fave Big Logan Stanley has put in some hours on the ice I think. Looking noticeably quicker than what I saw in the playoffs

With Stanley's attitude, physical gifts, and notably hard work ethic, I'm not suprised at all suprised he's skating better

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
With Stanley's attitude, physical gifts, and notably hard work ethic, I'm not suprised at all suprised he's skating better
assuming myers and buff would be big motivators to help with his skating, not sure if they had similar issues when they were younger. this is where a good development system can really help.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I believe he's been linked to the Canucks. Maybe he's there right now?

That's what I heard as well. Just wondering if we offered him a spot too (I should have worded that post better). Maybe better opportunity to get to play in Vancouver.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think interest is down because the prospects aren’t as good. I just think many fans are in a different head space this year. It’s pretty remarkable how different the off season is when your team has gone on a decent run the year before. In previous years (including the one other PO appearance which ended quickly) we’d have had about 6 more weeks without hockey. We’d have been following all the stuff that non-playoff team’s fan bases latch onto in order to generate excitement in the off season. The international tourneys, the draft, all the free agent stuff, and dev camp. This year? It feels like the season just ended yesterday! It’s such a difference...there just isn’t the same desperate craving for anything related to hockey this year that there has been in the past. Afaic, that’s a good thing. It’s all part of having a contender instead of an also-ran for a hockey team. Hopefully, it’s something we all will get used to over the next few years...:nod:

Also, there’s no sense of desperation right now as far as prospects go. Our team is pretty stacked...we aren’t in need of one of these guys to make the team pronto because we have some big hole to fill. There’s no sense of panic...

Good post - but also ...... The prospects aren't as good.

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
My three stars for Friday’s scrimmage are:
Stanley...Great Skater......Great Size.
Samberg...Smart...Good Size....Can Skate.
Appleton.....Great with the puck...He stands out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My three stars for Friday’s scrimmage are:
Stanley...Great Skater......Great Size.
Samberg...Smart...Good Size....Can Skate.
Appleton.....Great with the puck...He stands out.

Somebody posted that Stanley's skating has improved - but all the way from .... really bad to great in just a few weeks? That is some work ethic! :)

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Somebody posted that Stanley's skating has improved - but all the way from .... really bad to great in just a few weeks? That is some work ethic! :)
did have knee surgery this past season before playoffs. it has been a few weeks since playoffs so time to get used to the new knee.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some quick, random notes on today's camp -- I was shepherding a gang of kids so my attention was less than focused, although I deputized some of the keener ones to keep game sheets with them as they watched, so some of these thoughts are group efforts.

- There was the usual gap between top prospects, those with pro experience and the new invites. At the top, Appleton, Samberg, Spacek were very good, and Reichel looks like a nice pickup for the Moose. Samberg has it all, first step, vision, positioning, awareness and size -- he already looks more polished than last year, and I think he'll be a very good player for the Jets if his development continues apace. Vesa looked good in short bursts but was obviously playing through something, and I didn't see much of him in the scrimmage (think he was only out for the first bit, but could be wrong)

- A tier below that at this point are Green, Stanley, Suess, and Gawanke (in no order). Green looked stronger than last time I watched him, and more polished, made some nice reads in the drill and scrimmage, and Suess is quick and smart, but was muscled off the puck a few times. I really like Gawanke's game -- he reminds me a but of vintage Enstrom in his positioning and skating, and broke up a ton of plays with his anticipation and stickwork.

- Now for Stanley. I've watched him a lot, and have thought for a while that he's one of those players who makes more sense in-person than on a screen. He's still awkward, but his foot-speed looks noticeably better, and while he's never going to be agile, his transitions and edge work were the best I've seen from him. His awareness and passing have always been strengths, in some zones at least, and he made several smart plays from the point in the scrimmage, one of which set up a goal. He may never hit his potential, whatever that is, but watching him today made it easier to see what the Jets' scouts saw in him lo those many years ago, and I think he's closer than his rep here suggests

- David G is an awkward skater but his D positioning was very good and he made some good quick plays and gave up the puck several times also -- spent quite a bit of time chatting to Vesa, so has some international relations skills to go with his on-ice ones. My son really like his play -- picked him and Spacek as future Jets

- Harkins still looks to me like he's coming off an injury, seemed to run out of gas and looked slow to react in a way I didn't notice last time I saw him play

- Of the players I knew nothing about, Quinn Preston looked good in both the drills and the scrimmage -- quick, good reads and a wicked shot. Muller and Maier both looked decent and Lee too, and I can see why they took Wong where they did -- he's aggressive but smart in reading the play, and has a good shot

- Nothing on the goalies, though Berdin nearly gave up a goal to come out and clear his own crease at one point -- can see him kicking off some board meltdowns in years to come

- I get that this is a less blue-chippy prospect crop than in previous years, but there are some exciting players still in the pipeline, and plenty of reason still to pay attention to the Jets-in-waiting.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

He was really moving out there, and had better lateral and transitional mobility than I've seen from him before, as well as a quicker first step and smoother stride more generally. My family are figure skaters (as was I, during my hockey years) so I tend to pay attention to that part of the game, and while he's still awkward at times, there's no way I'd describe him as "really bad" at this point. He looked like Coffey next to DG, for example.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
did have knee surgery this past season before playoffs. it has been a few weeks since playoffs so time to get used to the new knee.

Well, I hope that accounts for a huge improvement because that is what he needed. There are some other kinks in his game, but they can probably be coached out, if he has the agility on his skates to allow him to keep up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was really moving out there, and had better lateral and transitional mobility than I've seen from him before, as well as a quicker first step and smoother stride more generally. My family are figure skaters (as was I, during my hockey years) so I tend to pay attention to that part of the game, and while he's still awkward at times, there's no way I'd describe him as "really bad" at this point. He looked like Coffey next to DG, for example.

All good. Pylonitis was his greatest weakness so maybe there is hope for him yet. I would be happy to eat a big plate of crow if he turns out well.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
All good. Pylonitis was his greatest weakness so maybe there is hope for him yet. I would be happy to eat a big plate of crow if he turns out well.

Oh, no need for that in my book -- he's a polarizing player for good reason, and in the past has been actively painful to watch. But he has some great tools -- heavy shot, good instincts in the o-zone, that crazy reach -- and seems a whole closer to being a viable player than the last few times I've watched him. To my eyes, anyway.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some quick, random notes on today's camp -- I was shepherding a gang of kids so my attention was less than focused, although I deputized some of the keener ones to keep game sheets with them as they watched, so some of these thoughts are group efforts.

- There was the usual gap between top prospects, those with pro experience and the new invites. At the top, Appleton, Samberg, Spacek were very good, and Reichel looks like a nice pickup for the Moose. Samberg has it all, first step, vision, positioning, awareness and size -- he already looks more polished than last year, and I think he'll be a very good player for the Jets if his development continues apace. Vesa looked good in short bursts but was obviously playing through something, and I didn't see much of him in the scrimmage (think he was only out for the first bit, but could be wrong)

- A tier below that at this point are Green, Stanley, Suess, and Gawanke (in no order). Green looked stronger than last time I watched him, and more polished, made some nice reads in the drill and scrimmage, and Suess is quick and smart, but was muscled off the puck a few times. I really like Gawanke's game -- he reminds me a but of vintage Enstrom in his positioning and skating, and broke up a ton of plays with his anticipation and stickwork.

- Now for Stanley. I've watched him a lot, and have thought for a while that he's one of those players who makes more sense in-person than on a screen. He's still awkward, but his foot-speed looks noticeably better, and while he's never going to be agile, his transitions and edge work were the best I've seen from him. His awareness and passing have always been strengths, in some zones at least, and he made several smart plays from the point in the scrimmage, one of which set up a goal. He may never hit his potential, whatever that is, but watching him today made it easier to see what the Jets' scouts saw in him lo those many years ago, and I think he's closer than his rep here suggests

- David G is an awkward skater but his D positioning was very good and he made some good quick plays and gave up the puck several times also -- spent quite a bit of time chatting to Vesa, so has some international relations skills to go with his on-ice ones. My son really like his play -- picked him and Spacek as future Jets

- Harkins still looks to me like he's coming off an injury, seemed to run out of gas and looked slow to react in a way I didn't notice last time I saw him play

- Of the players I knew nothing about, Quinn Preston looked good in both the drills and the scrimmage -- quick, good reads and a wicked shot. Muller and Maier both looked decent and Lee too, and I can see why they took Wong where they did -- he's aggressive but smart in reading the play, and has a good shot

- Nothing on the goalies, though Berdin nearly gave up a goal to come out and clear his own crease at one point -- can see him kicking off some board meltdowns in years to come

- I get that this is a less blue-chippy prospect crop than in previous years, but there are some exciting players still in the pipeline, and plenty of reason still to pay attention to the Jets-in-waiting.
Thanks for sharing these observations. Much appreciated. Great to hear the positive notes about Samberg. I have high hopes that he'll be a bona fide top 4 D.

Interesting report on Stanley. He's obviously a real project, but he seems to have the work ethic to continue to improve. If he continues to work on his footwork and quickness, I think he could have a future. He's always been relatively good with the puck.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My thoughts:

The the day was broken down into a session of drills and then two 10 minute periods of running time scrimmages.

Noticeable absences from the drills where Mckenzie and Smith. Vesalainen only took part in the drills and was absent from the scrimmage.

Standouts:

Team White:

Green: His elite skating was on display all game. He showed some excellent hands, puck control and a great shot. As JetsUK indicated he showed more poise with the puck and was making better decisions. He still needs to work a bit on his board work in his own end but the kid has excellent tools. I am excited to see how he does next season.

Harkins: I paid a lot of attention to him, unlike JetsUK I thought he had a very good showing (better than Spacek imo). He had his motor running and was all over the puck all practice and scrimmage. He scored a tap in but could have easily had 4. Skating is noticeably better and was winning races and beating players wide with speed. Imo he looked like someone who had something to prove out there and he likely does after last year. I thought he also carried the puck with purpose through the NZ. If he comes into camp with that same chip on his shoulder I think he rebounds and has a good year.

Kovacevic: Real nice mobility and all around play, he showed good offensive and defensive skill. Was making smart breakouts and made a great pass to Harkins on his goal in the scrimmage. I don't know how high is upside is but I believe he could easily play pro next season. Still one of my dark horse prospects.

Spacek: Silky smooth hands with nice wheels. He made some really nice plays with the puck and passes in the drills. However I thought he was trying to do too much and skate through everyone at times. He also wasn't really noticeable in the scrimmage.

Wong: The kid has a nice motor and was involved in the play all practice and game. He isn't afraid to go into the boards against anyone. He also seems to read the play well and posses a solid set of all around skill. He is one to keep and eye on.

Vesalainen: Great skater who protects the puck really well. He was very good in the drills and worked really well with Green and Harkins. I don't think he will take that long to adapt to NA.

Gustafsson: Works hard and was positionally solid on defense. He was a step behind at times and will need some work before he is ready.

Vallati: Did well in the puck movement drills and was ok in the scrimmage. His skating is really good and he is a solid puck mover, but his hands seem average and he was a bit indecisive when it comes to attacking with the puck. Some tools but a lot of polish is needed.

Team Blue:

Appleton: Excellent all around play. Really controlled the puck when he was on the ice and looks like he isn't far away from the NHL.

Samberg: He was a beast in his own end with his speed, positioning and strength. He also displayed nice poise with the puck in his own end. He moved it smartly out of his end and through the nz. I didn't notice him much offensively but he has a great foundation to build on. One more year of college and he will be ready for pro duty.

Stanley: His shot is a weapon. He displays the ability to get it off quickly and on net with some major zip. His skating does look better but he still is a tier below most of the other players he was on the ice with (Jets are assembling a really mobile group of dmen). He moves the puck tape to tape if given time. I found he still has very slow feet and takes a while to make decisions with the puck in his own end. He would get the puck, glide while looking for an outlook and then make the pass. To be fair there wasn't much of a fore check today so it wasn't an issue, but he won't be able to get away with taking his time like that on the Moose this fall. It will be interesting to see how he operates in his end under pressure as a pro. All in all he looked much better than last year.

Chisholm: I thought he was better then Vallati, displayed the same mobility but had smoother hands and seemed more decisive and in control of his game. He displayed a lot of poise and good puck movement. He also showed good reads and instincts defensively as he broke up a number of dangerous plays. I am pretty intrigued by what he will do next year. I think there might be a player here.

C.J. Suess: Showed good hands and speed but wasn't really all that noticeable. As mentioned he didn't seem strong enough on the puck. Given how much older he is then everyone else there I was expecting more. I don't see much of an NHL future here.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015

David Gustafsson? Is he not a good skater right now?

Edit: Sorry, I just read your post saying he was awkward, is he that much worse than Stanley?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Good post - but also ...... The prospects aren't as good.

well yeah, but they'd be better if last season hadn't gone so well (we'd likely have had a first round pick) and there'd be much more focus and attention since anticipation would be building an extra 6 weeks. So it comes down to the same notion - success changes things.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
David Gustafsson? Is he not a good skater right now?

Edit: Sorry, I just read your post saying he was awkward, is he that much worse than Stanley?

I thought his skating wasn’t great — choppy stride, not super-efficient, over and under-skated quite a bit. Nothing that can’t be worked on.

Reactions: Moon Man

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
On Stanley, the jets scouts choose winners its what they do. Onside note in mtl these girls walking around are rockets sweet baby jesus

Reactions: Pongs21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->