Developing your slap shot

BRONX_MADNESS*

Try switching the position of your lower hand on your stick, rule of thumb is place that hand where it is comfortable and has good flex in the stick, and point to the target in your follow through, practice makes perfect

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Yeah my accuracy is nice one day and terrible the next. I've tried switching my hand position but it takes away a lot from the velocity because it's not as comfortable. Then again I dont' get to play much (like once a week) so I don't have much time to practice.

I hear when you take a slapshot it's similar to a wrist shot as where you point your stick on the follow through is basically where the shot goes. Unfortunately that's hard when you're putting so much power into your shot. Then again we also have Pros who can't hit the net if their lives depended on it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah my accuracy is nice one day and terrible the next. I've tried switching my hand position but it takes away a lot from the velocity because it's not as comfortable. Then again I dont' get to play much (like once a week) so I don't have much time to practice.

I hear when you take a slapshot it's similar to a wrist shot as where you point your stick on the follow through is basically where the shot goes. Unfortunately that's hard when you're putting so much power into your shot. Then again we also have Pros who can't hit the net if their lives depended on it.

You need to transfer all of your weight onto your front skate/foot and on the follow through turn the blade over to keep it low and hard.

Learning how to do this will help you control your accuracy and not put the puck in the stands.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
You need to transfer all of your weight onto your front skate/foot and on the follow through turn the blade over to keep it low and hard.

Learning how to do this will help you control your accuracy and not put the puck in the stands.

I don't use the slapshot so take this advice for what it's worth --
Like practicing your golf swing you need to be mindful of every part of your swing and be able to repeat it over and over.
- Make sure your grip is strong so the blade doesn't turn when it hits the ice.
- Make sure your arms don't move during the swing--lock them at your sides and pivot at the waist. Once you get more proficient you can extend your lower hand and pull your top hand back during the follow through.
- Know where the puck should be in relation to your body.
- Check your feet.

Don't be afraid to take slow swings so your body gets used to the movement. Work out the bugs and then build muscle memory. Make sure the arc of your swing is consistent and then gradually add the power.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Don't use all your strength when you shoot. Gradually increase it as you get comfortable.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
You just have to go out there and work on it. I had no slapshot at the beginning of last summer, but an hour a day on the rink just slapping it fixed that. Now I have a laser.

Crosby87.*

Go in your garage and fire pucks at a big peice of wood everyday :P

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Seeing how you are working on the shot it is a good time to train yourself not to take a hugh backswing. Should only bring the stick about waist high to get the shot off quicker. You all too often see kids learning to take the shot bring the stick up like it is a golf club. Takes to much time.

dkich96

Sep 21, 2006
don't hit the puck dead on... hit the ice surface approx .25 inches before the puck, that allows for your stick to flex and your follow through to the puck has greater power.... I have to agree with Puckboy, don't raise you stick too high when you are prepping to let go of the shot... Lastly, follow through on the shot where your stick aims directly like a gun to the location of where you want the puck to go...

Practice makes perfect... line up a few pucks in a row and let them go... start stationary and as you develop the shot then practice skating into the shot (don't forget to shift your weight)

Operation Hedera

Sep 9, 2006
connecticut
Ummm... the biggest error most players make with the slapshot is that they don't pick their head up while they shoot. For wrist shots and snappers you don't have to look down so much because you can feel the puck on your stick. With slapshots, you can't feel the puck on your stick. As a result most players glance up to see where the net is before they wind up, then look down at the puck.

Instead, work on shooting with your head up. It's fairly hard at first, because it feels like you're going to miss the puck every time. It's especially hard when skating and shooting at the same time, so you need to skate into the puck before you shoot.

With some practice you should get it. Also, with a lot of repitition, accuracy improves as your muscle memory develops.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Some people say to be sure to make a "snap" motion with your wrists. And that rolling them down or up is a preference. I don't understand the rolling down so much as it just feels weird. But I'm not gonna lie, it keeps the shots down. And of course the reverse in snapping them up. Someone else might better be able to explain this.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Get a composite stick. On TV they make it sound like they break all the time, but that's bs. The only reason why that happens so much is because the guys taking the shots are putting so much power into their shot that eventually it snaps. I doubt very few guys here if any at all are as strong as an NHL player.

I used to snap wood sticks like they were nothing. Ever since I've gotten my composite sticks they haven't even broken at all. I think the cheap one I had may have broken, but that was a $30 stick. If you spend $70 (shaft plus $30 - 50 for blade) or more you'll get something that will last for quite some time. In the end it runs cheaper to spend $150 on a composite stick than to keep buying wood sticks that keep snaping. I've had my two composites for close to a year now and they are just chipped a bit, but still running great. The flex lasts longer in your composites and to me they don't break as easily. A wood stick breaks like nothing and you'll end up spending more replacing your woods than buying one composite.

Also, I use an 85 flex and I'm 5'8" 160 lbs. (normal) and I never have any problems with the low flex.

From the way I understand it, if you're using a 100 flex stick (Stiff) then you should be at least between 175 and 200 lbs. unless you are really strong for your weight. If you're over 200 then you can try to go for the 110 flex (Extra Stiff). Anything less than 175 you should be using an 85 flex (Regular).

I've also read that you should take your flex on about half your weight so take that for what it's worth. 160 lbs. = 80 flex.

Either way it's about how much strength you put into your shot. If you are strong (strong legs and upper body), then you will be able to put more into your shot.
If you have good form where you use your whole body into the shot, then you'll be able to put more into your shot.
If you're one of those guys who doesn't transfer any weight from your lower body into your shot and you just shoot with your upper body, you're not going to have as much strength in your shot no matter how strong your upper body is.

Last edited:

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
I just wondered how to develop a slap shot.
My wrister is accurate and hard, my slapper is fast but I couldn`t hit a barn door (literally). Does someone know any way to develop that accuracy with the slapper?

strengthen the middle of your body abs, "midline muscles," obliques etc

of course, make sure your shot mechanics are sound too

Muttley*

strengthen the middle of your body abs, "midline muscles," obliques etc

^^^ what they said ^^^

Develop your "core" which is your torso, abs, obliques hips, ets. Power comes from your core, not your arms, as it's generated by you properly transfering the weight from your thighs as you wind up. This is why you see those skinny, scrawny 135 lb. kids shooting so hard.

Also don't listen to those people who say to just develop your biceps. That's only like 25% of it.

The New York Times had a write up of the mechanics of power in slap shots and interviewed Sheldon Souray. Say what you want about his defensive play, but he has one of the most powerful shots in the league. His key to success? Concentrating on his core as he perfectly transfers and balances his weight from core/hips through his windup to his actual shot. He didn't mention anything about his arms. :sarcasm: Of course he works out with personal trainers etc who have him concentrate on working his core by using pilates, those big plastic balls, elastic threads etc.

It's nice to be rich and have a personal tranier telling you what to do and what to eat, eh? ;)

bmxer

Apr 14, 2004
Finland
Follow through with your stick and LOOK WHERE YOU'RE SHOOTING.
Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad