News Article: Devcore is willing

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Tube ain't super reliable. And that's not just my anecdotal experience. In Europe, I'd say Berlin, Paris and Vienna definitely have it beat.

But any mid-size European city is going to beat out 99% of what you see in NA, so don't worry. NYC has great coverage, but the MTA has a horrible rep for good reason.
I wasn’t a fan of Paris transit. I needed to use the bus a lot since the metro and RER coverage was limited. I found Berlin shockingly unreliable. I haven’t used transit in Vienna. The one thing I will say is that Europe does not care about accessibility on their transit systems.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't. Just going on numbers mentioned although someone mentioned 11k an hour earlier

Here's the official release:

August 2, 2017
Ready for Rail: How Many Will It Carry?

The O-Train Confederation Line will provide an effective and efficient public transit service that will allow more people to travel more quickly across the city.
There will be 17 trains servicing the Confederation Line, each made up of two Alstom Citadis Spirit cars that will be able to accommodate up to 600 passengers in quiet comfort – 240 seated and 360 standing. This means that the Confederation Line will be able to carry up to 10,700 passengers per hour, each way!
The Confederation Line will operate on a dedicated light rail corridor, including a 2.5-km tunnel downtown, which means that service will not be affected by traffic, bad weather or traffic lights. Service will be efficient and reliable for customers, with trains arriving every 5 minutes or less at peak times, frequently throughout the day and every 15 minutes or less after midnight and during some weekend time periods.
The trains will operate quietly both inside and out, offering a comfortable ride, and be easily accessed by 14 double doors per each side of the train. There will also be long, spacious platforms at the stations. All of this will make for quick and easy boarding and disembarking, even during peak rush hour periods.
For more information on the O-Train Confederation Line, please visit OC Transpo’s new “Ready for Rail” web section at www.octranspo.com/ready4rail or contact OC Transpo at 613-741-4390.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Was in Paris last week and the metro is probably the simplest I have been on.

It certainly helps when:
- your city invested in subways before the cost of labour and construction exploded
- your city is densely populated
- your city is planned in circular arrondissements
- your city is not built on top of either significant depths of limestone/shale/sandstone bedrock, or a literal swamp, or both.

It's a really good system, but unfortunately due to circumstances and geography not replicable whatsoever.

Last edited:

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
A lot of people in here are willfully keeping their heads in the sand as to how this city works.

We aren't going to magically turn into Montreal, Toronto or NYC because we build a stadium downtown. It will take a long time before the culture in this city changes. Even with this LRT, it won't help anyone that isn't close to it.

Will it really save time for someone from Orleans if they need to drive to the LRT, wait for it and do that for up to an hour after the game? People will do it a few times and then get sick of it.

I don't think we are a big enough city to consistently sell out games with different people every night.

I'm not against building a stadium downtown, it is infinitely better than being in Kanata. Doesn't mean it won't have it's own problems however.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
A lot of people in here are willfully keeping their heads in the sand as to how this city works.

We aren't going to magically turn into Montreal, Toronto or NYC because we build a stadium downtown. It will take a long time before the culture in this city changes. Even with this LRT, it won't help anyone that isn't close to it.

Will it really save time for someone from Orleans if they need to drive to the LRT, wait for it and do that for up to an hour after the game? People will do it a few times and then get sick of it.

I don't think we are a big enough city to consistently sell out games with different people every night.

I'm not against building a stadium downtown, it is infinitely better than being in Kanata. Doesn't mean it won't have it's own problems however.
Ottawa's population is definitely large enough to sell out every night. The problem is that the majority of hockey fans in the city aren't Sens fans.

If all the Leaf, Hab, Bruin etc fans were Sens fans in Ottawa I don't think we'd have an attendance issue whatsoever

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If you need 15 trains and they are running every 6 minutes that means a 90 minute wait for some people. And that's assuming no one else is taking those trains. Who wants to wait over an hour at a jam packed train station?

Did you take into account that there are TWO trains, one in each direction,East and West, that arrive every 6 minutes, plus the South bound O Train (already running) and assume it's capacity and frequency will be on par with the (yet to be in service) LRT.
Don't forget there will be some commuter traffic that will head over to Gatineau as well.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Ottawa's population is definitely large enough to sell out every night. The problem is that the majority of hockey fans in the city aren't Sens fans.

If all the Leaf, Hab, Bruin etc fans were Sens fans in Ottawa I don't think we'd have an attendance issue whatsoever

Add it to the list of problems this team faces in order to sell tickets.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It can take me 90 minutes to get to work by bus. My office is 8 km from my home.

There must be a logical reason why you don't just walk to your office, during the months when the weather permits.

It takes a healthy person about 10 minutes to walk 1 kilometer, so if you could walk, you'd save the cost of Public transportation, and arrive to your office, pretty much in the same amount of time.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
There must be a logical reason why you don't just walk to your office, during the months when the weather permits.

It takes a healthy person about 10 minutes to walk 1 kilometer, so if you could walk, you'd save the cost of Public transportation, and arrive to your office, pretty much in the same amount of time.

I do walk, bike, occasionally run. So no, there's no logical reason for me not to. :rolleyes:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I’m curious what transit system is better than London. I obviosly haven’t tried them all and genuinely take transit into account when choosing where to travel.

I found München to have an excellent transit system, at least it was back in the 80s and 90s when I visited for Oktoberfest. Stayed at a small town about 35 mins away by rail, and when you arrived in the main Bahnhof, your train ticket was a valid transfer for the München public transit system for a few hours, until it expired.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

How do you explain the lansdowne success then? The 'culture' is already there people dont want to go to Kanata to see a team that isnt commited to winning. People in Ottawa love sporting events that are downtown with a transparent organization that is commited to the city.

This is not a culture issue its a bad owner with an arena in a bad location that was set up incredibly poorly on top of being a brutal place to go.

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Why did this suddenly get quiet... I don’t like it. Melnyk this is your que to sell. Now.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Did you take into account that there are TWO trains, one in each direction,East and West, that arrive every 6 minutes, plus the South bound O Train (already running) and assume it's capacity and frequency will be on par with the (yet to be in service) LRT.
Don't forget there will be some commuter traffic that will head over to Gatineau as well.

The math is pretty simple to figure out whether or not I took that into account - 15 * 600 = 9000, which is half of 18000.

Although I was curious about capacity for the Trillium Line and discovered that your numbers for the Confederation Lines trains were wrong. They have a capacity of 300, not 600 - Citadis Spirit - Wikipedia.

If you assume 4500 people each taking the four main transportation methods - train west, train south, train east, and car - then you're looking at a potential 15 * 6 = 90 minute wait for trains going east and west; much worse for the train south since it may have, at best, 9 minute headways. So a potential 2 hour wait going south.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
How do you explain the lansdowne success then? The 'culture' is already there people dont want to go to Kanata to see a team that isnt commited to winning. People in Ottawa love sporting events that are downtown with a transparent organization that is commited to the city.

This is not a culture issue its a bad owner with an arena in a bad location that was set up incredibly poorly on top of being a brutal place to go.

Minor league football is a novelty in the new stadium; just like minor league baseball was when the ballpark in Vanier was built. Football games are generally on the weekend in warm weather - people don't mind hanging out in bars on a Friday night in the summer. Will be a much different story for hockey on a Tuesday night in January.

People in Ottawa aren't loving downtown junior hockey. The 67's have a great team this year and are drawing pretty poor crowds.

Reactions: coladin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Although I was curious about capacity for the Trillium Line and discovered that your numbers for the Confederation Lines trains were wrong. They have a capacity of 300, not 600 - Citadis Spirit - Wikipedia.

"The trains usually will consist of two Citadis Spirit cars, but they are modular meaning more can be added to meet demand. At peak periods, a train will carry up to 600 passengers. "

How to use Ottawa's light rail transit in 2018 · OttawaStart.com

Do you not think that the LRT, will NOT add more train cars, when there is an event at an Arena located at Lebreton Flats?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
"The trains usually will consist of two Citadis Spirit cars, but they are modular meaning more can be added to meet demand. At peak periods, a train will carry up to 600 passengers. "

How to use Ottawa's light rail transit in 2018 · OttawaStart.com

Do you not think that the LRT, will NOT add more train cars, when there is an event at an Arena located at Lebreton Flats?

That website is wrong. Here's a video from OC Transpo stating that an expanded train will have a capacity of 370:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Minor league football is a novelty in the new stadium; just like minor league baseball was when the ballpark in Vanier was built. Football games are generally on the weekend in warm weather - people don't mind hanging out in bars on a Friday night in the summer. Will be a much different story for hockey on a Tuesday night in January.

People in Ottawa aren't loving downtown junior hockey. The 67's have a great team this year and are drawing pretty poor crowds.
So you dont think that attendance would increase with a downtown arena and commited ownership? Thats your argument?

I just want to get that clear before i start addressing the partially flawed argument in your post. While i dont think that you will see 15,000 head to restaurants and bars before/after a tuesday game in january like redblacks games the rest is innacurate and are horrible comparisons.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I always find it comical when people compare a CFL franchise with a whole 9 game commitment to an NHL franchise with games predominantly in winter and a 41 game commitment and at much higher prices.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016

People in Ottawa aren't loving downtown junior hockey. The 67's have a great team this year and are drawing pretty poor crowds

In terms of the 67s, they're firmly in the middle of the league attendance-wise.

They're drawing "poor crowds" if your point of comparison is the London Knights, but they have average attendance numbers relative to the OHL in general.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
In terms of the 67s, they're firmly in the middle of the league attendance-wise.

They're drawing "poor crowds" if your point of comparison is the London Knights, but they have average attendance numbers relative to the OHL in general.
Averaging 3000 a game with the best record. 800 less than last year, 20% lower including a free game weekend. Ottawa is inspired! Must be the location I guess...

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad