Player Discussion Devante Smith-Pelly

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
DSP definitely wins the honorary Druce on the Loose Award. Awarded to our player who best exemplifies playoff goal scoring above normal expectations. He probably started slow this season, rehabbing his way back from the offensively stiffing Devils system.

@ALLCAPSALLTHETIME nailed it early on.... Druce Smith-Pelly! Helluva playoff from Devo!

I may never forget, I am going to f***ing kill you!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
DSP has too much class to taunt those asshole fans who were yelling racist insults at him (in Chicago?), so I'll do it for him.

How you like DSP now, bitches????

Reactions: calicapsfan

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Playoffs was great.

Heres one of my favourite (propably the favourite) moment of regular season too:

Orpik in a freaking breakaway. Gets demolished. And DSP aint taking it!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
DSP definitely wins the honorary Druce on the Loose Award. Awarded to our player who best exemplifies playoff goal scoring above normal expectations. He probably started slow this season, rehabbing his way back from the offensively stiffing Devils system.

@ALLCAPSALLTHETIME nailed it early on.... Druce Smith-Pelly! Helluva playoff from Devo!

I may never forget, I am going to ****ing kill you!

As I noted in the playoff/GDT or whatever, DSP scored in each of the last 3 Final games and a bunch of huge tying or GWG in the playoffs.

If any other star did that they'd be national heroes, especially in Canada. People STILL talk about Dougie Gilmour's playoffs in 93 and all the big goals he and Clark scored. DSP has him in ESG by one!

(I'm not saying they're the same guy...relax everyone)

Also worth noting that DSP's shooting % in the regular season was 6.8%. In the playoffs this year....24.1%.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Do playoff numbers factor in to arbitration cases? Or just regular season numbers?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Do playoff numbers factor in to arbitration cases? Or just regular season numbers?
Both are admissible. As is "the overall contribution of the Player to the competitive success or failure of his Club in the preceding season." But the really hard part will be finding comparables to draw upon.

Reactions: calicapsfan

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Caps have signed right wing Devante Smith-Pelly to a one-year, two-way contract ($650,000/$300,000). Was bought out by Devs.

The best we can hope for is that this is (more) AHL depth?
I’d say he did better than provide just AHL depth! Haha

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
True, but they could let him walk if the arb number is too high.

For some reason I just assumed he’d get a moderate raise like a 2 year contract at a bit over $1 mil per year

I’m starting to hear it maybe more that that and not sure I’d be comfy.

DSP became a locker room and fan favorite in addition to the goal scoring and whether we want to admit it or not there are demographic considerations that are at work too. Yates actually had a nice read on this. It would be a difficult decision

What kind of extension is on the high end of what you all would be comfortable with?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
What kind of extension is on the high end of what you all would be comfortable with?
Not sure what comps would be around the league, but this is a guy who performed in the loffs and fills a valuable role in the lineup. Takes some of the pressure for forward physical play off Willie. Without him I'm not sure who Caps have as a bottom 6 hitter. And as you note he adds a bit of diversity to the lineup.
Given all the variables in putting together a team that comes in under the cap, his value may be higher to a different team. For the Caps, I'd figure 2 yrs, about $2.6m total - maybe 1.3 per, maybe 1.25 and 1.35 but iirc cap hit is the same either way. If Beags departs ($1.75m in 2017-18) and is "replaced" by Little Stevie ($650k), you've got a bunch of $ to play with.

Reactions: RandyHolt

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
A cap hit of 1-1.5M sounds possible, but I think the more important question is who the Caps will decide to keep. Depending on how the higher-priority contracts play out, the Caps may have no problem paying DSP 1.75M as the last guy left, or they might not be able to pay him anything above the min.

As an RFA after a great SC run, I can also see him as a piece other teams might ask to sweeten the pot in a trade.

I think maybe early on the Caps might try to re-sign him on the cheap, say around 1M. If he says no, then I think he'll end up getting traded (for whatever), and the Caps will plan on filling that slot with a min. salary.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Playoffs was great.

Heres one of my favourite (propably the favourite) moment of regular season too:

Orpik in a freaking breakaway. Gets demolished. And DSP aint taking it!

Was Orpik actually trying to score there or just launching it into the 15th row for a fan souvenir?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we will end up in arbitration, but cap wise, can we afford to wait that long to know how space we will have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad