Devan Dubnyk or James Reimer?

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Thought I'd post this since both Dubbie and Reimer are headed to play for Canada at the World Championships.

Two young goaltenders who have both taken some time, but seem like they are ripening around the same time. They are shedding their "prospect" status at about the same time.

Dubnyk closed out the season playing really well for the Oilers, and most people know or Reimers accomplishments for the Leafs. Dubnyk is probably a little lesser known at this point. Just thought I'd ask which of the two you'd take for your team if you had the choice?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Reimer.

Dubnyk was really hyped going into his draft year. He was a big name goaltender at the time, but he disappointed for a while. Seems like he's salvaged a career in the NHL for himself. Good for him.

But Reimer is the superior goaltender.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Reimer... he stole games for leafs fans, and when he lets in a goal, he shakes it off and gets back into it.

His mentality aspects are unbelievable. Of course nobody wants to let in a goal, but he doesn't let it faze him.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Reimer.

I love Doobie, but Reimer has just shown more so far in their careers.

Doob's is a bit of a long term project type goalie, and he took a HUGE step this season, so potential is there, but so far, it's just potential.

Reimer has played great, and shown enough to make me pick him over Doobie.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Either or...

Riemer played really well for the Leafs, where as Dubnyk managed a .916% and 2.71 GAA playing on the leagues worst team.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Both played well, but Reimer has the edge mentally I think. Then again, I think he's mentally stronger then half the veteran starters in the league.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Dubnyk for me but it's close. I've been a Dubnyk fan for a few years now, it was nice to see him finish strong.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm interested to see if Reimer can keep up his play next year. No arguing that he played very well this year but he has some style issues that might get exploited a lot more next year and beyond. Dubnyk played very well for the Oilers but we have no idea if he can handle the load as the oilers kept trotting out Khabibulin a lot when he totally did not deserve to be playing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's a tough call.

They both seem to be very mentally strong guys.

Dubie has the edge in size, and probably athleticism. Reimer has the better technique, and a technical goalie with Francois Allaire is only going to get better.

Can I go with the secret third option, Braden Holtby? ;)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's a tough call.

Dubie has the edge in size, and probably athleticism. Reimer has the better technique, and a technical goalie with Francois Allaire is only going to get better.

I see it as totally the opposite. Dub has good technique and size. Reimers technique is what concerns me. He plays deep in his crease and is down on his knees very fast.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It's a tough call.

Anyone else notice that Reimer is 6 pounds heavier despite being 4 inches shorter:amazed:

zeus3007*

Dubnyk. His performance on the team with the worst defense not only of this year, but of recent memory pushes him slightly ahead. I also question whether or not Reimer just had a hot streak. I think Dubs has played consistently over the entire season, and while Reimer's highs were certainly higher, I'm not sold on him being that good long term. Really though, at this point, either one is fine with me.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
I`d like to see what Reimer can do for a full year before judging.

Although, Reimer has great stats (consistently) in any league he`s played in, and has a great mental game. But in all fairness, the last few games Reimer played, he wasn`t stellar.

Although, looking at this year, I`d probably put Reimer ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad