Player Discussion Devan Dubnyk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ah, I wondered what part of Brodin that goal went off. First I thought it was stick, then leg.

None of the goals was soft. I actually thought Doobs was noticeably good( not great) in net. The thing about those deflections is that both ended up in corners or just inside posts.. They didn't bounce through him.

I thought Quick was very good at times, but should've saved a couple. The White goal in particular, though a deflection, he should've had covered.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Haven't really seen this talked about at all, but the Wild franchise record is 37 wins. Dubnyk has 35 with 19 games to be played. All for a 3rd round pick and the 21st highest AAV for goalies in the league.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Haven't really seen this talked about at all, but the Wild franchise record is 37 wins. Dubnyk has 35 with 19 games to be played. All for a 3rd round pick and the 21st highest AAV for goalies in the league.
That's pretty gnar gnar

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dub was named NHL 3rd Star of the week.

THIRD STAR - DEVAN DUBNYK, G, MINNESOTA WILD
Dubnyk went 2-0-1 with a 1.96 goals-against average, .950 save percentage and one shutout to backstop the Wild (30-19-6, 66 points) to five out of a possible six standings points. He made 35 saves in a 6-2 victory against the St. Louis Blues Feb. 6. Dubnyk then turned aside 36 shots in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Arizona Coyotes Feb. 8. He capped the week with 44 saves, the second-most ever by a Wild goaltender in a shutout, in a 3-0 triumph over the Chicago Blackhawks Feb. 10. The 31-year-old Regina, Sask., native owns a 22-10-4 record with a 2.60 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and four shutouts in 38 appearances this season.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Decent. .914 is okay for a backup and I believe that he has done better than Kuemper ever did.

He's been serviceable. Done I guess what we've needed him to do, to some extent. Dubnyk has had his bad games but if I saw it right I think he's like 22-10 and something which has just been great. Some of those shutouts he's had he stood on his head too this season. If/when we win the Cup this year (lol) Dubnyk is the one who will get us to the Promised Land.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
If/when we win the Cup this year (lol) Dubnyk is the one who will get us to the Promised Land.
Considering the current situation of the league Duby is the only option in net as a #1G. Only option to get better/even goalie Wild would need to draft and hit a gold mine with it.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Disagree. Same as Kuemper except instead of being mentally fragile, Stalock throws away games by running around the rink
Stalock is at least more consistent. Kuemper's highs were high and lows were very low. Stalock is at least steady, which is all I care about for a backup.

Reactions: 57special

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Not even close. Average goaltender putting up decent numbers in a very good system
Yeah Ok my friend! Top 3 in all of most important goaltender statistics (wins, GAA, Shutouts) since his been on the Wild, Many times has bailed the Wild out

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pleased with both Stalock and Doobs. Love to see Stalock handle the puck. With both, they can let in a bad goal, but it doesn't affect their play afterwards. Kuemper...not so much.

Doobs is bad with the puck, and a bit slow side to side, but he's so big and eats rebounds when he's on.

Stalock is much faster. Because he's a smaller guy he has to be. He's pretty good limiting rebounds also.

Some people you just gotta ignore.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Disagree. Same as Kuemper except instead of being mentally fragile, Stalock throws away games by running around the rink
I really can't think of one game where Stalock has "thrown away" a game. Seems to me that he keeps us in most games and certainly lets up less soft goals than Dubnyk but that's just my assessment.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
dubnyk started the year kinda shakey but has really improved now that he has some competition from stalock. bout time we had a solid backup.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Not even close. Average goaltender putting up decent numbers in a very good system

He's not even close to average. We are paying him average pay for starter (I believe he was 16th out of starters when we re signed him) but we are getting out of him...especially as of late? He's been fantastic. He's on one of those Dubnyk runs we get used to every year now where he's....that guy.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Well that's not how you rank him. He has been one of the key reasons why the Wild haven't had to pray for a good goalie since Bäckström. Has been a Vezina contender and isn't even a shooting star. He came to Wild with a boom and kept the after shock in control.

With Wild:

Reg GP: 171
Avg. SV% - 92.o
Avg. GAA - 2.39

Average? Not by a country mile.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Since December 1:

Dubnyk:
Sv%age...928 (6th in the league among goalies with 15 games)
GAA......2.36 (5th in the league among goalies with 15 games)

Source: NHL advanced stats and the appropriate filters.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't know how much I trust the advanced analytics on goaltender stats, but they would agree with 2Pair.

They suggest few goalies have it easier than Dubnyk, because the Wild are the best team in the league at suppressing guality shots. So Dubnyk being average, leads to above average results with that system.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Recently I have felt like he's been responsible for the team getting a few more points rather than responsible for many/any of the points that they've lost out on. Dunno whether that puts him at average or above or what, but it seems good to me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
First things first, Dubnyk is doing his job. I'm not complaining one bit about how he is doing, especially the last moonth or so. My argument is simply with guys saying that he's the team MVP and so forth. Using team/system driven stats to try and disprove my statement that Dubnyk is "an average goalie putting up decent numbers in a very good system" is silly.

There are 36 goalies that have played 1000 minutes or more this season. Here is where Dubnyk ranks among those 36
XSV% 2nd (this is where he should be expected to rank in SV%)
SV% 8th - Not bad, but 6 spots lower than the numbers say he should be
DSV% 26th -well below average
LDSV% 31st -well below average
MDSV% 14th -slightly above average
HDSV% 11th - pretty good
GSAA 26th -well below average.

Last edited:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I don't know how much I trust the advanced analytics on goaltender stats, but they would agree with 2Pair.

They suggest few goalies have it easier than Dubnyk, because the Wild are the best team in the league at suppressing guality shots. So Dubnyk being average, leads to above average results with that system.
And that is very fair. He's also not consistently stellar in GSAA, but really no one (except stupid Crawford) has been. But the part I always end up coming back to is the Wild had other goalies in this system. Keumper and Backstrom failed. Literally the worst team goaltending the league despite facing about the same breakdown of shots in 14-15 prior to Dubnyk's arrival.

I think it ends up a balance of both. The Wild need a goalie who can consistently be okay, and occasionally great. Dubnyk fits that bill. Every now and then he lets in a soft one, but he's also able to make the big saves and overall averages out to a good fit for the system he's in. There are other goalies that could do as well or better in this system, but Dubnyk does fine, is able to shoulder a heavy workload, and has a smaller cap hit for a starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
First things first, Dubnyk is doing his job. I'm not complaining one bit about how he is doing, especially the last moonth or so. My argument is simply with guys saying that he's the team MVP and so forth. Using team/system driven stats to try and disprove my statement that Dubnyk is "an average goalie putting up decent numbers in a very good system" is silly.

There are 36 goalies that have played 1000 minutes or more this season. Here is where Dubnyk ranks among those 36
XSV% 2nd (this is where he should be expected to rank in SV%)
SV% 8th - Not bad, but 6 spots lower than the numbers say he should be
DSV% 26th -well below average
LDSV% 31st -well below average
MDSV% 14th -slightly above average
HDSV% 11th - pretty good
GSAA 26th -well below average.

Can you run those numbers with respect to from Dec 1 up until now?

I feel like Dubnyk got a very poor start, and the sv% and GAA on nhl.com bear that out. As I posted a couple of posts up, since Dec 1 he has been good, just comparing the traditional stats. I would like to know about the advanced stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->