Prospect Info: Dev Camp 2019

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only thing we know for a fact about what happened with Zaitsev in Toronto is that the guy who coached the D there convinced him to come play here.

I mean Im not an expert, but I would say that his problem, whatever it was, didnt come from anything DJ Smith was doing or saying to him. Or else hes the most gullible fool on the planet and DJ convinced him that hes a changed man...

The logical conclusion in my mind is that Babcock was very likely the culprit here. Id bet money on it.

He was really critical of media in an interview, something about how quickly they turned on Muzzin after his arrival.

Idk where the claims that it's between him and the coaching staff is coming from, but I agree it isn't likely with Smith.

Wrt not being used as a shutdown d, DJ Smith said in his media availability that Zaitsev was our top shutdown RD, so I'm pretty sure he'll get the matchups on home ice.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He was really critical of media in an interview, something about how quickly they turned on Muzzin after his arrival.

Idk where the claims that it's between him and the coaching staff is coming from, but I agree it isn't likely with Smith.

Wrt not being used as a shutdown d, DJ Smith said in his media availability that Zaitsev was our top shutdown RD, so I'm pretty sure he'll get the matchups on home ice.

I think there's a lot out there about Babcock in general. Lots of former players seem to have difficulty with him. I'm not saying that's the case here but whatever the issues were in TO they clearly were not related to DJ Smith

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think there's a lot out there about Babcock in general. Lots of former players seem to have difficulty with him. I'm not saying that's the case here but whatever the issues were in TO they clearly were not related to DJ Smith
Certainly not related to smith, i agree with that. I don't think it is that he doesn't like being used as a shutdown guy either though bevause DJ was in charge of the D in toronto and has already hinted Zaitsev will be hos go to shutdown guy on the right side

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Everyone is sleeping on Lajoie, the kid was dynamite for the first month or so and then he got injured. He was used sparingly after that. I hope he's recovered fully over the summer so he can be called up asap. He has all the tools to be a very nice PP quarterback.

I think so, too. He's a high character, hard working kid with a decent skill level and IQ who was badly outmuscled by men in the NHL last year. If he has a good summer and get some strength, he has a chance to turn into something nice. Not necessarily a core "must sign" player, but someone who can give us several good years of play in the NHL.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think so, too. He's a high character, hard working kid with a decent skill level and IQ who was badly outmuscled by men in the NHL last year. If he has a good summer and get some strength, he has a chance to turn into something nice. Not necessarily a core "must sign" player, but someone who can give us several good years of play in the NHL.

I think he will be a very solid bottom pair guy for a long time... I do think that we have several DMen with higher potential... which is a very good thing.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
His growth curve is amazing in the last few years, making surprising jumps 2 years in a row from junior to the A and then right to NHL the following year.

I wont be surprised if he shows really well again. I love his hockey sense and agree strength is probably the main thing he needs now.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
His growth curve is amazing in the last few years, making surprising jumps 2 years in a row from junior to the A and then right to NHL the following year.

I wont be surprised if he shows really well again. I love his hockey sense and agree strength is probably the main thing he needs now.

This is why I have high hopes for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad