Prospect Info: Dev Camp 2019

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
PD mentioned that Jaros is viewed as a little ahead of the other kids right now.

Unless one of the other guys seriously steps up at camp, I think we can assume that Jaros will be in the line up, while Wolanin and Branstrom battle it out for a spot on the left side.

By the end of the season we’ll probably see a defender or two traded if the kids in the AHL look ready.

Chabot/DeMelo
Wolainin/Branstrom/Zaitsev
Hainsey/Jaros
Boro

They are probably be looking to move Jaros up to play with Chabot or Branstrom eventually, especially if DeMelo isn’t in the long term plans.

When I think about it, our D prospect pool looks really good and deep, I mean we still have JBD and Thompson to fit in somewhere, in a season or two. And we have some boom bust d prospects in top of that like Tychonick to see. We are looking to have a sick back end, like Nashville caliber.

Throw in one or two of our top goalie prospects living up to their potential, and we have something to cheer about right there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we will see Hainsey and Zaitsev as the shut down pair.
Boro will be on the 3rd pair with Jaros
Wolanin will be the odd man out.. I hope he has a fantastic training camp.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Wolanin will be up before Brannstrom as he is older, more mature and manly. Brannstrom is still young and needs more physical development to become NHL ready.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Awesome. I can't wait to watch them shut it down all the way to the first overall pick

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Wolanin will be up before Brannstrom as he is older, more mature and manly. Brannstrom is still young and needs more physical development to become NHL ready.
I agree but I would think Boro is in ahead of him unfortunately

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Doesn't Hainsey play the right side? I know he's a left shot but I thought he was a RD and more comfortable there.

Reactions: NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Doesn't Hainsey play the right side? I know he's a left shot but I thought he was a RD and more comfortable there.

He plays both pretty comfortably. I dont think RD is a preference but RD is at such a premium that he has generally played there

I do think theres a good chance he plays LD for us. I dont think Zaitsev will play shutdown though as @Sens of Anarchy guessed though because I think Smith of all people knows that Zaitsev is better used as an OFD

I'd doubt Zaitsev plays in a shutdown role - I thought that's the exact reason he wanted out of Toronto

That and the fact that the fans and media hated on him for failing at a role that he was never suited for in the first place &didnt wanna play

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He plays both pretty comfortably. I dont think RD is a preference but RD is at such a premium that he has generally played there

I do think theres a good chance he plays LD for us. I dont think Zaitsev will play shutdown though as @Sens of Anarchy guessed though because I think Smith of all people knows that Zaitsev is better used as an OFD

That and the fact that the fans and media hated on him for failing at a role that he was never suited for in the first place &didnt wanna play

Necessity will be the determining factor and I suspect necessity will result in Zaitsev playing shut-down D minutes. What other Ds can handle it?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Where does Lajoie fit in all of this?
Right now he's on the outside but I still think he's battling for a spot with Wolanin, Jaros, and Brannstrom. He was brought to the AHL instead of being sent back to junior 2 years ago and did play the majority of games with Ottawa last season. I still believe the organization is quite high on him. He is a very smart player and while I think he still needs to grow in the minors I value him more then Jaros.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I believe they just announced the usual one for this year - found this - looks otherwise

HockeyBuzz.com - Mike Augello - Leafs heading to Traverse City for 2019 Rookie Tournament
Traverse City is not the usual one partake in. Usually the Leafs host it.

The Traverse City tournament is in it’s 21st season and is hosted by the Atlantic Division rival Detroit Red Wings and will run from Friday, September 6 through Tuesday, September 10, with the Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues and Leafs participating.

Sens won't be part of that one. Hopefully the Habs will host us.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd doubt Zaitsev plays in a shutdown role - I thought that's the exact reason he wanted out of Toronto

The only thing we know for a fact about what happened with Zaitsev in Toronto is that the guy who coached the D there convinced him to come play here.

I mean Im not an expert, but I would say that his problem, whatever it was, didnt come from anything DJ Smith was doing or saying to him. Or else hes the most gullible fool on the planet and DJ convinced him that hes a changed man...

The logical conclusion in my mind is that Babcock was very likely the culprit here. Id bet money on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->