Proposal: Detroit's your Huckleberry

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
^ he smelled our fear.

giphy.gif

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tyler Johnson + Mathieu Joseph + 2021 conditional 2nd for 2021 7th? Conditions being if Johnson hits 40 points or more it becomes a 3rd or he hits less it's a 2nd.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Is Marleau @ 6.25x1 for 13th OA the exception to the rule or the new normal for cap dumps?

Does a flat cap increase or decrease cost to dump bad contracts?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Is Marleau @ 6.25x1 for 13th OA the exception to the rule or the new normal for cap dumps?

That deal was a unique cap dump because it involved a buyout. A similar dump wouldn't cost as much if the receiving team actually used the player.

That pick also wouldn't have been 13 if it weren't for COVID shaking things up. It would have been in the 20's.

Reactions: qqaz

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Marleau was virtually unmovable due to his refusal to waive his NTC for anyone but SJS or somebody who was willing to buy him out.

Reactions: qqaz

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Whoever, that is not my MO. Seider, sure, but not like dat.

And I had such high hopes for ya, things were going so smoothly and peacefully...

... calm before the storm?

Only God sees EVERYTHING.
However, bern makes it a point to try and stay on good terms with The Man Upstairs.

peekaboo!

and more.

834de334094b9e7d1d876a6434014fd4.gif

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Fair enough

I am way off it seems

Glass isn’t getting traded from Vegas. He’s immovable

Nashville is not trading a top 12 pick just yo unload salary let alone also trade a young player.

Iirc Turris contract is at least buyout manageable since it has no bonus money in the last years.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Being that we're in unprecedented, uncharted (cap space) times, nobody really knows the true value until the time of the trade. Since cap is a finite amount & with 20+ teams having internal caps & (no cap space), it only leaves ~5-7 real sellers of Cap. As more teams trade/dump their casualties & dumps prices will soar even more. I think we'll see a lot of surprises & "holy crap" moments. It could get really ugly for a good number of teams.

Also if prime Gretzky was traded, anybody can get traded. I realize that was 17 yrs. before the Cap Era, but the fact that The Great One could get traded means it can happen to anyone. Tolvanaen, Glass, the next good prospect from team ___, whoever...Not saying those 2 will be traded, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities in the new landscape.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Every year fans of every bad team post a variation of this thread just as every year there are multiple threads from fans of good teams suggesting that some washed up player with two years left on an overpriced deal will return a second round pick and a B prospect because he will help a bad team get to the cap floor. DET can compete with the other bad teams to hold up cap strapped teams for picks and prospects to dump cap it’s not as if they are the only bad team with cap room.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Every year fans of every bad team post a variation of this thread just as every year there are multiple threads from fans of good teams suggesting that some washed up player with two years left on an overpriced deal will return a second round pick and a B prospect because he will help a bad team get to the cap floor. DET can compete with the other bad teams to hold up cap strapped teams for picks and prospects to dump cap it’s not as if they are the only bad team with cap room.

There's really no denying that there are for more teams looking to dump cap off this year and far less looking to take it on.

... And then there's teams like Buffalo who have cap space and are still dumping salary off.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There's really no denying that there are for more teams looking to dump cap off this year and far less looking to take it on.

... And then there's teams like Buffalo who have cap space and are still dumping salary off.

If a team offers real top shelf assets to take on cap there will be multiple teams who find a way to scrounge up the money at which point the offer drops. If Marner is a cap dump multiple teams would line up to get him for a mid first round pick and a B+ prospect. Teams will be reluctant to give up high draft picks and cost controlled young players. How many teams have real cap issues beyond next season which may not happen anyway?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If a team offers real top shelf assets to take on cap there will be multiple teams who find a way to scrounge up the money at which point the offer drops. If Marner is a cap dump multiple teams would line up to get him for a mid first round pick and a B+ prospect. Teams will be reluctant to give up high draft picks and cost controlled young players. How many teams have real cap issues beyond next season which may not happen anyway?

Why are we comparing Marner to something like Turris...

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
A MA Fleury buyout will cost the Knights 2.083M per year for the next 4 years. Is that palpable?

Fleury to the Wings makes a lot of sense if Yzerman feels that he wants a slightly older tandem for now.

The Wings don't have a lot of help coming in the goalie area.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

In fairness, our salary dump was negligible. Honestly I thought Staal was making around 5M so I was surprised by that fact.

Obviously this means the Sabres are now signing Hall and Pietrangelo because the Sabres need to have 6 RHD on the roster again :sarcasm:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think perhaps I am way off but also to the same extent, people are way off on their understanding of how problematic bad(expensive and long vs value) contracts are in a flat cap world..

Teams may absolutely not trade away good prospects or high picks to move contracts but equally as likely, teams won't take on bad contracts without significant compensation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad