Detroit's last top 10 pick

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
was 1991 Martin Lapointe, 10th overall...!!!!

theyve had 2 top 10 picks since 1987 (K.Primeau 3rd overall 1990)

their 2nd highest pick since 1991 was Larkin at 15th overall, 3rd highest was Svenchnikov and Kindl at 19th overall

Thats pretty insane. I mean, aff the top of my head, no team even comes close....

SJ? (Couture, Meier)

Dallas? (Nichushkin, Glennie... Yuck!)

NJ? (Larsson, Zacha)

St Louis? (EJ, Pietrangelo)

Habs? (Price, Galchenyuk)

Philly? (JVR, Provorov)

Last edited:

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Who cares? In pre cap world spending differential created the disparity, and in a post cap world this whole badge of honor associated with being a top 15-18 team consistently rather than adapt to the cap environment is bizarre.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Who cares? In pre cap world spending differential created the disparity, and in a post cap world this whole badge of honor associated with being a top 15-18 team consistently rather than adapt to the cap environment is bizarre.

Try and play it down as much as you want, but they've been the most successful franchise in the NHL for the last ~25 years as a whole. Not that I expect you've followed hockey before 2008.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Kudos to detroit on being a model franchise.

They are going to need at least three top 10 picks to replicate their success though, unless they find another Zetterberg and Datsuk.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

This is a rich a fan of Chicago a team that has to jettison talent every year cause their GM has mismanged the cap so badly telling Detroit they need to adapt to the cap environment.

Thanks for the laugh the Toews the 10 million dollar 60 point 2nd line center lol

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Kudos to detroit on being a model franchise.

They are going to need at least three top 10 picks to replicate their success though, unless they find another Zetterberg and Datsuk.

Those are harder to find now that everyone scouts Europe.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I feel like they're gonna have some top picks soon.. their roster is.. lackluster to say the least. Great accomplishment but I doubt it'll last much longer. It's weird living in a world where the Red Wings aren't good at hockey

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
They'll be able to start rebuilding the team soon, just like the city of Detroit will with jobs and infrastructure. I firmly believe that the Wings will be a great destination for FA signings again.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

I'd rather never win a Cup than to see the Flyers purposely tank their way to one.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
This is a rich a fan of Chicago a team that has to jettison talent every year cause their GM has mismanged the cap so badly telling Detroit they need to adapt to the cap environment.

Thanks for the laugh the Toews the 10 million dollar 60 point 2nd line center lol

They have 2 more cups than Detroit in the salary cap era, even while "constantly jettisoning" talent. Seems like theyve adapted better

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Uhhh sure

And yet, since becoming good, they have adapted better than Detroit, a team that has really just declined since 2010
Let's see how Chicago adapts when Kane and Toews are in their mid 30s and Keith/Seabrook retire.

Seriously, whether or not you like their aversity to blowing it up and tanking the Wings have done a pretty impressive job continuing to ice a competitive team for almost 30 years without high draft picks. Their 2008 Cup was all about their ability to re-tool through the draft (Franzen, Hudler, Filppula, Kronwall, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm etc.), and since then they've replaced almost the entire team through the draft without missing the playoffs once. There's 20+ teams that have accomplished less than Detroit in the past 10 years while having a lot more to work with in terms of draft position and young/prime players instead of old and declining ones.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This thread is filled with anti-tank wings fans who would rather be mediocre forever than suck and get top picks. Hurts my eyes.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
I'd rather never win a Cup than to see the Flyers purposely tank their way to one.

I never said purposely tank. There is a wide range of strategy between purposely tank and what the wings have done between 2010 and now which is desperately cling to the playoff streak while becoming totally irrelevant and mediocre. Perhaps holland is just catering to the misguided fanbase judging by this thread tho.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That's cool and all, but can you remember the last time Edmonton picked outside of the top 10?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad