Detroit Red Wings TSP Report: Top 10 Prospects Reports and Rankings

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Good article, but I'm surprised McIsaac's injury wasn't mentioned. I would also not put Mastrosimone above Svech.

I wouldn't necessarily say "The Wings system is in good shape and Yzerman has plenty of high-end talent to work with", either. Maybe, change it to "fairly good shape" to that statement and I could agree.

There are so many prospects with the RW's that have to prove themselves, and we do not have enough in the system with ELITE talent or at least are a stand-out. Development has to be the trigger word this season for the RW organization; otherwise, this could be a longer road than expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastWordArmy

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Good article, but I'm surprised McIsaac's injury wasn't mentioned. I would also not put Mastrosimone above Svech.

I wouldn't necessarily say "The Wings system is in good shape and Yzerman has plenty of high-end talent to work with", either. Maybe, change it to "fairly good shape" to that statement and I could agree.

There are so many prospects with the RW's that have to prove themselves, and we do not have enough in the system with ELITE talent or at least are a stand-out. Development has to be the trigger word this season for the RW organization, otherwise; this could be a longer road than expected.

Svech might be the hardest player to rank of anyone we do in the NHL this year. He was so good in 2016-17. He regressed a lot in 2017-18. Last year, he didn't even play. I considered him everywhere from five, to outside the top 10 entirely. I just see a lot variability in him. He has the talent and there is still a high ceiling. The last two years also say that the floor on him is real low and he could very well flame out. If ever there was a prototype for the "boom or bust" prospect, that's Svechnikov right now.

So yeah i can see both sides of the argument, he could be higher or lower depending on what a person values.

Reactions: MikeyDee

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Svech might be the hardest player to rank of anyone we do in the NHL this year. He was so good in 2016-17. He regressed a lot in 2017-18. Last year, he didn't even play. I considered him everywhere from five, to outside the top 10 entirely. I just see a lot variability in him. He has the talent and there is still a high ceiling. The last two years also say that the floor on him is real low and he could very well flame out. If ever there was a prototype for the "boom or bust" prospect, that's Svechnikov right now.

So yeah i can see both sides of the argument, he could be higher or lower depending on what a person values.

Obviously, this season will be telling for Svech. I also, think that Hronek will have a good season and am looking forward to seeing that. My prediction is that Hronek is the most improved RW this season.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Why is Cholowski graduated but not Hronek?

The cut off is 50 games played (regular season plus playoffs). I try to keep this number as bright line a rule as possible, because at the end of the series we compare all the teams and rank them 1-31. While that is always subjective, there is the possibility of bias creeping in when i decide who is a prospect and who isn't. By having a clear rule, no bias can occur in choosing who counts and who doesn't.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah hes hard to get a read on. His rookie pro season was really good, and second pretty bad but I think a lot of that was injuries. He was really good in camp last year though and looked like he could've made the team before he got hurt so I still hold him in fairly high regard. But hes not a prospect Iwould make a big argument for either way, hes a wild card. Need to see him play some more games before really making a good judgement on him

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The cut off is 50 games played (regular season plus playoffs). I try to keep this number as bright line a rule as possible, because at the end of the series we compare all the teams and rank them 1-31. While that is always subjective, there is the possibility of bias creeping in when i decide who is a prospect and who isn't. By having a clear rule, no bias can occur in choosing who counts and who doesn't.
I have been hard on your site in the past, but I will admit this is a very solid list, and well reasoned. I also like having a hard line for graduation. Overall this is a very well written article, and if this is the winds of what is to come, I really look forward to reading more.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I have been hard on your site in the past, but I will admit this is a very solid list, and well reasoned. I also like having a hard line for graduation. Overall this is a very well written article, and if this is the winds of what is to come, I really look forward to reading more.

Thanks

Our prospect coverage has consistently been praised as the best part of our site, almost since day 1 of running LWOS in 2012.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->