Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Tracker Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
How is the skating looking? Any improvement?
I saw parts of 2 games and he actually did look better skating-wise, or at least it wasn't holding him back quite as much. Also noticed that he's changed skates sometime between now and the WJC, whether it means anything. He used to wear those black and white ones which made him easier to spot on a bad quality stream... :laugh:

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Hicketts made the WHL Western Conference 1st All-Star team:

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-announces-2015-16-all-star-teams

Only unanimous selection along with Provorov. Not bad!

EDIT. Also named WHL Western Conference Player of the Year: http://whl.ca/article/whl-announces-conference-award-winners

Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino were loving Hicketts on the Sportnet CHL podcast I was listening too. They mentioned most notably his leadership and how he's the go-to guy in that dressing room. Not bad for the top ranked team in the WHL.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Pretty damn impressive for Hicketts. Hopefully hes grown an inch or two as well over the year :P

That's not totally off-base though, even if you're just kidding. He's obviously got a decent skill set and is a smart player. But there's no denying his size could become a severely limiting factor. There aren't many players, let alone defensemen, as short as him. I remain cautiously optimistic, but the major test will be whether he can handle the NHL.

Regardless, good for him. Whatever happens, he's having a great junior career.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What are Hickett's other physical attributes like? Is he a good skater? Is he still only 175lbs?

Francis Bouillon was a decent defenseman at 5'8" but he was nearly 200 lbs and strong as an ox.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What are Hickett's other physical attributes like? Is he a good skater? Is he still only 175lbs?

Francis Bouillon was a decent defenseman at 5'8" but he was nearly 200 lbs and strong as an ox.

I believe that Hicketts actually cut weight over the summer to gain quickness. With that being said, he is still probably north of 175. He is a cool story and is easy to pull for, but hard to get excited about as a prospect. Junior hockey and professional hockey are two very different animals.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

The 18-year-old native of Kamloops, B.C., suffered a torn tendon in his arm in October 2013 in a game against Kelowna and didn’t return to the Royals lineup until the last day of the following January.
---
“After my injury I was pushing 200 pounds and almost a 22% body fat,” Hicketts said. “The concern was I had to lose weight, get down to 170 pounds and 9-10% body fat.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/1...etermined-to-earn-a-spot-on-canadas-blue-line

He was listed as 179 at this past WJC, 185 at the last year's WJC and 187 at the U18 WJC in April 2014.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
It is but he has a better chance of success at 175-180lbs with 8-10% body fat than he does at 200 and 22%. Added weight in the form of fat only slows you down and increases the chances of injury. It'll be interesting to see how he fares in the AHL next year.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I was more so meaning that he obviously has no issues putting on weight, unlike some other smaller guys. So hopefully that can help him put on muscle as well, not just fat.

He still looked pretty stocky at the WJC. Obviously that frame has its limits on how much he can put on until it starts hurting other aspects of his game.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I was more so meaning that he obviously has no issues putting on weight, unlike some other smaller guys. So hopefully that can help him put on muscle as well, not just fat.

He still looked pretty stocky at the WJC. Obviously that frame has its limits on how much he can put on until it starts hurting other aspects of his game.

Make him train with Chelios.

Actually, make everyone train with Chelios.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It is but he has a better chance of success at 175-180lbs with 8-10% body fat than he does at 200 and 22%. Added weight in the form of fat only slows you down and increases the chances of injury. It'll be interesting to see how he fares in the AHL next year.

It doesn't matter what his weight is if his body fat is at 22%. That's gross for an athlete. I can't say I know what's best for him but 185 at 8-10% seems like it'd be good for him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It doesn't matter what his weight is if his body fat is at 22%. That's gross for an athlete. I can't say I know what's best for him but 185 at 8-10% seems like it'd be good for him.

It was after an injury over two years ago.. Pre-draft(had he been drafted).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It was after an injury over two years ago.. Pre-draft(had he been drafted).

I know. I read the article. And he was/is a kid still too. But not really relevant as its not about culpability. No one is going to be in game shape at 22% sans some physical freaks of nature.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That Janmark guy scoring twice vs. the Sharks looks pretty familiar. :sarcasm:

And? Dude didn't want to play in Grand Rapids. Like Backman and Jarnkrok, you get moved if you don't play through the system.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
And? Dude didn't want to play in Grand Rapids. Like Backman and Jarnkrok, you get moved if you don't play through the system.

Was this the issue? I don't remember that being the case.

Anways, who cares at this point? If a kid takes his lumps for some time in the AHL and gets disgruntled about it, I say bring him up and throw him in. If he works out, great. If he flounders, he sees what happens. We've lost a secondary scoring option and a skilled defensive center because of the philosophy we've used and have nothing to show for it.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Was this the issue? I don't remember that being the case.

Anways, who cares at this point? If a kid takes his lumps for some time in the AHL and gets disgruntled about it, I say bring him up and throw him in. If he works out, great. If he flounders, he sees what happens. We've lost a secondary scoring option and a skilled defensive center because of the philosophy we've used and have nothing to show for it.

Very much agreed. Traded NHL talent for rentals. And they didn't work out.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Probably. Just threw it in to point at where he stands now and the value that Cole could bring in. Traded him away for nothing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad