Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I remember watching mantha face drouin in the 2013 qmjhl playoffs. While mantha was doing good, drouin was insane with like 40 something points in 15 games. Manthas team eventually beat drouins team though.

Hopefully Rasmussen can keep it up, this run reminds me of drouins run. Anyone know what the whl playoff scoring record is?

Reactions: Konnan511

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I remember watching mantha face drouin in the 2013 qmjhl playoffs. While mantha was doing good, drouin was insane with like 40 something points in 15 games. Manthas team eventually beat drouins team though.

Hopefully Rasmussen can keep it up, this run reminds me of drouins run. Anyone know what the whl playoff scoring record is?
53 – Dale Derkatch, Regina Pats, (12 goals, 41 assists), 1984 (23 games).

Reactions: TheMule93

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Huh? Drouin had back to back 100+ pt regular seasons.

Both guys were insanely productive their entire Juniors careers.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

What does the regular season have to do with what Mule was saying? I agree with Mule, his playoff run does look similar to Drouin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What does the regular season have to do with what Mule was saying? I agree with Mule, his playoff run does look similar to Drouin.

I perceived it as “really stepping it up in the playoffs”. Drouin just produced all the time like crazy.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario

i was just referring to both going absolutely nuts in the playoffs, dont give a shit about doruins regular seasons. I dont watch much junior playoffs so i dont know how often players maintain 3ppg+

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i was just referring to both going absolutely nuts in the playoffs, dont give a **** about doruins regular seasons. I dont watch much junior playoffs so i dont know how often players maintain 3ppg+

I see what you mean now, both cases are big playoff production.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Am I the only one slightly disappointed? I watch all the Rasmussen highlights as they come in, and I don't think I've seen him score a goal I thought was exciting. His passing is improving, so I'll give him that (although I wish it were a bigger part of his game). Still, this has got to be one of the least exciting 3 ppg runs of all time.

Tip-in goals really just leave me cold. I only watch hockey for entertainment, and I want to see high-speed, high-skill offensive hockey, not "I'm standing here screening and... aha! you didn't tie up my stick! we score!" So many of Rasmussen's goals involve him barely moving. On fuzzy WHL feeds, sometimes you only know Rasmussen scored because he celebrates. There are no other discernable clues that a play is even happening.

I mean, I appreciate that he's very skilled and doing well. But I wish this wasn't such a big part of the game today, because it's arguably the least entertaining part. Although I guess there's shotblocking. But we drafted defensemen who do that with the picks after Rasmussen, so I guess the Wings organization has covered their bases.
Damn you must have hated the Lidstrom-Holmstrom connection back in the day.

You're never going to have a team full of Athanasious or Datsyuks. How many times have we been defeated because we have too many perimeter players and no net-front presence? Is that entertainment? Would the Isles be more entertaining if they didn't have Anders Lee scoring 40 gritty goals?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Damn you must have hated the Lidstrom-Holmstrom connection back in the day.

You're never going to have a team full of Athanasious or Datsyuks. How many times have we been defeated because we have too many perimeter players and no net-front presence? Is that entertainment? Would the Isles be more entertaining if they didn't have Anders Lee scoring 40 gritty goals?
In order:

1. I really liked Lidstrom, but did not really enjoy the Holmstrom thing. Thankfully there was enough talent otherwise to make the games worth watching. Put a Holmstrom on today's team and I would probably fall asleep. Which is what I fear will happen starting next year.
  2. I don't want a team of any Athanasious. I'll pass. No pun intended.
  3. But they don't even have to be Datsyuks. I would have accepted Larkin and another high-end possession center, which is what Necas should be. Even then, it's not that you only need skill players to succeed. It's that you need enough skill players, and the Wings don't have that. That's why drafting a big role player over a high end possession center is frustrating. One is a luxury, the other an absolute necessity.
  4. I definitely think the Isles would be more entertaining without Anders Lee. They'd be worse, but more entertaining. That said, Anders Lee isn't nearly as boring as Rasmussen. I've seen Anders Lee score some pretty physically-involved goals where he had to be a bull down low. I've never seen that from Rasmussen. I've never seen him go beast mode and move defensemen. It's just deflections all day long. Yuck. If Rasmussen can develop even a little bit of an edge, it'll go a long way.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I definitely think the Isles would be more entertaining without Anders Lee. They'd be worse, but more entertaining. That said, Anders Lee isn't nearly as boring as Rasmussen. I've seen Anders Lee score some pretty physically-involved goals where he had to be a bull down low. I've never seen that from Rasmussen. I've never seen him go beast mode and move defensemen. It's just deflections all day long. Yuck. If Rasmussen can develop even a little bit of an edge, it'll go a long way.

I'm not Rasmussen's biggest fan and I agree that his playstyle strikes me as more of a complimentary player than a possession #1C. However he does have an edge to his game and can be a bull down low. He does a great job at collecting and finishing rebounds and dominating in front in general-not just deflecting pucks. I wish he was more skilled, could pass and distribute the puck better, stick-handle well and such. But he is a very complete player in front of the net and there's not much he could do better in that regard.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I'm not Rasmussen's biggest fan and I agree that his playstyle strikes me as more of a complimentary player than a possession #1C. However he does have an edge to his game and can be a bull down low. He does a great job at collecting and finishing rebounds and dominating in front in general-not just deflecting pucks. I wish he was more skilled, could pass and distribute the puck better, stick-handle well and such. But he is a very complete player in front of the net and there's not much he could do better in that regard.
He was bullish with the Wings in the preseason and I have seen much of that from him in highlights this year and he will only get better at it as it gets stronger. Some realgud passing so far in the playoffs.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In order:

1. I really liked Lidstrom, but did not really enjoy the Holmstrom thing. Thankfully there was enough talent otherwise to make the games worth watching. Put a Holmstrom on today's team and I would probably fall asleep. Which is what I fear will happen starting next year.
  2. I don't want a team of any Athanasious. I'll pass. No pun intended.
  3. But they don't even have to be Datsyuks. I would have accepted Larkin and another high-end possession center, which is what Necas should be. Even then, it's not that you only need skill players to succeed. It's that you need enough skill players, and the Wings don't have that. That's why drafting a big role player over a high end possession center is frustrating. One is a luxury, the other an absolute necessity.
  4. I definitely think the Isles would be more entertaining without Anders Lee. They'd be worse, but more entertaining. That said, Anders Lee isn't nearly as boring as Rasmussen. I've seen Anders Lee score some pretty physically-involved goals where he had to be a bull down low. I've never seen that from Rasmussen. I've never seen him go beast mode and move defensemen. It's just deflections all day long. Yuck. If Rasmussen can develop even a little bit of an edge, it'll go a long way.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't give a shit about the style of play. My excitement comes from my team being able to compete and win games. The Islanders are a team that is already missing the playoffs with Lee...and you'd enjoy them without him even more? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a fast, high skill, high scoring team, but I'd take a contender that plays a ugly, bully style over a fast team that does nothing of meaning any day of the week.

Reactions: izlez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In order:
  1. But they don't even have to be Datsyuks. I would have accepted Larkin and another high-end possession center, which is what Necas should be. Even then, it's not that you only need skill players to succeed. It's that you need enough skill players, and the Wings don't have that. That's why drafting a big role player over a high end possession center is frustrating. One is a luxury, the other an absolute necessity.

You dont need enough skill players in the sense youre using the word though. You need enough good players. The wings have had plenty of good skill players the last few years without any balance or grit to th line up and it left fans watching Nyquist and Tatar do nothing come playoff time. The wings need good players, not skilled players. I also wonder what your opinion of the Larkin pick was when he was drafted.. tonne of posters here hated it and now hes the wings best player

Your use of the term big role player vs high end possession center is ridiculous and doesnt help get your point across. Its basically the same as me saying youre mad about drafting a Getzlaf instead of picking another Cory Emmerton. I get that you might have perferences towards certain styles, but dont pretend like specific play styles make a difference in effectiveness. Patrice Bergeron isnt out there dangling everyone, and Chara certainly isnt flashy but that Boston team is really good

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You dont need enough skill players in the sense youre using the word though. You need enough good players. The wings have had plenty of good skill players the last few years without any balance or grit to th line up and it left fans watching Nyquist and Tatar do nothing come playoff time. The wings need good players, not skilled players. I also wonder what your opinion of the Larkin pick was when he was drafted.. tonne of posters here hated it and now hes the wings best player

Your use of the term big role player vs high end possession center is ridiculous and doesnt help get your point across. Its basically the same as me saying youre mad about drafting a Getzlaf instead of picking another Cory Emmerton. I get that you might have perferences towards certain styles, but dont pretend like specific play styles make a difference in effectiveness. Patrice Bergeron isnt out there dangling everyone, and Chara certainly isnt flashy but that Boston team is really good
I disagree completely. Certain styles of play just don't work as well in today's game. You can give me an 80/100 defensive defenseman and I'm going to be disappointed, but you can give me an 80/100 puckmoving defenseman and I'm very happy.

It's similar with top 6 forwards: it's all about puckhandling, skating, hockey IQ, passing, and sniping. If you can't do those things, fine. We need depth players, too. But if we spend a top 10 pick on a forward, I want that guy to have all or almost all of those qualities. By my count, Rasmussen might have three of two: skating, hockey IQ, and passing. I think the jury's still out on passing.

But going back to your point: I think a top six forward who can stickhandle, shoot, pass, etc. is absolutely a more useful player than a top six forward who cannot do those things. I don't draft guys in the top 10 to check. I don't draft them to have intangibles, or to play net-front or be "heavy." I draft them to put points on the board. And amongst players who can put points on the board, I would take skilled players over less skilled guys every day of the week.

Basically, Ryan Getzlaf is still a better player than a Ryan Getzlaf-level version of Cory Emmerton.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I disagree completely. Certain styles of play just don't work as well in today's game. You can give me an 80/100 defensive defenseman and I'm going to be disappointed, but you can give me an 80/100 puckmoving defenseman and I'm very happy.

It's similar with top 6 forwards: it's all about puckhandling, skating, hockey IQ, passing, and sniping. If you can't do those things, fine. We need depth players, too. But if we spend a top 10 pick on a forward, I want that guy to have all or almost all of those qualities. By my count, Rasmussen might have three of two: skating, hockey IQ, and passing. I think the jury's still out on passing.

But going back to your point: I think a top six forward who can stickhandle, shoot, pass, etc. is absolutely a more useful player than a top six forward who cannot do those things. I don't draft guys in the top 10 to check. I don't draft them to have intangibles, or to play net-front or be "heavy." I draft them to put points on the board. And amongst players who can put points on the board, I would take skilled players over less skilled guys every day of the week.

Basically, Ryan Getzlaf is still a better player than a Ryan Getzlaf-level version of Cory Emmerton.

The issue with what youre saying is that you think it has to be all or nothing. Is Rasmussen as fancy with the puck as Athanasiou? Can he shoot as well? I doubt it, but quit kidding yourself that Rasmussen cant do those things at all. He can at different levels but still very well, he was a 9th overall pick for a reason. I could make the argument that being able to fend off defenders with your body is the most valuable trait in todays NHL for a forward. It leads to puck possession and drawn penalties cause dmen cant get away with anything. That wouldnt completely true, but Zetterebrg sure doesnt shoot hard or skate fast and look at his career.

Moral of the story is, youre making up a false narrative about what players need to have to be successful when its just not true. I get you wanting certain guys for their play style more, everyone does that, but you dont need to pretend like there are only certain things that make a player good. If a player scores 15 end to end highlight reel goals a year, is he better than a guy who scores 35 playing in the tough areas that the other player doesnt want to go? No chance.

For one cup run would you rather have Wayne Simmonds or Ryan Strome? Simmonds is a pretty bad skater and definitely not a great passer. Like you said, you draft guys to put points on the board, why does play style matter as long as they do that?

Reactions: Ulysses31

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's similar with top 6 forwards: it's all about puckhandling, skating, hockey IQ, passing, and sniping. If you can't do those things, fine. We need depth players, too. But if we spend a top 10 pick on a forward, I want that guy to have all or almost all of those qualities.
That’s a really simplistic view of hockey but even so Rasmussen has all those qualities. Have you not seen some of his snipes? Skates very well for a big guy, handles the puck extremely well (puck protection is what puckhandling is about), and has displayed a lot more playmaking this year.
Hockey IQ is the hardest to gauge but it’s something people questioned in Larkin too so it’s not connected to being a fancy dangler or making high-risk plays.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Rasmussen has two assists through two periods.

Also I'm looking at the Portland game (cholowski has a goal)... Why does the game play by play show cholowski taking faceoff?! Are they playing him at forward or something? Or is he their beer faceoff guy, which I would be interesting for sure

WHL Network

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Rasmussen has two assists through two periods.

Also I'm looking at the Portland game (cholowski has a goal)... Why does the game play by play show cholowski taking faceoff?! Are they playing him at forward or something? Or is he their beer faceoff guy, which I would be interesting for sure

WHL Network
Looks like they had a 5 on 3 in the 2nd, maybe the center got thrown out.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Victoria scored a goal with 2 seconds left so Rasmussen's EN goal was the game winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad