Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sulak’s team was eliminated today, so he could be heading to GR soon. He might also be an option for the CZE WC team in May.

It's quite interesting, that at the 1st playoff round (4 teams, qualifying round for the TOP8), Sulak played 24 minutes at top pair, shot 22 fenwick attempts (highest from any players) in 3 games, which was most from any of the 4 teams at the first round.

But...

He also was -2, didn't score any points, and his on-ice Corsi shot differential was 40 for, 62 against = -22 rating. So CorsiFor% was 39,2%.

Somehow I just feel bad, when someone shoots 22 shot attempts by himself and takes -22 rating overall. I understand these -22 ratings when the player doesn't shoot by himself as a stay-at-home shut down guy, but no on this case.

He is a trainwreck defensively.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
It's quite interesting, that at the 1st playoff round (4 teams, qualifying round for the TOP8), Sulak played 24 minutes at top pair, shot 22 fenwick attempts (highest from any players) in 3 games, which was most from any of the 4 teams at the first round.

But...

He also was -2, didn't score any points, and his on-ice Corsi shot differential was 40 for, 62 against = -22 rating. So CorsiFor% was 39,2%.

Somehow I just feel bad, when someone shoots 22 shot attempts by himself and takes -22 rating overall. I understand these -22 ratings when the player doesn't shoot by himself as a stay-at-home shut down guy, but no on this case.

He is a trainwreck defensively.
I agree, I watched about 1.5 of those games. Out of curiosity, what were his comparable numbers in the regular season vs teammates? He gets a lot of shots but I've noticed that some of that comes from not sharing the puck enough in the offensive zone.

He has a lot to work on defensively, much of which right now looks like it will block him from being a regular NHLer. But, other than for "I told you so" rights, I don't see why some like to make final judgements on signed players until they have played regularly at the North American pro-level (AHL/NHL), especially if they show some kind of special ability.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't see why some like to make final judgements on signed players until they have played regularly at the North American pro-level (AHL/NHL), especially if they show some kind of special ability.

Yeah, season in Grand Rapids would tell more. But still remember him being that same trainwreck at NHL pre-season games. SM-Liiga playoffs prelimilinary rounds are lot more easier competition and if he is a trainwreck again, it's even worse.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, season in Grand Rapids would tell more. But still remember him being that same trainwreck at NHL pre-season games. SM-Liiga playoffs prelimilinary rounds are lot more easier competition and if he is a trainwreck again, it's even worse.
Yeah, but in those summer games he couldn't do anything well. Just brutal in all ways. That compared to what he showed in Liiga was like a different player. Next season will be his one and probably only option to show what he's really got.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Rasmussen sat out his teams last game of the season to get ready for the playoffs. Tri-City is going to play Kelowna in the first round. Kelowna Rockets are a pretty good team with players like Callan Foote, Kole Lind and Dillon Dube. Gonna be a tough series. Series starts Thursday night.

Cholowski with no points tonight, but he was a +1. Portland plays the Spokane Chiefs in the first round starting Saturday night.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Svechnikov just cannot skate , he is not NHL , hope we got 2nd rounder or 3rd for him

Christien

May 1, 2010
Svechnikov just cannot skate , he is not NHL , hope we got 2nd rounder or 3rd for him
His skating is going to hold him back for sure, but id still like to see him get more minutes to get a better look, maybe put him on the 2nd PP unit.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Naah. More Dan Cleary hockey school and he is fine.

Just like TyBertuzzi couldn't skate but look where he is now.

Knock it off with this stuff.

Danny Cleary didn't turn Bertuzzi into a better skater.
Bert's speed is still an issue for him.

He gets by because he's smart, engaged and he's reasonable at passing the puck in the offensive zone.

But when you get him pinned in the Dzone, he's a disaster.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Sulak’s team was eliminated today, so he could be heading to GR soon. He might also be an option for the CZE WC team in May.
There are already too many d-men on the Griffs. They should send him Toledo this year and allow him to get acclimated to NA hockey.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Rumors are that maybe A Svech is older than he claims.
Wonder if that's possibly the case for E Svech, too?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
While the article gives interesting info in the case that he is older, what it doesn't do is give any info proving or even attempting to prove he is lying about his age.

Yep.
He writes that it's a rumor

there’s a bit of an issue there: there are rumors starting to float around that Svechnikov may be older than his file claims him to be.

Just to be up front on this, I want to clarify that I don’t know for certain if this is the case. I’ve been told that his birth date could actually been in 1998 (which would make him somewhere between 15 and 27 months older than he was thought to be),

Christien

May 1, 2010
Khan put out an article this morning that talked about Rasmussen and Cholowski.

Red Wings' recent top picks Michael Rasmussen, Dennis Cholowski progress

Some things:

The 6-foot-6, 221-pound Rasmussen will get a good opportunity to make the roster next season as a 19-year-old. The Red Wings plan to use him at left wing in the spot vacated by the traded Tomas Tatar and eventually groom him to be a center, like they have with Larkin.

It's especially difficult for a defenseman to go from juniors to the NHL, so Cholowski is almost certain to play in Grand Rapids next season.
Horcoff said Rasmussen and Cholowski will join Grand Rapids this season once their junior teams are done, if the Griffins are still playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad