Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Givani Smith

Funny I googled his name to see his stats since the trade and I saw this before going to elite prospects.

Cholowski had 2 assists and got the first star in his return to Prince George. Rasmussen had a goal on 8 shots in a 3-4 loss.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Givani Smith

Funny I googled his name to see his stats since the trade and I saw this before going to elite prospects.

Ugh, what a stupid thing to do. I didn't think he was this much of a hot head, at least I don't remember seeing clips of him chucking linesmen around before. Wonder what got under his skin here.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Guys on that twitter post are saying the linesman tripped on a stick.
Did he get extra time in the penalty box?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Guys on that twitter post are saying the linesman tripped on a stick.
Did he get extra time in the penalty box?
There's a thread dedicated to it now, no he only got the original minor and fighting major. (Apparently...didn't watch the game)

Edit, welp just visited that thread and realized this was a useless post.

Reactions: Redder Winger

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Cholowski's stock continues to rise

Portlands coach is comparing cholo to Seth Jones who also played for Portland years back.

"Early in the year when I saw him play I thought he was a very mobile type of defenceman, jumps up ice, makes a good first pass, and I thought early in the year if we could ever get a player like that to help us out down the stretch that would be great and it turns out we were able to make that type of a deal," said Johnston.

"But I didn't realize how good he was. He's a better player than I even though the was. He's very good defensively and I compare him to (Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman) Seth Jones, who we had several years ago. Seth never ran over you physically, but he was strong, he used his body well, he had a good stick defensively, and then when he got the puck his transition pass or skating was really good and I think Dennis is a lot like that. He's a better defensive player than I thought."

"I think today's defencemen, especially when you think of Detroit or Chicago, those types of teams that transition, they want their defence to skate and move the puck. I really think Detroit is craving a guy like that now, that can play that type of style. He was well schooled here (in Prince George) and I don't know what happened at college, I don't think he got the opportunity and the playing time (last season at St. Cloud State), but certainly coming back to our league has been good for him."

"We won't get him back next year, there's not a chance. We knew we would only have him for a short time but he's a pro in everything he does and the guys in the room will learn from him and then he'll move on."

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I went out to watch Grand Rapids to track the progress of Hronek, who has put up a ton of points for a 20-year-old in the AHL. Wings fans are in my inbox/mentions regularly begging for some hope, and while I can give them some, it’s with disclaimers. Hronek is a gifted offensive defenseman, probably the team’s No. 2 prospect, showing great confidence, skill and composure moving the puck and QBing Grand Rapids top power play unit. He does have things to work on, though. He can get a little too cute and turn pucks over, and he has to improve his defense. I’d also like to see him be a tad more explosive.

pronman on hronek.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
If anyone has 1D potential in our prospect pool, it is cholowski. Not sure he will be offensively talented enough to be one but maybe so. He certainly is physically able (skating, strength), as well as defensively able. Should be a good top 4 guy at least.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty much what expected. Cholowski will be NHL player very soon and Hronek could have problems with his speed, which isn't a problem in AHL.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If anyone has 1D potential in our prospect pool, it is cholowski. Not sure he will be offensively talented enough to be one but maybe so. He certainly is physically able (skating, strength), as well as defensively able. Should be a good top 4 guy at least.
I think it's actually the opposite. Hrm. I think Cholowski is better than advertised offensively, but not nearly as good defensively as some think. I mean, he's better than Hronek, but that's not really a high bar. I don't think Cholo is going to be a shut-down defenseman. He probably won't be a liability, but you aren't going to want him up against McDavid or something.

Reactions: martinez

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think it's actually the opposite. Hrm. I think Cholowski is better than advertised offensively, but not nearly as good defensively as some think. I mean, he's better than Hronek, but that's not really a high bar. I don't think Cholo is going to be a shut-down defenseman. He probably won't be a liability, but you aren't going to want him up against McDavid or something.
I agree with that right now, he will get better defensively though. He has the size and the skating. I think playing in the A would help him in that area.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
cholowski's advertised skills are skating and puck transition

hronek's skills are hands, his shot, and good offensive vision

i have no idea how you could, from that, conclude that Hronek isnt as good offensively as Cholowski. I mean, last season in their respective draft+1 season, Hronek outproduced Cholowski's current production (in his draft+2 season) while in a lower scoring league. You dont think if Hronek returned to juniors again this season, that he would outproduce Cholowski? You wouldnt expect any improvement from Hronek over last season, in terms of offense?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I know many are not high on Gilmour because of his size at 5'10 and 180lbs, but here is a clip from an article yesterday that shows how valuable he is. I hope Detroit sees beyond the stat line and realizes how much better he makes his teammates!

On a positive note, Spirit forward Brady Gilmour, who has been out since Jan. 19, after sustaining an elbow injury on a dirty hit against the Sudbury Wolves, made the trip to the Soo last night, although he did not dress.
In the 23 games without Gilmour (who was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2017 NHL draft) the Spirit have only won 6-games, while losing 17-games in that time frame. Gilmour would add some much needed offense, while balancing out the lines.
The Spirit have not indicated whether Gilmour will return before the playoffs or not.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I know many are not high on Gilmour because of his size at 5'10 and 180lbs, but here is a clip from an article yesterday that shows how valuable he is. I hope Detroit sees beyond the stat line and realizes how much better he makes his teammates!

On a positive note, Spirit forward Brady Gilmour, who has been out since Jan. 19, after sustaining an elbow injury on a dirty hit against the Sudbury Wolves, made the trip to the Soo last night, although he did not dress.
In the 23 games without Gilmour (who was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2017 NHL draft) the Spirit have only won 6-games, while losing 17-games in that time frame. Gilmour would add some much needed offense, while balancing out the lines.
The Spirit have not indicated whether Gilmour will return before the playoffs or not.

Well, to be fair, the Red Wings haven't won since Tatar left.
Not sure if Gilmour is a first or 2nd line center for Saginaw, but if the guy they replace him with is worthless, it doesn't mean that GIlmour is something special, it just means the other guy is inept.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Not sure if Gilmour is a first or 2nd line center for Saginaw, but if the guy they replace him with is worthless, it doesn't mean that GIlmour is something special, it just means the other guy is inept.

To be fair SaginawFan didn't say Gilmour was "something special."

They just pointed out there is more to his game than the stat line would suggest.

Does every conversation have to be spun into a negative here?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
To be fair SaginawFan didn't say Gilmour was "something special."

They just pointed out there is more to his game than the stat line would suggest.

Does every conversation have to be spun into a negative here?

Again, win-loss record without might say more about his replacement than him.

If the Red Wings are 20th overall with Jimmy Howard and then sink to 28th with Coreau, what does that really tell you?
Does it mean there's more to Howard's game than his stats suggest?
Maybe.
Or it could mean that Coreau is horrible and mean nothing about Howard.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
1) it means howard can help the team win
2) bad analogy
3) Gilmour helps his team more than just his stat line would indicate is the only point being made

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sulak’s team was eliminated today, so he could be heading to GR soon. He might also be an option for the CZE WC team in May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad