Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
No he hasn't been playing good overall. Guy shoots the puck a lot yeah. But that's nothing special for a 23-year-old.

I've seen his games a lot. As I said earlier, he is "poor man's Brendan Smith". Offensive mistake-machine, who plays losing hockey. Stat-queen, who doesn't pass the eye-test.

I don't have any future hopes for him, but if we can use him as a trade bait (for a pick or as a sweetener in another trade), that would be pretty much maximizing his value.

Thanks for the insight, I just saw his stats and thought he was doing good. Is the Liiga usually a high-scoring d-man league?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
It seems our Swedish guys in the WJC have been pretty awesome for their since their return. How have our other guys been doing?

Speaking of your guys, few days ago we put out a Winter Blue Dispatch release, thought you guys might be interested in what your depth-chart looks like in Europe.

gUDl9cS.png

Max rating a player can receive is 4 stars.

If you're interested in the whole thing beyond just your team chart, it's 47 pages of league-wide prospect junkie material (all 31 team depth charts, team rankings, drafted prospects rankings, 2018 Top 20, 2019 Top 5 and more): Products – Draftin Europe

As some might remember, a guy we were really high on (and still are) is Gustav Lindstrom. He doesn't get the hype elsewhere, but we feel he has a real chance at becoming an NHL defenseman.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Speaking of your guys, few days ago we put out a Winter Blue Dispatch release, thought you guys might be interested in what your depth-chart looks like in Europe.

gUDl9cS.png

If you're interested in the whole thing beyond just your team chart, it's 47 pages of league-wide prospect junkie material (all 31 team depth charts, team rankings, drafted prospects rankings, 2018 Top 20, 2019 Top 5 and more): Products – Draftin Europe

As some might remember, a guy we were really high on (and still are) is Gustav Lindstrom. He doesn't get the hype elsewhere, but we feel he has a real chance at becoming an NHL defenseman.

How so? I haven’t really followed him. Skating? Iq? All the tools?

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

I've been following Lindström a little bit. He doesn't excel in area of the ice imo but he has always struck me as someone that is capable of doing everything with decent result, a stereotypical all around defensemen with good physique.

Upside I'd say second pairing defensemen that PK's and just overall reliable and can chip in abit offensively, but is more likely to become a servicble 3rd pairing guy. I like the pick in general because he has all the tools to become a nhl defender and apparently has good character, coaches seem to like him.

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Well, first of all as hinted inside the screenshot his breakout passing ability is top notch. The rest of the package features legit size, adequate IQ, above average hands with poise and competent presence on the offensive blueline. Skating is probably the main area that needs improvement.

Reactions: Christien

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

gUDl9cS.png

I know they are younger but Ehn amnd Setkov are ranked ahead of Sulak yet Sulak leads the Finnish league in points per game by a defenseman. Why do you have them ranked ahead of him?

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
A good pic of 2017 5th rounder Cole Fraser fighting former Wings' prospect Mike McKee in the final game of the 2017 Prospects Tournament.
cut.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone know what happened to Zach Gallant? IIRC he was showing some good offense to start the year, but looks like he has went pointless in 8 of his last 11 games.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Anyone know what happened to Zach Gallant? IIRC he was showing some good offense to start the year, but looks like he has went pointless in 8 of his last 11 games.

Watched him play Kingston last weekend, his team is dog****. He was their best player for what that's worth.

An obvious long shot for an NHL career though. With how many recent picks the Wings have/have made I'm kind of skeptical he'll get a contract.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
An obvious long shot for an NHL career though. With how many recent picks the Wings have/have made I'm kind of skeptical he'll get a contract.

I mentioned this the other day but it has become a concern to me lately. With 20+ picks in 2 years I'm worried quality prospects slipping through the cracks. Outside of the very top talents guys still need to develop at 20 years old. We're drafting guys that simply won't get that opportunity due to contract limits.

I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I mentioned this the other day but it has become a concern to me lately. With 20+ picks in 2 years I'm worried quality prospects slipping through the cracks. Outside of the very top talents guys still need to develop at 20 years old. We're drafting guys that simply won't get that opportunity due to contract limits.

Maybe, but you need to be willing to break some eggs

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

It only becomes a problem when you're trading blue-chip prospects (see: Filip Forsberg). This organization correctly identified the players they need to keep (Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi) while moving others that they don't need (Jarkrok, Janmark, Sproul, etc.).

Out of Russo, Saarijarvi, Hickets, Hronek, Cholowski and possibly a defenseman they draft this season, it's likely only two of them become regular players in Detroit. That's just how it goes and also why you should never become emotionally attached to one specific player or two.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Strange that Cholowski hasn't been quite as productive since the trade on a much better team. He only has 1 goal in 20 games after scoring 13 in 37 with PG.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Strange that Cholowski hasn't been quite as productive since the trade on a much better team. He only has 1 goal in 20 games after scoring 13 in 37 with PG.

He has roughly same average amount of shots on goal in Portland than he did in Prince George.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Larsson had a 32 save shutout Friday, injured yesterday early in the 1st on this play:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Cholowski and Rasmussen matched up for a 9-0 Portland win over the Americans last night.

No points for either player, Cholowski had +2 and 4 shots.
Rasmussen was -1 4 shots and 10 pims, so if someone knows what exactly happened with him that'd be great.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Cholowski and Rasmussen matched up for a 9-0 Portland win over the Americans last night.

No points for either player, Cholowski had +2 and 4 shots.
Rasmussen was -1 4 shots and 10 pims, so if someone knows what exactly happened with him that'd be great.
It was a 10 minute misconduct, I'd be interested to hear exactly what happened.

Also, Portland has 5 games in 6 days starting on Friday? That sounds insane. How does that even happen?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Article with Martin's comments and his list of possible new faces in GR next season:
Stockpile of Red Wings draft picks will 'significantly' change Griffins

Basically, due to the high number of picks the team will look younger in future years and probably more prospects in Toledo also. Martin mentions at least 5 rookies next year - Cholowski, Smith, Pope, Ehn & Sambrook.

This part stuck out, I wonder if they're really considering not signing him. Not sure why he would mention that otherwise.
If Sambrook is not signed, Martin suggested Libor Sulak, a 23-year-old undrafted defenseman in the Finnish Elite League who signed last May, could slide into that spot.

Apparently, Martin also said that the Wings want to get a look at Svechnikov still this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
4 of the prospects we drafted last year have taken a step backwards statistically in their +1 seasons.

Zach Gallant, Lane Zablocki, Cole Fraser, Brady Gilmour

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
4 of the prospects we drafted last year took a step backwards statistically in their +1 seasons.

Zach Gallant, Lane Zablocki, Cole Fraser, Brady Gilmour
Might as well add Webb to that list too.

Not looking great.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Article with Martin's comments and his list of possible new faces in GR next season:
Stockpile of Red Wings draft picks will 'significantly' change Griffins

Basically, due to the high number of picks the team will look younger in future years and probably more prospects in Toledo also. Martin mentions at least 5 rookies next year - Cholowski, Smith, Pope, Ehn & Sambrook.

This part stuck out, I wonder if they're really considering not signing him. Not sure why he would mention that otherwise.
If Sambrook is not signed, Martin suggested Libor Sulak, a 23-year-old undrafted defenseman in the Finnish Elite League who signed last May, could slide into that spot.

Apparently, Martin also said that the Wings want to get a look at Svechnikov still this season.

Good article. It seems like Sambrook is doing well but it does sound like they might not sign him based on that article. He also sounds really confident about Pope signing, you would think he would be a guy they mention not signing if they thought there was a chance of him going as a free agent. Pope is kinda under the radar but with his production and size they need to try to sign him. I know nothing about his style of play, skating etc but guys that scoe at that clip in college with size deserve a look

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad