Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Button has been very good with his lists the last few years. Brings a dose of reality to the Red Wings prospect pool. 1 guy barely in the top 50. This is a critical draft for the Wings.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Button has been very good with his lists the last few years. Brings a dose of reality to the Red Wings prospect pool. 1 guy barely in the top 50. This is a critical draft for the Wings.
Only if you think "reality" is exactly what Button thinks. Philippe Myers is a better prospect than Hronek? Please. Kiefer Bellows is ~top 20 and Rasmussen is barely top 50? Okay. German Rubtsov is a top 50 prospect? Close-to-being-a-bust Alex Nylander at 25? 3 goalies in the top 10 is also something I could never agree with, but then again I think mixing skaters and goalies is dumb to begin with.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Saarijarvi was ranked #33 a couple years ago but Hronek doesn't get ranked this year?

Hronek has been better at every step along the way, including actual production at the professional level at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Saarijarvi was ranked #33 a couple years ago but Hronek doesn't get ranked this year?

Hronek has been better at every step along the way, including actual production at the professional level at this point.

Good point. I'm guessing that is because Saarijarvi was more of a stand-out for Finland at the WJC, and he puts a ton of stock (probably too much) into the international tournaments.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Meh. We've had arguably top ten prospect pools a few times over the past decade and where has that gotten us?

It's a nice thing to hang your hat on, but not much more than that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Good point. I'm guessing that is because Saarijarvi was more of a stand-out for Finland at the WJC, and he puts a ton of stock (probably too much) into the international tournaments.

At this point it is probably more about the transition to pro hockey than anything. To stay up in these types of rankings you need to continue to develop year-over-year or you will get passed. I certainly see a case for Hronek in the top fifty, but I am also not entirely sure it is a given either. You aren't hearing a lot of explanation in this thread as to why exactly he belongs there over others.

I have no issue with Craig's list. I think it is a very reasonable ranking even if I don't agree with every player. To be totally honest, our prospect pool is not particularly impressive at the moment. I was not expecting to see a lot of our guys on that list. I am expecting a long road back to relevancy.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
At this point it is probably more about the transition to pro hockey than anything. To stay up in these types of rankings you need to continue to develop year-over-year or you will get passed. I certainly see a case for Hronek in the top fifty, but I am also not entirely sure it is a given either. You aren't hearing a lot of explanation in this thread as to why exactly he belongs there over others.

I have no issue with Craig's list. I think it is a very reasonable ranking even if I don't agree with every player. To be totally honest, our prospect pool is not particularly impressive at the moment. I was not expecting to see a lot of our guys on that list. I am expecting a long road back to relevancy.
Liljegeren and Hronek should definitely have been on the list. Other than Larkin, Hronek is the most promising Red Wing at his age since Fedorov.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Liljegeren and Hronek should definitely have been on the list. Other than Larkin, Hronek is the most promising Red Wing at his age since Fedorov.

Primeau, Fischer and Grigrenko easily eclipse him at the same age. Zettererg and Datsyuk had also exploded post-draft by the time they were Hronek's age. So that is five guys since Fedorov that I can name without a ton of deep thought on it.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Primeau, Fischer and Grigrenko easily eclipse him at the same age. Zettererg and Datsyuk had also exploded post-draft by the time they were Hronek's age. So that is five guys since Fedorov that I can name without a ton of deep thought on it.
I'll give you Primeau and Fischer but I think walking again was in doubt for Grigerenko when he was as old as Hronek is now. I think that even if you ponder deeply on the matter you can't come up with another.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'll give you Primeau and Fischer but I think walking again was in doubt for Grigerenko when he was as old as Hronek is now. I think that even if you ponder deeply on the matter you can't come up with another.

Grigs would have suffered his injury in this coming summer if we are lining up the ages I believe. The point being he was a lot bigger deal as a prospect. Granted his defense was abysmal but Ryan Sproul was winning the OHL D-man of the year at this same age juncture. Hudler was enjoying a massive year in Grand Rapids at the same age as almost a PPG player the year before. Tatar went to Grand Rapids as a youngster and had impressive success. In the same time frame especially with a fall birthday Zetterberg was perhaps the best player outside the NHL in Sweden after helping gain promotion the year before. Zetterberg's three year run after his draft was meteoric and he was very well known even before making the Olympic team before coming over. I think Nyquist finished in the top 3 in the Hobey Baker at the same age but he might have been slightly older.

I am happy with what Hronek is doing. It isn't earth shattering, but it is really solid stuff. What is encouraging is almost every player we have named went on to have successful NHL careers and some of them had incredible ones. What I am hopeful for is that he doesn't take a step back next year like Svechnikov who had a very good rookie campaign last year for us in the AHL.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Grigs would have suffered his injury in this coming summer if we are lining up the ages I believe. The point being he was a lot bigger deal as a prospect. Granted his defense was abysmal but Ryan Sproul was winning the OHL D-man of the year at this same age juncture. Hudler was enjoying a massive year in Grand Rapids at the same age as almost a PPG player the year before. Tatar went to Grand Rapids as a youngster and had impressive success. In the same time frame especially with a fall birthday Zetterberg was perhaps the best player outside the NHL in Sweden after helping gain promotion the year before. Zetterberg's three year run after his draft was meteoric and he was very well known even before making the Olympic team before coming over. I think Nyquist finished in the top 3 in the Hobey Baker at the same age but he might have been slightly older.

I am happy with what Hronek is doing. It isn't earth shattering, but it is really solid stuff. What is encouraging is almost every player we have named went on to have successful NHL careers and some of them had incredible ones. What I am hopeful for is that he doesn't take a step back next year like Svechnikov who had a very good rookie campaign last year for us in the AHL.
I don't think being the best OHL defenseman is as promising as being the best Griffs' d-men. Hudler had a very promising rookie campaign with the Griffs (although I wouldn't call it massive). He was actually younger than Hronek is now, then and he followed it up with a disappointing sophmore season. And there was always concern that his success at lower levels may not translate to the NHL because of his lack of size and speed. Tatar wasn't nearly as impressive as Hronek is. Zetterberg wasn't drafted his first year that he was eligible for the draft and I thought that he was older than Hronek is now before he began to dominate the Swedish league. I give you that one as well. I am pretty sure Nyquist was older as well but I think being the best Griffs' d-man is more promising than being a Hobey Baker finalist.

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
So the end game of this convo is that, prospects eb and flow, they do good, than they struggle.

Than either they good or they bust.

---

Any updates/article on Pope?

Reactions: Konnan511

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Only if you think "reality" is exactly what Button thinks. Philippe Myers is a better prospect than Hronek? Please. Kiefer Bellows is ~top 20 and Rasmussen is barely top 50? Okay. German Rubtsov is a top 50 prospect? Close-to-being-a-bust Alex Nylander at 25? 3 goalies in the top 10 is also something I could never agree with, but then again I think mixing skaters and goalies is dumb to begin with.

Oh, of course Button sucks. He doesn't have a bunch of your favorite team's players at the top.

Get a grip.

I've yet to find a reputable prospect writer who has a lot of Red Wing draft picks on their list.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

So for Hronek, this year is what?
His 19-20 season?
Hronek 19-20, Grand Rapids, 7-19-26
Kronwall, 19-20, Djurgarden, 1-9-10, WJC - 5 games 0-1-1
Kindl, 19-20, Kitchen 11-44-55, WJC 6 games 0-4-4 (captain)
Smith, 19-20, University of Wisconsin, 2-10-12,
Saarijarvi, 19-20, Missisauga, 11-20-31 (34 games), WJC 6 games 2-2-4
Cholowski, 19-20, WHL 54 games 14-41-55,
Xavier Ouellet - Q, 10-31-41, WJC 1-2-3
Adam Almquist, HV71, 52 games 0-16-16, WJC 2-2-4

The Wings haven't had a defenseman come to GR and produce at 19-20 as long as they've had a GR affiliate. Now, Hronek is probably among the older guys in his draft year and his birthday falls at the beginning of the year instead of the end.

So there's a lot of apples to oranges comparisons. Especially considering we're only comparing points and we've heard from GR watchers that his defensive zone coverage is very weak.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Oh, of course Button sucks. He doesn't have a bunch of your favorite team's players at the top.

Get a grip.

I've yet to find a reputable prospect writer who has a lot of Red Wing draft picks on their list.
Did I say Wings prospects should be at the top or ”a lot” of them should be on a top 50 list?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So for Hronek, this year is what?
His 19-20 season?
Hronek 19-20, Grand Rapids, 7-19-26
Kronwall, 19-20, Djurgarden, 1-9-10, WJC - 5 games 0-1-1
Kindl, 19-20, Kitchen 11-44-55, WJC 6 games 0-4-4 (captain)
Smith, 19-20, University of Wisconsin, 2-10-12,
Saarijarvi, 19-20, Missisauga, 11-20-31 (34 games), WJC 6 games 2-2-4
Cholowski, 19-20, WHL 54 games 14-41-55,
Xavier Ouellet - Q, 10-31-41, WJC 1-2-3
Adam Almquist, HV71, 52 games 0-16-16, WJC 2-2-4

The Wings haven't had a defenseman come to GR and produce at 19-20 as long as they've had a GR affiliate. Now, Hronek is probably among the older guys in his draft year and his birthday falls at the beginning of the year instead of the end.

So there's a lot of apples to oranges comparisons. Especially considering we're only comparing points and we've heard from GR watchers that his defensive zone coverage is very weak.

Did you even read the post I was responding to or the one you have quoted above.

I listed Fischer as the only D-man there anyway.

Yes lots of apples to oranges, but my comparison was to be as good at this age since Fedorov. Surely you can see the problem with that statement?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yay Lindstrom!

LightheartedCarelessAnchovy-size_restricted.gif

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Libor Sulak has been playing real good in the Finnish league (27 pts in 35 games) :

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Libor Sulak has been playing real good in the Finnish league (27 pts in 35 games) :

No he hasn't been playing good overall. Guy shoots the puck a lot yeah. But that's nothing special for a 23-year-old.

I've seen his games a lot. As I said earlier, he is "poor man's Brendan Smith". Offensive mistake-machine, who plays losing hockey. Stat-queen, who doesn't pass the eye-test.

I don't have any future hopes for him, but if we can use him as a trade bait (for a pick or as a sweetener in another trade), that would be pretty much maximizing his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad