Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
He has brady in his name. There’s no way he can fail.

With the weakest and youngest team in the OHL this season, Brady Gilmour needs more than his name to succeed. Going to be a tough year for this young player to catch the Detroit eyes for an entry level contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
From the Athletic (paywall) :

Keith Petruzzelli, G, Detroit: Petruzzelli was fantastic in the game vs. BU, keeping Quinnipiac in it while the scoring chances kept coming. He moves incredibly well for a 6-foot-5 goalie and while at times he was a little all over the place, but often he gathered himself to angle off shooters well and square up pucks. Toronto prospect Joseph Woll and Dallas prospect Jake Oettinger likely have the USA net held down at the World Juniors, but I wouldn’t hold that against Petruzzelli due to age differences.

And, because a lot of people here where bitter when Rasmussen over Vilardi, looks like he's been severely hindered by an injury :

Gabriel Vilardi, C, Los Angeles: The 11th overall pick missed Canada’s junior camp and LA’s training camp with an injury, vaguely described as some sort of back/hip ailment. The early word was that holding him out was precautionary, but I’ve heard over the summer and fall hints from NHL people that it could be a serious injury. The Kings may be holding out hope he can make a turnaround as they haven’t publicly provided an update or any recent indication to the severity. Given where we are on the calendar, Vilardi’s injury situation is going from a minor fact to a potential problem.

As always tough to play doctor, but this sounds like Sports hernia diagnosis is about to be coming down for Vilardi.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rasmussen with a goal and assist on the winning goal in OT last night. Both on the man advantage.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Rasmussen with a goal and assist on the winning goal in OT last night. Both on the man advantage.

I had my first viewing of the season on Tuesday night as I watched the Americans get walloped 8-2 by Victoria. Rasmussen finished -3, winning 68% of his face-offs with 1 sog and I’ll tell you that stat line alone would leave you with the wrong impression of Rasmussen. Opening face-off, he wins it clean to his Dman who moves it up to the winger who subsequently turns the puck over creating an odd man rush. The final outcome was a goal 10 seconds into the game as the Americans Dman knocks the puck into his own goal. Later in the period an Americans forward skips the back check for a late change sending Rasmussen out behind the play and the Royals pot one. The third goal against left me wanting to see more commitment on the defensive side. He had himself in position to break up a play off the rush but ultimately failed to take the man or successfully intercept the puck. I felt a little more effort to take the body could have cleaned the whole sequence up.

On the other side of the ice he came exactly as advertised. Tri-City’s scored 2 PP goals with Rasmussen parked at the front of the net causing havoc. At net front he was extremely effective at stealing body position from the D and making life hell for the goalie. From there his size combined with a strong first stride allowed him to quickly get on loose pucks in corners and behind the net. One play really stood out where he took the puck from the half wall and beat a couple defenders as her crashed the net with possession. Unfortunately Victoria’s goalie made a nice save stopping Rasmussen in tight but it was an impressive sequence.

Watching him off the rush was interesting. There was one play were he over skated the puck while trying to exit the D-zone while receiving a pass. He nearly did it again but then he pulled a Datsyuk-esque play where he reached like 8 feet behind himself to corral a loose puck and gain possession. He ended up dumping the puck in deep after a long shift. He had a nice rushing beating one defender outside and again crashing the net. He tried to use his size to reach around the goalie and tuck the puck in but the other defender got back and broke up the play with a well-timed stick check.
I thought he showed some flashes where he could dominate but he is a big guy in Junior and I need to see more consistency.

I had my own hockey game last night so I unfortunately missed Wednesday nights game.

Reactions: martinez

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I had my first viewing of the season on Tuesday night as I watched the Americans get walloped 8-2 by Victoria. Rasmussen finished -3, winning 68% of his face-offs with 1 sog and I’ll tell you that stat line alone would leave you with the wrong impression of Rasmussen. Opening face-off, he wins it clean to his Dman who moves it up to the winger who subsequently turns the puck over creating an odd man rush. The final outcome was a goal 10 seconds into the game as the Americans Dman knocks the puck into his own goal. Later in the period an Americans forward skips the back check for a late change sending Rasmussen out behind the play and the Royals pot one. The third goal against left me wanting to see more commitment on the defensive side. He had himself in position to break up a play off the rush but ultimately failed to take the man or successfully intercept the puck. I felt a little more effort to take the body could have cleaned the whole sequence up.

On the other side of the ice he came exactly as advertised. Tri-City’s scored 2 PP goals with Rasmussen parked at the front of the net causing havoc. At net front he was extremely effective at stealing body position from the D and making life hell for the goalie. From there his size combined with a strong first stride allowed him to quickly get on loose pucks in corners and behind the net. One play really stood out where he took the puck from the half wall and beat a couple defenders as her crashed the net with possession. Unfortunately Victoria’s goalie made a nice save stopping Rasmussen in tight but it was an impressive sequence.

Watching him off the rush was interesting. There was one play were he over skated the puck while trying to exit the D-zone while receiving a pass. He nearly did it again but then he pulled a Datsyuk-esque play where he reached like 8 feet behind himself to corral a loose puck and gain possession. He ended up dumping the puck in deep after a long shift. He had a nice rushing beating one defender outside and again crashing the net. He tried to use his size to reach around the goalie and tuck the puck in but the other defender got back and broke up the play with a well-timed stick check.
I thought he showed some flashes where he could dominate but he is a big guy in Junior and I need to see more consistency.

I had my own hockey game last night so I unfortunately missed Wednesday nights game.

Thanks for the write-up.

I had a site for WHL games last year that was taken down :( ... struggling to find a way to watch these kids this year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I was too busy looking for the part about how he's improved his playmaking game, especially at ES.

It’s kind of a chicken or the egg scenario. To some extent, he has been pigeon-holed into a very specific role. Is that because he struggles to do more? or is he just too damn effective at what he is already doing? I lean towards the latter. In the game I watched he “contributed” to 2 goals without even touching the puck. I’m sure it’s difficult for any coach to move a huge, effective net front presence out to the half wall or point. Still that doesn’t mean he is incapable of more.

That said, Rasmussen wasn’t drafted to play like Drouin, Ehlers or McDavid. If you’re hoping to see their styles’ as his top attributes you will forever be disappointed. That shouldn’t distract from his bread and butter beneath the face-off dots where he can make plays for himself and his teammates.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Gallant with an assist and won 17/22 face offs.

Kid projects nicely to be at least a face off wiz and shut down guy.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Chase Perry stopped 56 of 57 shots in their 1-1 tie. Not bad!

Other goalies strong too - Fulcher 32/34 svs, Larsson 23/24 svs.

First NCAA point for Jack (John?) Adams, an assist.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Rasmussen 1 goal and 2 primary assists all at even strength tonight.

Cholowski with a PP goal

Gallant with an assist and went 15/21 in the dot

Reactions: Leronziia

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rasmussen 1 goal and 2 primary assists all at even strength tonight.

Cholowski with a PP goal

Gallant with an assist and went 15/21 in the dot

He had 2 primary assists at ES all of last year, for comparison.

So this is good.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
2 goals for Gilmour last night too
Sambrook 1A
Ehn 1A
Perry 27/28 saves
Pope 1A

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

So this is good.
I had forgotten his numbers were that bad. Woah. Still if he's better this year that's a good thing regardless of last year. 3 ES points in one game is certainly good for him.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

So this is good.

He had 3 primary ES assists last year. He had quite a bit more the year before though. I still think people were reading a bit to much into it. He already has 3 primary ES assists on the year (6 games)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone got an update on how Larsson is doing?

2-0 for Tri-City.

.957 sv% and 1.01 GAA

He had 3 primary ES assists last year. He had quite a bit more the year before though. I still think people were reading a bit to much into it. He already has 3 primary ES assists on the year (6 games)

Hm, thought I remembered it being 2, but I’ll take your word for it. ES production and assist production were my biggest concerns, so good to see he’s doing well there.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
2-0 for Tri-City.

.957 sv% and 1.01 GAA

Hm, thought I remembered it being 2, but I’ll take your word for it. ES production and assist production were my biggest concerns, so good to see he’s doing well there.

I don't think it really matters. I had just checked that Canucks Army article from a while back before posting, because I was pretty sure he had tied it at 3. According to the article he had 3 primary ES assists. But really the difference between 2 and 3 is nothing. Just glad he is producing more this year.

Is it weird that he has 4 goals in 6 games and I feel like I'm still waiting for the goals to come? After the preseason I felt that he was going to be scoring in bunches back in juniors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad