Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Talk 2018-19: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
They uploaded it on YouTube today

The Yzerman section was great. Gave some good insight into his thought process, more than I'd expect honestly. Mentioned Buffalo being in on Seider again. Seems like you can infer they had Johanssom higher on their board than Mastrosimone, but thought Mastrosimone would go before their next pick and wanted a forward.

The four person panel on the other hand was just bad. They need to silence Art

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Yzerman section was great. Gave some good insight into his thought process, more than I'd expect honestly. Mentioned Buffalo being in on Seider again. Seems like you can infer they had Johanssom higher on their board than Mastrosimone, but thought Mastrosimone would go before their next pick and wanted a forward.

The four person panel on the other hand was just bad. They need to silence Art

I would be ready to pay for Mute-mode for Regner too.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
In all fairness, I'm frequently astounded at how bad NHL presenters etc are across the board. Some of the play by play guys and the 'colour' guys are really great, but the vast majority of overall coverage, not just of the wings is really bad. Art Regner has the most annoying voice and rambles like an amateur. That said, you look at the local beat writers and despair too. When you stumble across a good NHL journalist, writer or presenter it reminds you how bad so many others are. I mean, I know being a black presenter in a mostly white sport with a history of racism is a hard gig, but has Trevor Thompson ever said anything interesting at all?

Ken Daniels and Micky are great though. Easy to listen to, entertaining and for most part, know their stuff in what is the most difficult media gig.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
In all fairness, I'm frequently astounded at how bad NHL presenters etc are across the board. Some of the play by play guys and the 'colour' guys are really great, but the vast majority of overall coverage, not just of the wings is really bad. Art Regner has the most annoying voice and rambles like an amateur. That said, you look at the local beat writers and despair too. When you stumble across a good NHL journalist, writer or presenter it reminds you how bad so many others are. I mean, I know being a black presenter in a mostly white sport with a history of racism is a hard gig, but has Trevor Thompson ever said anything interesting at all?

Ken Daniels and Micky are great though. Easy to listen to, entertaining and for most part, know their stuff in what is the most difficult media gig.

Trevor Thompson is there to promote the Red Wings brand, interview players, and do cheesy puff pieces on the team. One can only make those things so interesting....they are going to be boring no matter who the person is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trevor Thompson is there to promote the Red Wings brand, interview players, and do cheesy puff pieces on the team. One can only make those things so interesting....they are going to be boring no matter who the person is.

This segment was fun:

Reactions: HisNoodliness

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

I realise his function massively limits him, but that stickhandling segment with Dats was literally the only thing he's done that I remember. Maybe its coming from the perspective if a sports fan from a country without a franchise model, but most mainstream NHL coverage is either mind numbingly bland or barely competent. I give hats off to Ken Daniels, Micky Redmond and to a degree Ken Kal because play by play and actually offering something as a play by play colour guy is genuinely very difficult, and they manage to make it entertaining and reasonably informative, but much of the rest league wide is just poor, and the studio guys are trying so hard to avoid saying anything that could be controversial that its just meaningless dead space.

Its just a shame when hockey is such a multifaceted game, and there ARE excellent writers out there, that so much of the coverage is inane and poor. If its the team and league PR that don't allow for any actual depth or debate, what are they scared of? There are so many knowledgeable hockey ex pros etc out there, surely some can offer more than we're getting and still be 'safe'? Don Cherry may be a mad old borderline racist, but surely there are younger, less socially out of touch versions of him out there? I guess the lack of neutral coverage just makes for less good coverage.

That said, I'd listen to Trevor saying nothing for an hour over 10 minutes of Art Regner who shouldn't be anywhere near broadcasting of any sort.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Someone tell the organization about Regner, I don't think they know.

How could they not, though?

He stutters through what would be the open silence thus saving himself... He was so bad question wise during the recent podcast with Larkin that I had to turn it off. He kept calling him captain even after Larkin flat out said it is getting kind of annoying.

I like Trevor a lot actually. I think him and Osgood have both gotten better and better as time went on. I will miss Eliot this year. Really only Keating and Regner bother me in terms of on air talent. A full season of Murph should be ridiculous:laugh:

Larry Murphy is actually bad but in a spectacular I want to watch way...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He stutters through what would be the open silence thus saving himself... He was so bad question wise during the recent podcast with Larkin that I had to turn it off. He kept calling him captain even after Larkin flat out said it is getting kind of annoying.

I like Trevor a lot actually. I think him and Osgood have both gotten better and better as time went on. I will miss Eliot this year. Really only Keating and Regner bother me in terms of on air talent. A full season of Murph should be ridiculous:laugh:

Larry Murphy is actually bad but in a spectacular I want to watch way...

Murphy is bad but hes entertaining if that makes any sense. He says funny shit and can actually chime in at times with some hockey knowledge. He might not be the most professional but really who cares? When he does games with Mickey and Ken I end up more entertained than when its someone like Osgood or Keating

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Murphy is bad but hes entertaining if that makes any sense. He says funny **** and can actually chime in at times with some hockey knowledge. He might not be the most professional but really who cares? When he does games with Mickey and Ken I end up more entertained than when its someone like Osgood or Keating
I would very happily listen to Mickey and Ken with Murph between the benches for 82 games a season if I could.

I think Trev and Osgood are tolerable, but man Keating has got to go!

Reactions: decaguard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Murphy is bad but hes entertaining if that makes any sense. He says funny **** and can actually chime in at times with some hockey knowledge. He might not be the most professional but really who cares? When he does games with Mickey and Ken I end up more entertained than when its someone like Osgood or Keating

He is always interesting and frankly in game 57 of 82 when Murph is off the deep-end while it is pretty clear Daniels and Mickey are encouraging it to get worse I am laughing. Home broadcasts aren't national broadcasts. What I realized with Murph gone is that while yes at times he makes me angry, by in large he is more of a net positive to my viewings than a negative.

I really liked Eliot in both the booth and intermission. That was really the only rough part for me, I think he is excellent. In fact I think Vegas is really missing the boat not having him also involved in their broadcast with his role there. Still I do look forward to the FSD team this year. I would love a Keating replacement, not the biggest Mickey York guy but would easily take him over Keating. Man HD has not been kind to Keating either.... I really do think we have a wonderful broadcast. Yeah they are homers, but they are a lot of fun and they treat the game like an event each time. I really appreciate that, we are blessed in my opinion as a fan-base in terms of we have great guys to tune into for each game.

I will say since I am totally off-topic, good job keeping that discussion flowing correctly mod.... Of all the ex-wings guys, Manny Legacy is the best tv guy I have seen. I could listen to him do color on a game every night. I hope the goalie coach thing works out for him, but seriously wish he was the road guy in terms of Wings broadcasts, loved when he did college games for the B1G network.

topdawg

Jan 17, 2016
Does anybody think Patrick Holway will ever make the wings. In development camp I thought he looked big and I can see him having a bit of a mean streak, the guy seems he can get aggressive. Any chance he will ever make it to the show or chances are slim?

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Does anybody think Patrick Holway will ever make the wings. In development camp I thought he looked big and I can see him having a bit of a mean streak, the guy seems he can get aggressive. Any chance he will ever make it to the show or chances are slim?

Just commented in another thread.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Where?

Patrick Holway at eliteprospects.com

What was that NCAA transfer year? I haven't seen anybody doing that before, from hockey prospects.
In collegiate sports, if you transfer to a new college, you must sit our one year before you can play sports for the new team. On very very year occasions, you can transfer and play immediately (ie graduating and going on to get your masters at a different college, a scandal breaks out and you want to GTFO, or the coach that recruited dips out before you even get to campus or shortly after). This prevents recruits from transferring willy-nilly anytime they want because there coach is a meanie, or they aren't getting enough playing time, or they want to win a Championship before they graduate and create a powerhouse team.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
Transfer terms

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
He is always interesting and frankly in game 57 of 82 when Murph is off the deep-end while it is pretty clear Daniels and Mickey are encouraging it to get worse I am laughing. Home broadcasts aren't national broadcasts. What I realized with Murph gone is that while yes at times he makes me angry, by in large he is more of a net positive to my viewings than a negative.

I really liked Eliot in both the booth and intermission.

Totally agree with all this. Murph isn't really ideal as the main colour guy, but as a 3rd wheel to Ken Daniels and Mickey he's a great fit, because his loose cannon approach is genuinely entertaining and occasionally very insightful. When you hear him speak you don't often think HOF-er, but then he'll come out with odd bit of gold.

Eliot was pretty good at making a dull job seem engaging.

Back on Topic...has anyone heard a prognosis for Jack Adams recovery time? A real shame as he had a strong development camp

Reactions: decaguard

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
So I think the Wings lost the rights to Van Pottelberghe (drafted in 2015)? Him not being at the development camp also points towards that. I guess Larsson's development, JvP's difficult season and the overall depth in the DET system makes this not such a big deal. Would have been nice to see him play as a legit starter in a major league though before losing his rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad