GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Los Angeles Kings | 10/7/2018 | 10:30PM ET | FSD

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think this game will be an interesting test for our young players.

Excited to see how they do tonight :D

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
We need to play a stronger overall possession game. That's all there is to it. I wouldn't touch line combos much until the ~10 game mark at least when things start to settle in.
Yeah I'm with this too. Sometimes you need to be patient and let guys accustom to each other.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Kings' Jonathan Quick sustains lower-body injury in practice - Sportsnet.ca

J.Quick out for LA, Jack Campbell to start tonight...this should even the playing field a bit since Green is out. Bernier can get hot/cold a la Jimmy, or any tender. Kronner & Big E could be addition by subtraction sometime this year. Team stat lines are almost identical, albeit a miniscule sample size.

Our D pairings should be better w/ L & R combos throughout. Jensen vs. Hicketts is a toss up, as arguements could be made for both.

I think the DDK-Hronek pairing could surprise in a good way, as they complement each others skill sets.

Cholo-Green could be our new top pairing in 1-2 months, hopefully Cholo/Hronek/Sulak all stay up the entire year & we somehow manage to trade Jensen + Big E/Daley soon.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think it’s a decent decision. 4 rookies on D is a bit much. At least while they all have <10 games under their belt.

A good point if the Wings actually had some decent vets. They don't. They have DeKeyser, Green and Kronwall who, because of health issues, isn't more than a 3rd pairing anymore. Cholowski, Sulak and Hicketts are much better than any of the other defenders in the system. Maybe Hronek is, too. Daley, Ericsson and Jensen (in particular) are beyond bad. No no other way to put it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kings' Jonathan Quick sustains lower-body injury in practice - Sportsnet.ca

J.Quick out for LA, Jack Campbell to start tonight...this should even the playing field a bit since Green is out. Bernier can get hot/cold a la Jimmy, or any tender. Kronner & Big E could be addition by subtraction sometime this year. Team stat lines are almost identical, albeit a miniscule sample size.

Our D pairings should be better w/ L & R combos throughout. Jensen vs. Hicketts is a toss up, as arguements could be made for both.

I think the DDK-Hronek pairing could surprise in a good way, as they complement each others skill sets.

Cholo-Green could be our new top pairing in 1-2 months, hopefully Cholo/Hronek/Sulak all stay up the entire year & we somehow manage to trade Jensen + Big E/Daley soon.

Zero arguments you could make for Jensen. He's a good skater but otherwise bad at pretty much everything. He always was...just that Blashill and co. haven't realized yet. Or what am I missing here? Jensen was the worst defenseman in pretty much every game I watched. Ericsson may move in slow motion and score an own goal every other game but he's still better than Jensen. Worst Wings defender since Sproul is finally gone.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Sunday, is there a specific reason this is still a 10:30 start? cause I feel like this couldve been alot earlier. Im not overly worried about Hicketts yet, he was pretty underwhelming during the Home Opener, plus im sure he'll be back in the lineup sooner than later. I just hope they actually can sustain some pressure in the offensive zone tonight, thursday was bad.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If not for me working late I probably don't even catch the first period.

Second game of the season being on a Sunday after 10 is brutal.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Tbh Hicketts can go back to GR.

Still cannot believe the coach said he was the best young defenseman coming out of preseason.

I have a more clear mind than a Blash even while drunk it seems...

I actually like Jensen more than him and I don’t even like him that much as a player.

I’ve said it multiple times now, I don’t like small defenseman because they get easily punished and taken advantage of. The good ones are rare.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Tbh Hicketts can go back to GR.

Still cannot believe the coach said he was the best young defenseman coming out of preseason.

I have a more clear mind than a Blash even while drunk it seems...

I actually like Jensen more than him and I don’t even like him that much as a player.

I’ve said it multiple times now, I don’t like small defenseman because they get easily punished and taken advantage of. The good ones are rare.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

I tend to root for smaller guys for some reason (I'm not small, but I'm not big, I just like the underdog), and honestly I wish Hicketts were right-handed; that would render Jensen completely obsolete. I think given a season or two exclusively in the bigs, Hicketts will be more effective than Jensen overall.

Will that make him worthy of a spot as one of the 7 best D in the Wings organ-I-zation? Only time will tell.

Sunday, is there a specific reason this is still a 10:30 start? cause I feel like this couldve been alot earlier.

I agree, a game vs an Eastern conference team on Sunday? That just screams "matinee."

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He didn't. He said that after a couple games. At the end of preseason Blash said Cholowski was the best young D man.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Why is Abby always gotta be in the top 6? He should be on the 4th line. Put Bert up there. Like the d pairings. Jensen while only slight upgrade over Hicketts, it's his experience that helps us there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad