OT: Detroit Red Wings Jersey Help

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Hi guys,

Good game yesterday!

I come with a question about Nike Red Wings jerseys. I bought an authentic Fedorov one, but when it did arrive in the mail the numbers seemed off on the back. I asked on a few other forums and no one really had a good answer for these jerseys. The numbers and letters only on the back are thinner and the way they were cut seems off. The only answer I had was that teams used local businesses sometimes, which I know, but I feel like looking at pictures of Fedorov jerseys, the numbers were thicker and the letters were not as... skinny, if that makes sense.

Would any of you guys and girls know about that, or why it is that common? Anything would be appreciated, thanks so much

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hi guys,

Good game yesterday!

I come with a question about Nike Red Wings jerseys. I bought an authentic Fedorov one, but when it did arrive in the mail the numbers seemed off on the back. I asked on a few other forums and no one really had a good answer for these jerseys. The numbers and letters only on the back are thinner and the way they were cut seems off. The only answer I had was that teams used local businesses sometimes, which I know, but I feel like looking at pictures of Fedorov jerseys, the numbers were thicker and the letters were not as... skinny, if that makes sense.

Would any of you guys and girls know about that, or why it is that common? Anything would be appreciated, thanks so much

I know the Wings have had issues whenever companies change, they were the only ones that had their player assistant captains and captains displayed on one side of their jersey for a while. Some of it is the iconic winged wheel is a struggle for a lot of companies throughout history.

When buying this stuff online and I am not a big collector of these items but I have a friend that likes this stuff a great deal still, there are generally third party authentication people involved. That or you are getting it through official league areas. Counterfeit jerseys from China are a big thing, honestly they have actually gotten pretty good at it but if you were after a game worn or something of that nature you want to be very sure who you are purchasing from.

To my knowledge and memory we were tied to CCM from the time I was little until the transfer to Reebok that went league wide. While Fedorov was the official face of Nike hockey, I don't think any Nike jersey was actually NHL sanctioned in terms of the Wings if that makes sense. So they likely altered things like the lettering to be allowed. Really the NHL was the last of the big boy sports to really crack down on this, they had uniform codes but previous to Reebok in the early 2000's which purchased Koho and somebody else they weren't beholden to one company. So it is complicated, not sure that helps but that is my best guess at it from what I sort of remember. I could be wrong hopefully some others chime in merchandise isn't one of my strongest areas as I have never been a huge collector of it.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The Red Wings for years have used Sports Haven in Wyandotte to customize their jerseys. I have been sending my Wings jerseys to them for years for customization.

It would be pretty easy to strip it and have it redone if your numbers are thinner than they are supposed to be. Wouldn't even require that you clean it up after probably, because you would just be covering up and glue residue left over.

If you don't want to strip it yourself, I'd suggest Exclusive Pro Sports. They're in Rockford Illinois, but they will customize anything and do it right. They're not very quick though, so expect to be waiting for months (I'm talking like six) and it costing about $100 to strip and customize it properly. That probably won't include shipping.

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
Can you post pics of the jersey in question? Hard to say for sure without that. There is a great hockey jersey sub on Reddit that can answer a lot of questions too.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah, please post photos. It would be a lot easier if we could see the jersey in question.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I know the Wings have had issues whenever companies change, they were the only ones that had their player assistant captains and captains displayed on one side of their jersey for a while. Some of it is the iconic winged wheel is a struggle for a lot of companies throughout history.

When buying this stuff online and I am not a big collector of these items but I have a friend that likes this stuff a great deal still, there are generally third party authentication people involved. That or you are getting it through official league areas. Counterfeit jerseys from China are a big thing, honestly they have actually gotten pretty good at it but if you were after a game worn or something of that nature you want to be very sure who you are purchasing from.

To my knowledge and memory we were tied to CCM from the time I was little until the transfer to Reebok that went league wide. While Fedorov was the official face of Nike hockey, I don't think any Nike jersey was actually NHL sanctioned in terms of the Wings if that makes sense. So they likely altered things like the lettering to be allowed. Really the NHL was the last of the big boy sports to really crack down on this, they had uniform codes but previous to Reebok in the early 2000's which purchased Koho and somebody else they weren't beholden to one company. So it is complicated, not sure that helps but that is my best guess at it from what I sort of remember. I could be wrong hopefully some others chime in merchandise isn't one of my strongest areas as I have never been a huge collector of it.

There was a brief period there in the late 90's that they had Nike NHL jerseys. It's odd because Dallas has CCM but Detroit has Nike. You'd think they'd have the same manufacturer league wide. You can see the Swoosh on Yzerman's jersey as Hatcher is laying the smackdown on him lol. This picture is from the 1998 Conference Finals. They had Nike jerseys from 1996-1999.

gettyimages-81354539-1024x1024.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There was a brief period there in the late 90's that they had Nike NHL jerseys. It's odd because Dallas has CCM but Detroit has Nike. You'd think they'd have the same manufacturer league wide. You can see the Swoosh on Yzerman's jersey as Hatcher is laying the smackdown on him lol. This picture is from the 1998 Conference Finals. They had Nike jerseys from 1996-1999.

View attachment 153859

Well there you go, I forgot they did Nike as a team. Sort of amazing they could still bounce between companies right until the early 2000s.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Post a photo and we can definitely help you.

I'm ridiculously fussy about the lettering on a Wings jersey, as I'm sure many here are, so we'll be able to help spot what's going on with your sweater.

The Wings have a unique font that you'll notice has letters individually crafted for each character, depending on length of name, to create the arch over the number. In short, this makes it pretty easy to spot a shoddy job.

Right now you're saying they look thinner, but I'm not sure compared to what.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Teams really didnt have a league wide vendor til late late 90's -early 2000's. At one point in the 90's, you have jerseys made by Nike, Starter, Pro Player, CCM and Koho.

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
Teams really didnt have a league wide vendor til late late 90's -early 2000's. At one point in the 90's, you have jerseys made by Nike, Starter, Pro Player, CCM and Koho.
Yup, until the first League wide sponsorship in 2000, teams all cut their own deals with local suppliers.

Kloppe10

Nov 19, 2018
Hello everyone! I'm from Finland and now I'm in DC on holiday. So there is on friday Wings@Capitals game and I don't have a Wings jersey... We tried to find here jerseys but did'nt get it so is there anyone who can help me...? If someone is going to watch game from Detroit, can you bring me a jersey or can I find it from here DC?

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I want to get one of these. I looked everywhere online for them about a year ago and could only find red ones instead of the white (I have a few Red jerseys already and prefer the white in these).

tumblr_ovz67jZrRY1s0wzy9o1_500.png

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Hello everyone! I'm from Finland and now I'm in DC on holiday. So there is on friday Wings@Capitals game and I don't have a Wings jersey... We tried to find here jerseys but did'nt get it so is there anyone who can help me...? If someone is going to watch game from Detroit, can you bring me a jersey or can I find it from here DC?

I live near DC and would be happy to sell you one, I have a whole closet full of them. I mostly have authentic stuff but I don't know what size you are looking for or what you are trying to spend, most of them are unworn though. I don't have any of the newer Adidas style though but tons of Reebok and older stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad