Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Anthony Mantha - RW/LW - 21: 6'5" 214lbs - Longueuil, QC, CAN 54.81%
2.) Andreas Athanasiou - C/W - 21: 6'2" 200lbs - London, ON, CAN 77.36%
3.) Evgeny Svechnikov - C/W - 19: 6'2" 205lbs - Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, RUS 53.64%
4.) Dennis Cholowski - D - 18: 6'1" 177lbs - Langley, BC, CAN 67.92%
5.) Tyler Bertuzzi - LW - 21: 6'1" 190lbs - Sudbury, ON, CAN 30.51%
6.) Dylan Sadowy - LW - 20: 6'1" 195lbs - Woodbridge, ON, CAN 32.63%

Dylan Sadowy wins this round. Martin Frk won the add.

As always vote, offer an add if you have one, and discuss.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Vili again. Add Pearson, I have a good feeling about him...

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
In my opinion XO was the Griffins best D-man last year.

Yep. He's easy to overlook, given his unimpressive physical attributes (average size, below average skating and terrible shot), but he has consistently been the best of the Ouellet/Marchenko/Sproul/Jensen quartet since they arrived in Grand Rapids (which is even more impressive when you consider that he is also the youngest of the four).

I think there are similarities in his game to Anton Stralman, another player who underwhelms based on traits alone yet always seems to push play in the right direction. He's not going to hit Stralman's level (or even close to that), but I'd give him the best chance of ultimately becoming a top-4 NHL defensemen among his cohorts (even ahead of Marchenko).

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I have more faith in a NHL future for Ehn than I do Holmstrom at the moment.

Maybe, though I feel like Holmstrom's high was a bit higher than Ehn's. I don't think there's really a guy on the list I'd take Ehn over, right now, but maybe it's just NA bias, in me thinking that he's not very exciting.

It's always interesting to hear someone who's really a fan of a guy I don't think highly of explain their rationale, though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Maybe, though I feel like Holmstrom's high was a bit higher than Ehn's. I don't think there's really a guy on the list I'd take Ehn over, right now, but maybe it's just NA bias, in me thinking that he's not very exciting.

It's always interesting to hear someone who's really a fan of a guy I don't think highly of explain their rationale, though.

Being a big guy who skates well is a pretty good recipe for making the NHL to be honest.

At the end of the day, Holmstrom can't skate. There just aren't many benders in today's game.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think there's an argument to be made that the folks still on this list are a crapshoot to be anything special and that's why it's hard to pick one over the other. I've already gone on record as favoring Sproul's ceiling, but he also didn't put anything together until last season. Villi is leading the votes now and he's got some nice skills, but he's small at a position that doesn't favor small guys. Smith is a question mark, XO hasn't been able to take that next step, Holmstrom has skating issues and is now coming back from a knee injury, etc.

It feels like we're at a point where we're really just rolling the dice.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Being a big guy who skates well is a pretty good recipe for making the NHL to be honest.

At the end of the day, Holmstrom can't skate. There just aren't many benders in today's game.

No disagreement, I like Holmstrom and want him to succeed, but I think he's in a list of a few guys who could make it (but who probably won't). Ehn is just interesting to me, maybe because I don't hear anything about him for 99% of every year.

I think there's an argument to be made that the folks still on this list are a crapshoot to be anything special and that's why it's hard to pick one over the other. I've already gone on record as favoring Sproul's ceiling, but he also didn't put anything together until last season. Villi is leading the votes now and he's got some nice skills, but he's small at a position that doesn't favor small guys. Smith is a question mark, XO hasn't been able to take that next step, Holmstrom has skating issues and is now coming back from a knee injury, etc.

It feels like we're at a point where we're really just rolling the dice.

Absolutely agree, I sort of prefer Russo here, but I think it's entirely because he's "unknown", in comparison to XO and Sproul, and because I just can't imagine a 5'8"ish, 160lb defenseman ever really making it in the NHL (at this point). But, if we're being honest, I might as well prefer one of them because I flipped a coin a few times.

I feel like our prospect pool has a lot of depth, but basically no quality, once you get past a couple of names. For a team that hasn't really been raiding the farm, lately, that's a bit concerning to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad