Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings #6 Overall Pick - Part Deux

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I really don't know if it would be that crazy to take Cam York at #6.... I do like him a lot.
I'd say don't overthink it. He's been in that second tier of defensemen all season. If Detroit ended up trading down into the 8-12 range, then maybe, depending on what they hoped to use their additional trade assets for. But assuming they stay at 6, I think only Byram has the overall resume to sway them to defense.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd say don't overthink it. He's been in that second tier of defensemen all season. If Detroit ended up trading down into the 8-12 range, then maybe, depending on what they hoped to use their additional trade assets for. But assuming they stay at 6, I think only Byram has the overall resume to sway them to defense.

Should he be ranked where he has been? Is he higher on some team’s boards than what we have seen?

I don’t know. I like his game a lot.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Arya Stark seems like a personality fit for the Wings. She’s technically an over ager now, but I’d gamble on it.

As far as the York thing, he’s got the defense thing working for him. I could see him potentially being a guy that people would like, but hard to see him creep any higher than 10. Unless Byram falls, the talent at the forward positions are just too strong and too deep.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yzerman did an interview with Custance this weekend, one of the questions addresses the goofy Russian factor and basically how Yzerman doesn’t buy it at all. That absolutely shouldn’t be a factor when it comes to whether or not we draft Podkolzin, and fortunately Yzerman is aligned.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yzerman did an interview with Custance this weekend, one of the questions addresses the goofy Russian factor and basically how Yzerman doesn’t buy it at all. That absolutely shouldn’t be a factor when it comes to whether or not we draft Podkolzin, and fortunately Yzerman is aligned.
We already have Zadina, why get another selfish slow winger.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Should he be ranked where he has been? Is he higher on some team’s boards than what we have seen?

I don’t know. I like his game a lot.

Good at a lot of things but not really elite at anything? While above average offensively, I think he needs to be closer to elite offensively to be worth the 6 OA given his other tools. This just isn't the year for obvious defensive talent. I know everyone wants us to land a good defensemen, but there just isn't much low hanging fruit in that department.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Podkolzin went #10 to Vancouver in HF Boards mock Team voting.

I predict heavily that the final outcome in the draft is nearer that than #3 rank.

Red Wings are gonna have a chance to draft him at #6 and we skip him because there is a center available.

[/predict]

Reactions: lilidk

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Neither guy is slow. Podkolzin also is very far from selfish, reminds me of Landeskog with a heavier shot.

I've tried to do my Podkolzin research lately because I just have this gut feeling we're taking him, and I'm more okay with the idea now. He scares me because of his mediocre stats and being another winger, but I can see why scouts trying to project skills are high on him.

Landeskog is a pretty decent comparable. Podkolzin is very far from a selfish player. He passes well and has good vision for finding teammates and seems. He drives the net like Landeskog and is hard on the puck despite being average size. Furthermore he has tremendous hustle to play defense and can be counted on to tilt the ice.

In comparison to Zadina, Pods is pretty similar. They're both all around wingers. Zadina is largely defined by his elite shot though which Pods doesn't have an equivalent to. Podkolzin is probably better defensively and physically-could be a more impactful player overall than Zadina, but I'd take Zadina just because of his elite shot. Personally Podkolzin remains in the bottom half of my top 10, but he's a pick I wouldn't be upset with. Those stats still scare me- switching leagues too frequently or not, I like more production.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If Podkolzin is Landeskog like, I am way more for that pick. Love Landeskog's game.

So basically, I'm going to be pretty happy when the 6th pick comes around then.

Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Byram, or Podkolzin. 5 guys that I'd all love and there are only 3 of these that will be taken in front of them.

Prob would go in this order for me

Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Podkolzin
Dach

But all those guys in the same tier.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If Podkolzin is Landeskog like, I am way more for that pick. Love Landeskog's game.

So basically, I'm going to be pretty happy when the 6th pick comes around then.

Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Byram, or Podkolzin. 5 guys that I'd all love and there are only 3 of these that will be taken in front of them.

Prob would go in this order for me

Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Podkolzin
Dach

But all those guys in the same tier.

Nobody has really agreed on a name in my searching.

From the Wings perspective, I think he is the same caliber of prospect as Zadina, except in place of an elite shot, he gets a tick up in the physical categories. He may be slightly better as a playmaker. Probably slightly better as a two way guy.

But I've seen him compared to so many people, including Alfredsson (don't get it), Hossa (pipe dream), Landeskog (probably a realistic comparison of play style and caliber of player).

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Podkolzin kind of reminds me of a mix of Alex Radulov and Timo Meier. I can see some Landeskog too. Powerful wingers who are good to have come playoff time.

I can see the appeal, but I think we will opt for more of a possession driver (Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, etc.).

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Podkolzin kind of reminds me of a mix of Alex Radulov and Timo Meier. I can see some Landeskog too. Powerful wingers who are good to have come playoff time.

I can see the appeal, but I think we will opt for more of a possession driver (Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, etc.).

Yeah, it's more that unless the Red Wings do a Jahlani Tavai type move and go ultra-mega off the board for the pick, I'll be happy more than anything.

That's what I always try to set myself up for with the draft. Knowing that they'll get a good player whatever they do, as opposed to locking in on one guy and wanting him super bad (unless we somehow win the lotto, obv) I don't want to get to a place where I'm bitter that they didn't take MY GUY.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, it's more that unless the Red Wings do a Jahlani Tavai type move and go ultra-mega off the board for the pick, I'll be happy more than anything.

That's what I always try to set myself up for with the draft. Knowing that they'll get a good player whatever they do, as opposed to locking in on one guy and wanting him super bad (unless we somehow win the lotto, obv) I don't want to get to a place where I'm bitter that they didn't take MY GUY.

Yeah, it just depends on the year.

Last year I came around on Tkachuk towards the end and really liked the whole top 10.

This year Podkolozin does give me a little pause, with his dominance just being in the short international tournaments. I've also seen reports that he has been gassed since the 5 Nation tournament, which is a little concerning to me about his conditioning and whatnot. That coupled with his lack of a standout trait gives me some pause, I just have to be honest here.

Now I have a small sample size to go off of, and most recently that sample size includes games where was hurt and/or fatigued. So I do not really have the whole picture to go off of. I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to our scouts who are actually in Russia watching him play domestically. This is kind of different than Rasmussen, where I did not really care for him but had seen him play quite a bit.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've tried to do my Podkolzin research lately because I just have this gut feeling we're taking him, and I'm more okay with the idea now. He scares me because of his mediocre stats and being another winger, but I can see why scouts trying to project skills are high on him.

Landeskog is a pretty decent comparable. Podkolzin is very far from a selfish player. He passes well and has good vision for finding teammates and seems. He drives the net like Landeskog and is hard on the puck despite being average size. Furthermore he has tremendous hustle to play defense and can be counted on to tilt the ice.

In comparison to Zadina, Pods is pretty similar. They're both all around wingers. Zadina is largely defined by his elite shot though which Pods doesn't have an equivalent to. Podkolzin is probably better defensively and physically-could be a more impactful player overall than Zadina, but I'd take Zadina just because of his elite shot. Personally Podkolzin remains in the bottom half of my top 10, but he's a pick I wouldn't be upset with. Those stats still scare me- switching leagues too frequently or not, I like more production.
The way I see Podkolzin's stats is he put up half a goal per game and .66 points per game in the MHL, and was moved up because he was deemed too good for the MHL. You can hardly fault him for playing in a more challenging league, if anything it's better for him. The VHL is super low scoring and the KHL, well, he played 3 minutes a night.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would not be surprised at all if (beyond the first two names) our list is something along the lines of: Dach, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte. Big, playmaking center. Potential top pairing defenseman. Consensus top winger similar to how they valued Zadina. A similar type of player that aligns with the organization's current poster child.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The way I see Podkolzin's stats is he put up half a goal per game and .66 points per game in the MHL, and was moved up because he was deemed too good for the MHL. You can hardly fault him for playing in a more challenging league, if anything it's better for him. The VHL is super low scoring and the KHL, well, he played 3 minutes a night.
I agree that playing in higher leagues is tough. And more than that it's hard to get your footing when you are on so many different teams like Pods was this season. Still I expect a 6OA pick to have better production. He's shown enough projectable skill, and has decent enough excuses for his production for me to be cool with taking him... But that's still not production to be happy about.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, it just depends on the year.

Last year I came around on Tkachuk towards the end and really liked the whole top 10.

This year Podkolozin does give me a little pause, with his dominance just being in the short international tournaments. I've also seen reports that he has been gassed since the 5 Nation tournament, which is a little concerning to me about his conditioning and whatnot. That coupled with his lack of a standout trait gives me some pause, I just have to be honest here.

Now I have a small sample size to go off of, and most recently that sample size includes games where was hurt and/or fatigued. So I do not really have the whole picture to go off of. I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to our scouts who are actually in Russia watching him play domestically. This is kind of different than Rasmussen, where I did not really care for him but had seen him play quite a bit.

Oh, I'd certainly rather someone else on that list than Pod, but I'm coming around to Podkolzin as the pick.

If I were to rank who I actually wanted...

Turcotte
Byram
Cozens
Podkolzin
Dach

Turcotte - high motor guy who's gonna be fun to watch.
Byram - best D man
Cozens - Dylan squared would be awesome. Also, he's the name that pops up in my head when I imagine the "Detroit Red Wings select" banner.
Podkolzin - for reasons described.
Dach - Someone has to be last, but I'd be thrilled with Dach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cozens is actually the guy down my board in terms of the big names. Though his fit within our group is so good in my opinion that I wouldn't care.

Cozens and Zadina on opposite half walls with Cholo or Hronek feeding the umbrella from out high in the PP would be a real good luck Taken style to the other team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cozens is actually the guy down my board in terms of the big names. Though his fit within our group is so good in my opinion that I wouldn't care.

Cozens and Zadina on opposite half walls with Cholo or Hronek feeding the umbrella from out high in the PP would be a real good luck Taken style to the other team.

I was looking at my notes from last year, and I have recently become concerned I might be too high on Cozens like I was with Wahlstrom last year. Trying to feel that out some more.

Pretty torn on where to slot Cozens and Krebs at the moment.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was looking at my notes from last year, and I have recently become concerned I might be too high on Cozens like I was with Wahlstrom last year. Trying to feel that out some more.

Pretty torn on where to slot Cozens and Krebs at the moment.

Same two players for me. I am trusting my initial feelings on Broberg now. I might be dead wrong, but I am going to have him high on my final list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad