Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings #6 Overall Pick - Part Deux

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
On a more topical note, as much as I love the idea of drafting Larkin 2.0, our team can really use some playmaking creativity from both the forward and defense groups. I literally can't see myself hating anyone we pick at either 6th or 9thish, unless it's an outrageous reach.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't see us trading up or down, and it doesn't make sense anyways, isn't there only 2 teams with multiple picks, and they seem to be later extra picks. Whoever we get at 6th is going to be a good player.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think it would be silly to consider trading down. We are in a spot where there is going to be a great talent for the picking, no matter how the draft goes in front of us.

We are guaranteed one of Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Byram, or Podkolzin. Any of them would be a superb add to the team and I don't think getting, say 9+20 (which I don't think we get if we trade down actually) is really worth it. I think the gap between the top 7 guys and everyone else is worth more than the average 20OA. If we want a pick in the 20s, we should be looking to deal a couple of our seconds to sneak in there.

Reactions: TheMule93

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we want a pick in the 20s, we should be looking to deal a couple of our seconds to sneak in there.
And I really hope they do. Anybody compare the forwards and defensemen projected around 25-30th overall? That should be doable in exchange for their last two 2nd rounders.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
April 19th, 2019, Yzerman traded up by rejoining the greatest NHL franchise. I won’t accept any rebuttal.

Edit: he traded up one spot to draft Brayden Point, if memory serves.
7th round pick, but I guess he is willing to move up when there's someone like Point available. Not sure if it was necessary, but you can't argue witt the outcome.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
On a more topical note, as much as I love the idea of drafting Larkin 2.0, our team can really use some playmaking creativity from both the forward and defense groups. I literally can't see myself hating anyone we pick at either 6th or 9thish, unless it's an outrageous reach.
Have you watched Hirose play yet? There's your playmaker. We just need 3 more Larkins so we have one on each line, though I'd prefer to have 18 Larkins.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Without Discussing the #1 D man available, or the top 2 picks...

Of the remaining class...

Who is listed as a big character guy, coachable, strong drive, leadership, 2-way forward?
This describes a wide amount of our picks... I wonder if we stick with that even with Yzerman as the GM.

Christien

May 1, 2010

Who is listed as a big character guy, coachable, strong drive, leadership, 2-way forward?
This describes a wide amount of our picks... I wonder if we stick with that even with Yzerman as the GM.
Alex Turcotte and Krebs fall into that category imo

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I hope so. Don't forget we drafted Berggren and bring Hirose to

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

There are definitely character guys like that (Turcotte/Krebs), but I wouldn't describe them as "big". Hopefully that particular draft strategy is consigned to the garbage can.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Has Yzerman ever traded up?

IIRC he hasn't traded up in the 1st round, but he has traded up for players in the later rounds if they like them, Point was one example of a trade up. From a quick look at his trade history in TB he seems to trade up or down with some regularity, it probably just depends on who is left on the teams draft board. For a fun fact, we traded up in the 2014 draft to get Turgeon, TB traded up into the 3rd round to draft Point.

As for this draft, I'd like for us to get Turcotte or Byram if either one falls, if not I want either Krebs or Dach. I think as of now I'm leaning Dach, but I really couldn't complain if we took Krebs; the two are at the top of my 3rd tier. I think Dach and Zadina would be an absolutely lethal combo that could feast on some easy offensive zone starts while Larkin plays the harder minutes. Dach would also give us an elite forward prospect that shoots right and given how close these guys are it kind of does affect how I rank them.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm warming up to Dach a bit, being a very good add stylistically. But now it feels like any of 7-8 guys could be taken by CHI/COL/LA, so it'll be fun to see how the tournaments finish up, and the final rankings go.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If we were to pick someone "off the board" who do you think that would be?

Broberg. Definitely Broberg. If I recall correctly, Bob mentioned that some people have him as high as like #5 on their board. Feels extra possible with the chatter of Byram being off the board before we go on the clock.

This is assuming "off the board" is like a name out of the big 9-10 names that we hear discussed most often.

Reactions: BinCookin

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If we were to pick someone "off the board" who do you think that would be?

At 6? I would consider off the board anyone not consistently thought of as a top 10 pick. I do think the top 10 is that competitive. Consequently, I am going to say Heinola or Newhook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->