7.) Vili Saarijärvi - RD - 19: 5'10" 165lbs - Rovaniemi, FIN 48.84%
8.) Robbie Russo - RD - 23: 6'0" 191lbs - Westmont, IL, USA 32.89%
9.) Xavier Ouellet - D - 23: 6'1" 200lbs - Bayonne, FRA 48.08%
10.) Ryan Sproul - RD - 23: 6'4" 206lbs - Mississauga, ON, CAN 27.14%
11.) Axel Holmström C/W - 20: 6'1" 198lbs - Arvidsjaur, SWE 26.32%
12.) Givani Smith LW/RW - 18: 6'2" 204lbs - Thornhill, ON, CAN 54.55%
13.)Filip Hronek RD - 18: 6'0" 163lbs - Hradec Kralove, CZE 36.84%
14.) Jared Coreau G - 24: 6'4" 235lbs - Perth, ON, CAN 27.50%

Jared Coreau wins this round. Big goalie that has really come along nicely since having injury problems taken care of during his first year as a pro.

Kadeikin is the add this round. Though I will note they no longer list Kadeikin on the Red Wings prospect area on their site which is interesting or alarming if you like his progress over in Russia. Maybe they didn't elect to hold his rights?

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

As always offer an add if you have one, vote and discuss.

Unlike years past in the summer where we have gone to 25. With the drop off in participation at this point I think we will stop at 20 unless people have a big problem with that.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Joey Hicketts.. His IQ could crack him a NHL roster spot eventually. Just over Ehn for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Turgeon pretty easily. Frk next pretty easily. Expect Dom to have a nice season this year.

Add Malmstrom, and Elfstrom maybe after that.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
It's a hard choice at this point but I went with Turgeon. Ehn will be up next.

Now get Malmström in there!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know Hakan is very generous with his comparisons, but if Malmstrom could become our version of Ekholm that would be huge. Ekholm is a very good player.

Last 2 defenseman we've drafted that have been top 4 mainstays have been courtesy of Hakan (should have had Edler too), so I'm hoping he's found another one.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
At this point it really is a crapshoot. I could see Sambrook eventually being a solid NHL defenceman capable of putting up points. I could also see Sambrook never playing a single NHL game.

I think Turgeon is a safe pick here. He will at least get a few games in my opinion, and could one day be a solid 3rd/4th line energy player. Does anyone know what the organizations plan for Turgeon is this year? I assume he will compete for a spot in GR, but could also start in the Coast?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At this point it really is a crapshoot. I could see Sambrook eventually being a solid NHL defenceman capable of putting up points. I could also see Sambrook never playing a single NHL game.

I think Turgeon is a safe pick here. He will at least get a few games in my opinion, and could one day be a solid 3rd/4th line energy player. Does anyone know what the organizations plan for Turgeon is this year? I assume he will compete for a spot in GR, but could also start in the Coast?

Well they keep signing AHL vet randoms, cause you know lets logjam every roster X 100, but pretty sure he will be top 9 for Grand Rapids. Center depth on GR is pretty wack after AA gets on the Wings after injuries and runs with it. Maybe Svech and Street are the top 6 centers in GR? After that, nothing special.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I thought for sure Nastasiuk would be in GR full time 15-16 after his solid post-season stints there in previous seasons. Is Turgeon now really so much better than Nasty a year ago? I don't think there's a massive difference.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought for sure Nastasiuk would be in GR full time 15-16 after his solid post-season stints there in previous seasons. Is Turgeon now really so much better than Nasty a year ago? I don't think there's a massive difference.

IMO Nastasiuk has 0 offensive skills that are even average. Don't think the same is true for Turgeon, but we will find out soon enough.

Responsible guy, physical guy, great intangibles, but very limited offensively. I think Turgeon has some untapped offensive abilities.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Personally, Nastasiuk is done as a prospect IMO. He might carve out a career in the AHL as a 3rd liner, or ECHL as a top 6 guy. His skating isn't up to par, and his stick skills aren't that great. Liked him when Detroit picked him, but he never really improved IMO.

Turgeon on the other hand hasn't been tried in the AHL, so maybe he surprises me.

I'm not that high on the kid.

It's also telling that Detroit/Grand Rapids has as many vets as they do.

It's looking like both expect a lot of movement and want to cover their respective assets with depth.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Personally, Nastasiuk is done as a prospect IMO. He might carve out a career in the AHL as a 3rd liner, or ECHL as a top 6 guy. His skating isn't up to par, and his stick skills aren't that great. Liked him when Detroit picked him, but he never really improved IMO.

Turgeon on the other hand hasn't been tried in the AHL, so maybe he surprises me.

I'm not that high on the kid.

It's also telling that Detroit/Grand Rapids has as many vets as they do.

It's looking like both expect a lot of movement and want to cover their respective assets with depth.

I agree and disagree. Many guys have floated around ECHL/AHL and then found success in this system. Nestrasil in Carolina has turned into something really good. Nasty is like 20. He's got time. I don't think he ever makes it as a regular, but he could.

I also don 't get the hype with Turgeron. I think Hicketts has a higher chance of making it and sticking.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I agree and disagree. Many guys have floated around ECHL/AHL and then found success in this system. Nestrasil in Carolina has turned into something really good. Nasty is like 20. He's got time. I don't think he ever makes it as a regular, but he could.

I also don 't get the hype with Turgeron. I think Hicketts has a higher chance of making it and sticking.

Nestrasil did, I agree. Then again, he had some offensive skills. And I wouldn't call him pretty good. More of a place holder for better talent.

But for a waiver pick-up, damn good.

He was one of the situations that crap happens, he had to be exposed.

As for Turgeon and Hicketts, IMO, pipe dreams. Hicketts may turn into an AHL all star, but I don't see him being an NHL defenseman.

I hope I'm wrong.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

For me its hard to think of Hicketts without asking how many 5'7" defensemen do you see in the NHL? Junior hockey is not professional hockey.

I went with Ehn over Turgeon and de Haas. Turgeon has always been a better skater than Nasty, and for that reason a better prospect.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Higher chance of making it where? The NHL? I'd say Turgeon has a significantly higher chances of making it to the NHL.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Turgeon, I guess. I don't think any of these guys have a realistic chance of contributing in the NHL (though, immediately post-draft, that's probably a bit silly to say about like, Sambrook).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad