Status
Not open for further replies.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwings/

Anatoli Ustyugov died of head injuries after a mugging early monday morning.

He was a late round pick of the wings some years ago and never attended a training camp.

Now, the list of Russian players associated with the wings that have been seriously injured/died is Konstantinov, Fetisov, Kozlov, Grigorenko, Anatoli Ustyugov. Very strange...

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
I think their was also a prospect in the same car accident as Kozlov that was killed.

Kravitch

pavel datsyuk said:
http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwings/

Anatoli Ustyugov died of head injuries after a mugging early monday morning.

He was a late round pick of the wings some years ago and never attended a training camp.

Now, the list of Russian players associated with the wings that have been seriously injured/died is Konstantinov, Fetisov, Kozlov, Grigorenko, Anatoli Ustyugov. Very strange...

Are you saying most of these could be connected?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If I were Russian, as soon as I got a spot on a NA team, I'd grab my family and leave.

With the Russian Mafia wanting percentages from contracts, bad Russian drivers and Borsch, Russia just isn't a safe place.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
The Russian mafia killed Roman Lyashenko (Ranger prospect) like 1 or 2 years ago too. They said it was suicide b.c he was hung but it was made obvios what happened.

modestfwd

May 17, 2004
Seven_Nation_Army said:
If I was Russian and I was selected by the Red Wings, I'd just go ahead and hang myself, because you know it is not going to get better, at all

Anyone remember last year when Roman Lyashenko was found dead? I always thought the Russian mob had something to do with that.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
This was strange because from what I read it was called a robbery even though the only thing stolen from Anatoly was his cell phone, but money and jewerly were still on him. Anyway, it's very tragic and condolences go out to his friends and family.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
It's these kinds of acts that happen in countries run by the mafia, God bless Anatoli Ustyugov and it was a good thing that this Detroit prospect had some exposure because of his hockey skills. These acts might happen to a lot more faceless strangers in Russia and we should be aware of it.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
shadoz19 said:
I think their was also a prospect in the same car accident as Kozlov that was killed.

His name was Taras Kirilov, he was 17 years of age. They had a front crash with a bus, in Moscow in 1990 0r 1991.

Phanuthier*

I've read rumours that every Russian player has to pay the mob a certain amount, or else the mob kills them and their family.

Shame :shakehead

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
NYRangers said:
The Russian mafia killed Roman Lyashenko (Ranger prospect) like 1 or 2 years ago too. They said it was suicide b.c he was hung but it was made obvios what happened.

It was in 2003. I read a lot of papers about it last year and no serious sources said anything else than a suicide.

As ESPN, (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=1975): '' New York Rangers forward Roman Lyashenko wrote a suicide note, then apparently tried to cut his wrists before hanging himself, a Turkish police officer said Wednesday.''

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
paul99 said:
It was in 2003. I read a lot of papers about it last year and no serious sources said anything else than a suicide.

As ESPN, (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=1975): '' New York Rangers forward Roman Lyashenko wrote a suicide note, then apparently tried to cut his wrists before hanging himself, a Turkish police officer said Wednesday.''

IIRC, Lyashenko was on vacation with his family. Why would someone that was on vacation and with a good possibilty to make the NHL full time the next season commit suicide? Doesn't make sense. It's within the realm of possibilty that the Mob faked the note or had him write it at gunpoint. Who knows, it's a still tradegy and so is this incident with the Wings prospect.

Us Jackets fans are still puzzled as to why Zherdev decided to go back. A CSKA fan could have taken his leaving as an insult to the city and decide to jump him after a game.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Sir Ozzie X said:
IIRC, Lyashenko was on vacation with his family. Why would someone that was on vacation and with a good possibilty to make the NHL full time the next season commit suicide? Doesn't make sense. It's within the realm of possibilty that the Mob faked the note or had him write it at gunpoint. Who knows, it's a still tradegy and so is this incident with the Wings prospect.

Us Jackets fans are still puzzled as to why Zherdev decided to go back. A CSKA fan could have taken his leaving as an insult to the city and decide to jump him after a game.
I was thing the same thing about killing yourself on a vacation with your family. If he was flat broke drunk I would understand, but hes potentially making millions for the next 10-15 year, and on vacation? seems kind of strange to be killing yourself.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Sir Ozzie X said:

What a bunch of conspiracy nuts....why would the mafia target Lyashenko at this point so early in his career...a dead hockey player can no longer be extorted and would it not be more likely of them to threaten his family members, rather than ending the source of the cash itself? Lyashenko's big payoff in North American sports hadn't happened yet and it would not make sense for the mafia to end his life when their only hope of extorting from him is to keep him on the ice earning a big league salary

I tried to searching for an article about the possibilty of Lyashenko being HIV postive and that being the reason for his suicide but I couldnt find it, it was written a couple months after his suicide

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Max Afinogenov was beaten up around the time he got his new contract 2 years ago. Remember the whole "puck hit him in the head in practice, when he didnt have his helmet on yet"?

Alexei Zhitnik said he's had many problems with the Mafia.

BCCHL inactive

Sir Ozzie X said:
It's within the realm of possibilty that the Mob faked the note or had him write it at gunpoint.

Think about this for a second...

You have a gun to your head, and the mobster is telling you to write a suicide note because they are going to kill you and want to get away with it. Why would you write the note if you know that either way you are going to die? Why would you help them get away with your murder?

nurminen31 said:
I was thing the same thing about killing yourself on a vacation with your family. If he was flat broke drunk I would understand, but hes potentially making millions for the next 10-15 year, and on vacation? seems kind of strange to be killing yourself.

Some people have problems that even money cannot cure. It is believable that Lyashenko did commit suicide, just as it is possible that the Russian mob had something to do with it as well.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Mack said:
Slava Kozlov was in a serious car accident?

A long time ago when he was a prospect. Fortunately, he recovered and has had a pretty solid NHL career.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
pnep said:
Get your facts straight, really immature kiddo. It is very wide spread and every big russian star had to deal with them. There were a few articles a while back with Zhitnik, Zubov and Pavel Bure being interviewed about the issue, some said more than others. Bure is also said to have some shady links with some powerful men in Russia, what's for sure is the guy is well connected.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
littleHossa said:
Get your facts straight, really immature kiddo. It is very wide spread and every big russian star had to deal with them. There were a few articles a while back with Zhitnik, Zubov and Pavel Bure being interviewed about the issue, some said more than others. Bure is also said to have some shady links with some powerful men in Russia, what's for sure is the guy is well connected.

If Bure is so well connected then why isn't Fedorov dead?? You would think after stealing each others fiancee's that Bure woudl be so enraged after loseing Kournakova that he woudl of had Fedorov a pair of cement boots made???

I think the Mob stuff is really over exagerated now. It may of happened a couple times 10 years ago but I doubt its the epidemic that people in this thread make it out to be. But hey what do I know im not from Russia nor do I know any NHLers who are.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Van said:
Think about this for a second...

You have a gun to your head, and the mobster is telling you to write a suicide note because they are going to kill you and want to get away with it. Why would you write the note if you know that either way you are going to die? Why would you help them get away with your murder?

Some people have problems that even money cannot cure. It is believable that Lyashenko did commit suicide, just as it is possible that the Russian mob had something to do with it as well.

Who knows what happened Van, but lets play the what if game. What if the Mobs told him if he didn't write the note they were gonna kill his family too.

Also who knows why some people kill themselves. Sure their life could seem perfect to someone else but to them it could seem like a total mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->