Speculation: Detroit PP

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
It's been like this ever since Lids and Homer left. We need to get back to that type of point shot PP. Green needs to be the sole qb and Abby needs to screen. I think Mantha should be the down low guy below the circles.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I disagree with most of this, but really disagree with the suggestion that we are now somehow running a 1-3-1 power play. We played it for a good stretch last year but have hardly touched it this season (although in recent months it has been really difficult to even figure out what we are trying to do on the PP).

In general I think it is a nice alternative to aimlessly wailing away with point shots into traffic.

video

this is from earlier this year. Clearly a 1-3-1.

Larkin and Nyquist playing on the boards, Helm the net front guy, Tatar playing the high slot and in this particular video I think its Smith as the lone defenceman.

I've seen this set-up plenty of times this season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's been like this ever since Lids and Homer left. We need to get back to that type of point shot PP. Green needs to be the sole qb and Abby needs to screen. I think Mantha should be the down low guy below the circles.

No.

We don't need to go back to the old.

And we don't need to remove that current 1-3-1.

We just need to add many dimensions there to play in many ways, so PK units can't know what is coming. Be creative, do sudden almost "crazy" plays. Play sometimes in an old way (point-shots), then suddenly 1-3-1.

When we play only with one formation, every opposite team knows what is coming. Any power-play won't work effectively as one-dimensional on long run. Old "point shots" tactic also tried when it became "point-shots-only" -tactic. There has to be more ways combined.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Bingo. They dont move their feet after passing, along with the fact they cant complete tape to tape passes.

You know... you'd think they'd be better at completing a tape to tape pass after they telegraph the pass they're going to make for a solid 2 seconds. It blows my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad