Proposal: Detroit - Pittsburgh

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Detroit can offer up Glendening + Ryan to add depth to penguins bottom 6?

It seems they could be useful acquisitions for the penguins. Ryan can bring some offence to the 3rd line while Glendening is a solid checking Center that is excellent in the faceoff circle, can pk and skate. While not an offensive guy he has historically chipped in 8-10 gritty goals a year from the 4th line.

Detroit can retain money and/or take a contract back to maximize their return and create additional flexibility for the penguins if desired.

Is there any interest from the Pittsburg side?

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Glendening would be a marginal upgrade at 4C if the price is right, but I think they should be aiming higher

Not sure where Ryan would fit with Rust/Kap/Tanev on the right side, can’t see him being a target given what Burke/Hextall are said to be looking for in depth acquisitions

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
“He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary,” Burke said during one meeting, as quoted by ESPN.com. “It's never going to be in his vocabulary. He can't spell intense."

-Brian Burke's thoughts on Bobby Ryan.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
“He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary,” Burke said during one meeting, as quoted by ESPN.com. “It's never going to be in his vocabulary. He can't spell intense."

GM Poile: Burke was Ryan's biggest supporter - Sportsnet.ca

Maybe Ryan isn’t the right fit for Pittsburgh I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking. But I don’t think the quote you provided is very relevant.

I’m asking the question because Ive seen other speculation that Pittsburgh was looking to upgrade their bottom 6. From the outside I believed these pieces could be useful.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Detroit can offer up Glendening + Ryan to add depth to penguins bottom 6?

It seems they could be useful acquisitions for the penguins. Ryan can bring some offence to the 3rd line while Glendening is a solid checking Center that is excellent in the faceoff circle, can pk and skate. While not an offensive guy he has historically chipped in 8-10 gritty goals a year from the 4th line.

Detroit can retain money and/or take a contract back to maximize their return and create additional flexibility for the penguins if desired.

Is there any interest from the Pittsburg side?

There is nothing here that Pittsburgh needs.

Reactions: Ignatius

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
That's not exactly true. The Pens do need more reasons for Sully to not play Jankowski. This gives them two more reasons.

Gaudreau has been getting more minutes than Jankowski for some time now

They need an upgrade on him at 4C, not Jankowski

Little bit higher of a bar

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Gaudreau has been getting more minutes than Jankowski for some time now

They need an upgrade on him at 4C, not Jankowski

Little bit higher of a bar
Gaudreau has been getting more minutes because Sully has him filling in for Blueger on the 3rd line. I would be very surprised if Sully replaced Jank with Gaudreau when the team is healthy.

Reactions: BillPrep

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, I guess so. I don't think Glendening does anything over the top for us that Gaudreau couldn't do. Ryan would bolster depth sure.

We aren't paying futures or prospects though so we may not be the best training partners. You want Sceviour, Jankowski, maybe Riikola, or one of our 7ths? Sure then.

Otherwise, pass.

2021 2nd? Lol. no.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Only if you give us our H back

We could probably work something out, but be aware of a couple things.

It's a small h, not a capital H. That brings the value down.

It's a silent h. Sounded letters are worth more.

It's a consonant. If Wheel of Fortune has taught us anything, it's that vowels are worth more.

We'd be interested in either the first or second l from Anthony Angello's last name, depending on whether the Pens want an add for the first l. He could easily get by with only one. We also might consider the hyphen from Aston-Reese.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We were all in on C depth a while back, but now that McCann and Gadreau have acquitted themselves well as 2C and 4C options, respectively, we are happy with our C depth. The focus has shifted to a middle 6 W, preferably one with some jam, which isn't Bobby Ryan. I still think Sam Bennett will be wearing a Pittsburgh sweater within the next few weeks.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Prepare to be suprised
Don't get me wrong. I would much rather have Freddie Hockey on the ice than Jank, but Sully doesn't seem to work that way.

For example, how did this season start? Well Sully had his grand plan that he would play Jake and Kappy with Sid and play Zucker and Rust with Geno. Oh, but Kappy has visa issues and can't start right away. So does Sully change his plans and ice the best top 6 possible? Nope, he used ERod as a place holder for Kappy.

The point of that story is that Sully seems to try to build chemistry between a couple players on each line. When an injury happens, he tends to play the replacement player in the injured players spot, as opposed to jumbling the lines up more. Sully seems to like Jank for D-zone starts and for the pk and it looks like he has him penciled in as the 4th line C.

However, with having several injuries, you could be right and I hope you are.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Don't get me wrong. I would much rather have Freddie Hockey on the ice than Jank, but Sully doesn't seem to work that way.

For example, how did this season start? Well Sully had his grand plan that he would play Jake and Kappy with Sid and play Zucker and Rust with Geno. Oh, but Kappy has visa issues and can't start right away. So does Sully change his plans and ice the best top 6 possible? Nope, he used ERod as a place holder for Kappy.

The point of that story is that Sully seems to try to build chemistry between a couple players on each line. When an injury happens, he tends to play the replacement player in the injured players spot, as opposed to jumbling the lines up more. Sully seems to like Jank for D-zone starts and for the pk and it looks like he has him penciled in as the 4th line C.

However, with having several injuries, you could be right and I hope you are.

Sullivan likes Gaudreau a lot based off of interviews/usage and they've been using Gaudreau on the PK

I honestly can't see Sullivan taking out Gaudreau for a guy he's currently using ~5ish less minutes a game

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Sullivan likes Gaudreau a lot based off of interviews/usage and they've been using Gaudreau on the PK

I honestly can't see Sullivan taking out Gaudreau for a guy he's currently using ~5ish less minutes a game
As I said, I hope you are right, but we are also talking about a coach that continued to play JJ, even when there were significantly better options. I won't be holding my breath.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Maybe Burkie can put a fresh copy of Webster's dictionary in Bobby's locker room stall before his plane touches down.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, I guess so. I don't think Glendening does anything over the top for us that Gaudreau couldn't do. Ryan would bolster depth sure.

We aren't paying futures or prospects though so we may not be the best training partners. You want Sceviour, Jankowski, maybe Riikola, or one of our 7ths? Sure then.

Otherwise, pass.

2021 2nd? Lol. no.

Be 51.3% on defensive zone PK draws?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh, no need for Ryan...

Jankowski + Pens 7th 2021

for

Glendening at 50% with what's left of the season (29 days) that's .326 - 50% = .163 <---- At least I think I'm correct?

If you want some other guy that's a possibility.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That's not exactly true. The Pens do need more reasons for Sully to not play Jankowski. This gives them two more reasons.
Jank can help his own cause there by being a factor and using his size

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Oh, no need for Ryan...

Jankowski + Pens 7th 2021

for

Glendening at 50% with what's left of the season (29 days) that's .326 - 50% = .163 <---- At least I think I'm correct?

If you want some other guy that's a possibility.

I can appreciate that another team wouldn’t want to give up much for Glendening. At the end of the day he is a 4th line Center. That said, I don’t see a point in trading him if a a 7th is the best Detroit could back.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad