Proposal: Detroit - Ottawa

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
To Detroit: Logan Brown (11th overall, 2016)

To Ottawa: Michael Rasmussen (9th overall, 2017)

Could be a good change of scenery for both. Similar draft pedigree and similar production in the AHL and NHL.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Give it another year. But this kind of move (or something like it) makes a lot of sense. Both guys have had some bumps in the road, both will be in need of a new contract next year and both will no longer be waiver eligible after this season. This is a good offer OP, and is probably the only realistic trade between OTT and DET that is possible at this point.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Give it another year. But this kind of move (or something like it) makes a lot of sense. Both guys have had some bumps in the road, both will be in need of a new contract next year and both will no longer be waiver eligible after this season. This is a good offer OP, and is probably the only realistic trade between OTT and DET that is possible at this point.

Agreed.

Maybe not a whole year. If both fail to secure an NHL job this season and both are passed on by Seattle I think it would be a good summer move.

Reactions: golffuul

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Agreed.

Maybe not a whole year. If both fail to secure an NHL job this season and both are passed on by Seattle I think it would be a good summer move.
Depending on FA goes, maybe. As of now it will not be hard for Rasmussen to earn a spot on the Wings. To be fair, it shouldn't be hard for Brown to get onto the Senators.:laugh:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I see no reason for the Red Wings to give up the younger prospect for a similar struggling prospect from an earlier draft.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Logan Brown is just in a logjam at centre with the Sens. With a lateral move like this, I don’t think we fix the logjam. I take familiar prospect unless you can somehow do Logan Brown ++ for a centre that leapfrogs the logjam.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Logan Brown is just in a logjam at centre with the Sens. With a lateral move like this, I don’t think we fix the logjam. I take familiar prospect unless you can somehow do Logan Brown ++ for a centre that leapfrogs the logjam.

Nice sell job.

You’ve got Norris, White, Anisinov and Tierney with Stepan out for the season. If Brown was NHL caliber he’d have a spot.

Yeah Rasmussen is lateral but neither are held back due to the depth in front of them.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Nice sell job.

You’ve got Norris, White, Anisinov and Tierney with Stepan out for the season. If Brown was NHL caliber he’d have a spot.

Yeah Rasmussen is lateral but neither are held back due to the depth in front of them.

So you go from the same thing to another, I take the devil I know as opposed to the devil I don’t. Either way, you move Brown in a package to get someone better to actually get into the line-up, regardless of what the reasons are.

And Brown is as close to cracking a line-up as he can without actually cracking the line-up he’s done everything expected and some, nothing more he can do.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
So you go from the same thing to another, I take the devil I know as opposed to the devil I don’t. Either way, you move Brown in a package to get someone better to actually get into the line-up, regardless of what the reasons are.

And Brown is as close to cracking a line-up as he can without actually cracking the line-up he’s done everything expected and some, nothing more he can do.

My point had nothing to do with a lateral move and more to do with stating theirs a log jam at C in Ottawa. If Brown at 23 can’t get in even a single game with the current lineup icing a soon to be 33 year old pending UFA in Anisimov, or Tierney who hasn’t scored in 20 games, Stepan out for the season, Norris leading the club in points at center at 21 with what 30 NHL games experience at .5ppg, let’s just admit Brown isn’t being blocked be some strong depth C roster.

Last edited:

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
My point had nothing to do with a lateral move and more to do with stating theirs a log jam at C in Ottawa. If Brown at 23 can’t get in even a single game with the current lineup icing a soon to be 33 year old pending UFA in Anisimov, or Tierney who hasn’t scored in 20 games, Stepan out for the season, Norris leading the club in points at center at 21 with what 30 NHL games experience at .5ppg, let’s just admit Brown isn’t being blocked be some strong depth C roster.

Nice sell job.

Yeah - logjam comment was not right. A lot of Sens fans are wondering right now why Arty is playing ahead of Brown. If it’s a pump-and-dump job on Arty, I’m ok with that. If not, there is zero reason to have Brown in the minors once he is healthy (which has been an issue).

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No Thanks Between Detroit and Grand Rapids in 17 games Michael Rasmussen has 2 goals 7 assists for 9 points and Logan Brown has 0 points with Ottawa. Both are basically the same player rather take my chances with Rasmussen personally.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wings pass Ras is younger and slowly coming into his own. He’s been looking better each game. Brown has been non existent so far this year

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If Logan Brown plays 27 games in the NHL he is exposed to Seattle.

After the Sens get back from their western road trip there will be 26 games left. I expect he gets called up then.

Reactions: guyzeur

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
If Logan Brown plays 27 games in the NHL he is exposed to Seattle.

After the Sens get back from their western road trip there will be 26 games left. I expect he gets called up then.

It's 27 games to meet the exposure requirements from the NHL of having at least 2 forwards available to be picked who played at least 27 NHL games this year. If you don't protect Brown he'll be exposed regardless of how many games he plays

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
No Thanks Between Detroit and Grand Rapids in 17 games Michael Rasmussen has 2 goals 7 assists for 9 points and Logan Brown has 0 points with Ottawa. Both are basically the same player rather take my chances with Rasmussen personally.

In 4 games. Let's provide some context here.

Brown had 28 points in 25 games last year.

22 points in 35 games for Rasmussen last year.

FYI, I'm not a Brown defender. I'm one of his biggest critics on the Sens board.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

FYI, I'm not a Brown defender. I'm one of his biggest critics on the Sens board.

Brown is also older and seems to be trending down so far this year while Rasmussen has trended up a little. Brown is top 6 or bust, Ras has shown some ability to play on any line

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Why does Rasmussen need a change of scenery now? He's finally getting a legit shot at sticking with the Wings full time, while not looking like a complete tire fire in the process.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Brown is also older and seems to be trending down so far this year while Rasmussen has trended up a little. Brown is top 6 or bust, Ras has shown some ability to play on any line

Brown has been hurt this year and Belleville has only played a couple games.

I will agree Brown is top 6 or bust however.

Again I'm not a fan of him. Disliked him since we drafted him.

Injuries, attitude and work ethic issues.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yeah Rasmussen had 22 points in 35 AHL games with GR he also had a shoulder injury i believe that cost him about 17 games or so he was by far our hottest player in GR and would've easily have beaten Brown last if it weren't for missing time.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I’ve said this before and will again but of Detroit trades a younger guy it’s time to pony up assets and get something of value. Enough scraps and spare parts. It’s obvious Detroit needs top end pieces. Not saying Ras gets that but the need game breakers in Detroit is getting more dire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad